• This topic has 19 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by nickc.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Dinner suits. Which shirt…
  • Kryton57

I’m edging my way to senior statesmen and respected high flyer, yet I still find myself sans dinner suit.  This Christmas and a few other occasions thereafter, demand I match my attire with my reputation (at work, not on STW).

I’m starting a little low brow in the suit perspective before potentially upgrading next year, with an M&S classic slim fit item.  But, I’d like a decent shirt within which Armani scents and platinum cufflinks will do their damndest to walk confidently among the important people and warm the hearts of the ladies present.

Anyway, such poetry aside, what crisp white item will do me justice?   I’m usually a Tyrwhitt advocate, so this without tie is my first choice.

But…?

tor5
    Free Member

You’ll want studs.

Scapegoat

I prefer a concealed placket, and FFS get a proper tie and learn to tie it. Semi-collar is good.

footflaps

Last time I bought one, I received excellent service at John Lewis, their sartorial chap had me try a few styles / sizes and helped me pick one. I’d out expanded the previous one.

I used to care about being able to tie a proper bowtie but then I realised that no one actually cares once they’re over 40 and use a fake one…

Kryton57

studs.

que?

Edit, forget I said that.  I appreciate its the done thing but my personal collection of ‘links is something I prefer – a stamp of uniqueness I suppose.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Marcella front, proper collar (not wings, theyre for white tie), double cuff and ideally with studs. A fly-front shirt is OK, at a pinch.

Proper hand tied bow tie, worn slightly askew of course.

TiRed

Ordinary collar and proper studs. Get a slim fit too. Proper bow tie. Or for something different choose a black one with detailing.

Kryton57

Yes CFH, Marcella front from TC linked as above in my op….  Double cuff all the time in my wardrobe.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ah, hadn’t spotted the link in your OP, Kryters. That looks pretty tidy. Takes studs, too, which is A Good Thing.

On a personal musing, however, I have two dinner shirts, both from Roderick Charles (my usual shirt place). Might seem expensive/extravagant given I probably wear black tie only a few times a year, but the way I look at it, they’ll last me a lifetime. Oh, and if the inevitable problem occurs, having a spare on standby can be a real bonus!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Something from CFH’s wardrobe?

grahamt1980

I think you are underestimating cfh there, that isn’t in his wardrobe, he designed it!
    works particularly well with some of his footwear choices

matt_outandabout

Make sure your cufflink match up.

I was given some from a very nice school I worked for internationally. I’ve never worn them until a board meeting a couple of weeks back. I was instantly approached by one of the board (a ‘sir’) to discuss the school and my links to it. #socialcilmbing

Kryton57

Well everything is ordered but in my efforts to be a little casual I’ve made a mistake and not ordered a bow tie.  A nights sleep has left me thinking I need to enter the event with one, even if it comes off later.  On the plus side a rummage through my cuff link boxes reveals a pair of studs I haven’t worn before.

Back to online shopping later then!

Then after that, the which Watch for a Dinner Suit thread 😉

timbog160

Get both a proper and ‘stick on’ tie. When you arrive your tie looks good, but then later you can whip it off, and have the ‘proper’ one hanging round your neck Monte Carlo style…

Despite my best efforts my attempts at tying a proper bow tie always end up looking like ****!

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I clearly move in different circles to you lot!

phil5556

@Mary Hinge me too. I have no idea what they’re talking about. But then I did get married in trainers.

kilo

On the plus side a rummage through my cuff link boxes reveals a pair of studs I haven’t worn before

You know you wear studs down the front of the shirt instead of buttons not on cuffs? Not clear from your posts.

Kryton57

I do, its mystery why I have only two.   I tipped out my cufflink box and found them at the bottom.

DezB
    Free Member

I have no idea what they’re talking about

Same here.
    Thank ****.

nickc

Are we still wearing Marcella fronted shirts? I haven’t bothered for years. Proper collar, double cuffs and a real bow tie are essential though.

For those who struggle with tying a bow tie, you do know it’s exactly the same as shoe lace knot, right?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Dinner suits. Which shirt…’ is closed to new replies.