• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • DIY question, where to source long width short height rads?
  • DT78
    Free Member

I need to replace a few rads, need a few 2350cm x 39cm double panel and a 1750 x 39 .

Ideally I’d like a like for like size replacement so no pipe work changes doesn’t look like these are particularly popular sizes and not having much luck with google so far

captmorgan
    Free Member

Ultra heat do rads in those kind of sizes. There website is a bit poor so you might need to call them and remember there prices are often much better online

DT78
    Free Member

Cheers. Wow not cheap. Compacts seem to be £400~700 a rad. Maybe I’ll just run some electric fan heaters instead!

perchypanther
    Free Member

Those are some long radiators.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Mr central heating, online as well as shops.

nixie

Could they be refurbished (e.g. re powdercoated) rather than replaced? I’m assuming the replacement reason is because they look messy.

colp

Have you checked Screwfix?

TheFlyingOx

390 x 1759mm radiator

400 x 2400mm radiator

They’re the best I can find.

drnosh
    Free Member

Have a scout round some local streets – radiators left out for scrap disappear very quickly!!!

DT78
    Free Member

The current rads are single upstairs and both my boys rooms struggle to stay warm in winter and we have to use an oil heater in both rooms as well
    Downstairs I could leave as less important. Reason for change is more warmth rather than cosmetic, at a guess I’d say they are from the 50/60s.

Thanks for the links, those are more reasonable. Might try a local heating engineer to see if they can source then cheaper….surprised at the cost 🙁

welshfarmer

Could you not link a pair of 1200 x 400 rads and a pair of 900 x 400 rads to come pretty close to what you have now. Those sizes are far more common (cheap).

TheFlyingOx

Could you not link a pair of 1200 x 400 rads and a pair of 900 x 400 rads to come pretty close to what you have now

Not the worst idea, but with the extra pipework involved you may as well just go 400 x 1600 and 400 x 2200. Tiny bit of pipework extension required for each one but much less pissing about.

matt_outandabout

How’s the insulation, windows, walls and airtightness? Spending huge money on radiators might not be the best long term.

Is the air dry or humid? Our dessicant dehumidifier ‘warms’ rooms much quicker through dry air and walls.

DT78
    Free Member

it’s a 30s detached. so poorly insulated. cavity walls but haven’t had them filled as I’ve read lots of horror stories. roof has about as much rock wool as I can cram in there. I don’t entirely understand why bug my boys rooms can be 5 degrees colder than the rest of the house. radiators in their room run hot but not enough. when we had the beast from the east thing their rooms were around 0 with the heating on full.

I’ve looked at external insulation it will cost 10s of thousands and yo get the benefit and I don’t really want to change the outside.

humidity wise ivd no idea but I’d need s massive one to make a difference in a 5 bed house wouldn’t I?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘DIY question, where to source long width short height rads?’ is closed to new replies.