Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Different size wheels
  • akira

So after various riders in enduro and downhilling are running 297.5 who is thinking of giving it a try? I was thinking about it and it surely makes steep stuff feel less steep. Hmmmmmm

hols2
    Free Member

mashr

I was thinking about it and it surely makes steep stuff feel less steep. Hmmmmmm

Are you thinking that it’s useful to lift the front end? That can be replicated with higher bars. The main benefits are increased grip and roll-over afaik

kelvin

Been doing so on several bikes for the last few years. Suits me. Luckily most people never notice… so I’ve had no “pick a wheel size and be a dick about it” comments from anyone, which is a relief. Looks and rides normal… as long as you do your homework about axle to crown lengths, BB height, etc.

akira

Lifting the bars won’t change the head angle or slacken the seat angle so it’ll have less effect. Also I guess the longer wheelbase will make it more stable, essentially it’s all good, if you’ve already done the usual headset and offset bearings stuff it’s surely the next logical step.
    I’m mostly tongue in cheek but also slightly convincing myself as I think about it.

akira

Although already running 3×27.5 tyre on front so might not make much difference actually.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yes it was great, much better downhill performance on a 29er with 27 rear wheel…

Behold the Frankenthumper (aka Project 279)

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Good timing on the thread, I’m contemplating fitting the rear fat wheel with 26×4 Jumbo Jim and swapping out the 700×35 Randonneur Pro for a 29×2.35 G-One Speed. Ran this combo several times over the last few years, great fun, rides lovely and comfy on the tarmac! 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Different size wheels’ is closed to new replies.