Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • DIY shed build
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I’m thinking of a 6×4 lean-to against my fence and the house. I’d use cladding on the existing sides and probably the same for the remaining two walls to make the inside consistent. What boards to use for this? A quick look suggests that T+G works out fairly expensive even for a relatively small shed but that was 14mm thick which is probably thicker than I’d need. I’d rather have something more substantial than the typical shiplap feather board. Although I could have featherboard on the outside and boards on the inside so I could nail stuff to the inside.

So any suggestions for boards and/or suppliers?

welshfarmer

Go for treat Yorkshire boarding like we use on agricultural sheds. Cheap and solid (150mm wide 22mm thick). T&G is usually sold as the pre-planed thickness so a 14mm thick board will only be about 9-10mm thick in reality.

You are Cardiff are you not? Give Robert Prices Timber yard under Castell Coch a ring. They are as cheap[ as anywhere and a pain free buying experience for a trade type place.

welshfarmer
    molgrips
    Free Member

Nice, thanks 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

WF I’ve seen a lot of sheds clad that style recently, how is it done though? Is it just butted against each other, or us there another board inside covering the joint?.

Looks great I reckon, I’m for building a new shed in spring, I’d like to do it that way.

trail_rat
    Free Member

What timber is used for the Yorkshire boarding ?

I’ve just done an extension and 2 sheds in cedar cladding in a similar style to that ….. While it looks good im not going to be able to do the wrap around the garage shed in cedar….. -probably cost me 3k in cladding alone….

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Seen a load of these sheds around Aviemore, looks like standard tantalised timber?.

welshfarmer

It is standard tanalised soft wood. If you’re lucky it might be Larch, otherwise just some generic soft wood. But it is cheap for the amount of coverage you get. In a typical shed you would have horizontal rails fixed to the barn and these boards are simply nailed to them with a 2″ gap between to allow ventilation for the shed while cutting down the wind and rain/snow ingress. On my workshop shown above I first screwed 50mm battens to the rails about 130mm apart and then screwed the boards to the battens, thuse giving the appearance of open boards, but without the gap for the wind to blow through.

Better with a pic..

EDIT; if you want the technical term for the timber when ordering (to sound like you know what you are talking about and get a better price :-0 it is sold as follows:

SAWN 22 X 150 HG CARCASSING TANALISED(143fs)

As an price indication I was paying around £1.25 a running metre for it

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cool. Advantage of being easy to strip out damaged or rotten boards easier too. Like the one on my shed I managed to hole with the digger bucket. 😔

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘DIY shed build’ is closed to new replies.