Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Disappointing bike budget – options
  • rickbst170
    Free Member

Afternoon all

Long story short, wanted a hardcore Hardtail 2018 onwards, modern slack geo, 27.5 bike for my birthday and figured I could spend about a grand/1300. Turns out I’m getting a load of bike gear/clothing, but the missus has a bike value of 500 in her head.

If I only negotiate her up to something like £650, what would you do with it? Keep looking at orange crush/nukeproof scout/Ragley/Stanton but look much older (2013ish) or stay with geo from last 2/3 years but sacrifice quality of parts/brand?

Also, if anyone wants to sell me their bike please let me know. Birthday is 2 weeks away so will not be immediately needed.

Sad times. Might just sit on the whole thing until I can find a few extra £££. Opinions very much welcome and wanted.

Edit – I’ve built bikes from frame only before so can welcome suggestions of build-it-cheap options. Looking at sub £700 build cost though makes me think a complete bike purchase will get more for the money.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Go second hand or sit on it until you have more.

toby

Ask for a frame for birthday, strip other bike / buy finishing kit with your own money?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Two Cubed, if you look at Go Outdoors at the right second, they had some in stock yesterday for a while.

chakaping
    Free Member

Already got another bike you can be riding?

If so, leave it and save some more dosh. It’s a bad time to be buying bikes. Maybe the worst time ever.

scotroutes

I have a 2015 Marley I’m about to part with but I’m guessing it’s too old for the sort of thing you are after.

loum
    Free Member

Decathlon had a cracking am hard tail for 750

joebristol

Maybe get a frame for that cost (assuming you’re after a hardtail) and see if you’ve got any let’s from your old bike that can be recycled onto the new frame and buy / build up anything else you need over a few months?

You can get some pretty decent groupsets cheap now (new Deore 12 speed looks good value) and Superstar have good wheel deals from time to time etc

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve just messaged you.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

but the missus has a bike value of 500 in her head.

Dump her.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Just spend more and tell her it was only £500.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Aye, change the thread title. Disappointing wife pish – options?

rickbst170
    Free Member

Genuinely laughing at my phone and she’s wondering what I’m reading lmao

gkeeffe

What size frame are you.

chestrockwell

Some one is selling a Mmbop frame and Manitou fork that looks in decent nick on retrobike for half your budget. Was tempted myself.

jk1980
    Free Member

How about up the budget a bit, but use cycle 2 work so you save?

funkmasterp

There was a Big Wig with a Pike in the classifieds on here not so long since. Think it belongs to Northwind.

hardtailonly

There was a Big Wig with a Pike in the classifieds on here not so long since. Think it belongs to Northwind.

Not any more. Hoping it’s on its way to me! 😁😁

rickbst170
    Free Member

Beat me to it. I emailed Northwind at 11pm but he’s replied to say it’s now sold.

Hope you enjoy it buddy. I’ll keep hunting. Anyone have an opinion on On One Big Dog? Slightly cheaper alternative to a Crush…but are they any good?

rickbst170
    Free Member

Maybe we do a build-a-bike thread; someone offer up a frame, other chip in and say “I’ve got a headset which fits that frame”, someone else says “I’ve got a fork with that steerer size” and we can build a STW special?

bikecurious
    Free Member

I’d do as others suggest and wait / save a little more, as frustrating as that is. Bike prices are mental atm, I could get close to what I payed for my 3 year old full sus.

Assuming things go back to something resembling normality you should be able to pick something decent up for ~700-800. When I was looking for a HT last year there were 2nd hand pike equipped Bird zeroes around that price.

Big dog looks good and I’ve heard good feedback. Considered a frame myself but ended up with a clockwork evo.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Disappointing bike budget – options’ is closed to new replies.