Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Did Shimano ever make….
  • andrewh
    Free Member

a road STI lever, 10sp mechanical gear shifter with a hydraulic brake lever? Preferably Dura-Ace or maybe Ultegra.
    Can’t find any on the google, is one out there somewhere? Plenty of 11sp ones or 10sp Di2 ones out there but they runs into all sorts of compatibility issues
    Thanks.

tomhoward

No. There are cable/hydraulic converters though. Hope make one iirc

andrewh
    Free Member

Bugger.
    Oh well. Do those cable converters feel as nice as proper hydraulics?

funkybaj
    Free Member

There’s GRX/Tiagra 4700 shifters that are 10 speed. But from what I understand they are different to normal 10 speed and use an 11 speed pull ratio.

faustus

Yep, Tiagra st4720 levers. 10speed hydro. Pretty sure tiagra is the only 10 speed they have done, as they didn’t introduce it to the top end until 11 speed was established.

Same compatibility issues though probably as its road 10 speed / proprietary cable pull ratio.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yep, but it’s tiagra. But it works with new 11s mechs on old 10s cassettes. Not older 10s mechs.

Converters, nope. But good enough. I had Spyres for a while and assure from the awful OEM pads they were great. So anything like that would be my suggestion. There’s also things like the Juin Tech, Zoom etc which skip all the bearings that get gummed up and do it with an all-in-one hydraulic caliper.

nixie

My giant conducts aren’t quite as nice as full hydro but they feel pretty damn good. Leagues ahead of the trp cable brakes I had before and significantly better than my friend semi hydro calipers.

cp

My giant conducts aren’t quite as nice as full hydro but they feel pretty damn good. Leagues ahead of the trp cable brakes I had before and significantly better than my friend semi hydro calipers.

this is the best hybrid solution IME.

Full hydro is possible:-
    Tiagra 4720 or GRX400 levers for 10 speed mech shift/full hydro brake. Works with 4700 tiagra mechs, 11 speed road mechs but not any of the older road 10 speed mechs. Works with any road/mtb 10 speed cassettes within the cog size limits of the mech.

Good luck finding any at a reasonable price at the moment!

EDIT there was also Tiagra 405 shifters, but they were based around the 505 shifter shape and are generally hated.

crazy-legs

Bugger.
    Oh well. Do those cable converters feel as nice as proper hydraulics?[/quote

No.
    I’ve got a Hope V-Twin on my CX bike. When I built it, it was intended for the Three Peaks and was a very specific set up. The brakes work fine, they’ve always been superb – they lack the all out power of a full hydro set up but they were vastly better than rim brakes.

However they can feel a bit wooden, it’s not as smooth a pull as a full hydro set up.

Not sure you can get V-Twin any more. Hope probably have a few lying around but they’re not advertised any more. They were introduced to fill a gap in the market before full hydro was a common sight on CX but now it’s almost impossible to buy a non-disc bike and hydro lever are common even at mid-level groupsets so there’s really n o need for the V-Twin any more.

Kahurangi

I’m not sure what I have on my 2015 Arokose 4? Hydraulic brakes, 10sp 105 rear mech I think?

Haven’t found a spec list yet but “Arkose 4 gets the new Shimano 105 mechanical groupset with the new R685 hydraulic disc brakes. ”

/edit – it may be 11 speed and that I can’t count.

faustus

Rs685 were 11 speed

andrewh
    Free Member

Thanks everyone. Explains why I can’t find any then.
    So, what would people do:
    A) Tiagra 4700 10sp shifter, new 11sp rear mech (will it work with XT/XTR? It’s a cross bike so big cassette) and new hydro front brake caliper?
    B) Keep existing 105 STI and get a new cable/hydro converter caliper? Which one is best? (Best means most reliable and lightest)
    A is neater and probably slightly lighter and will probably feel nicer but more expensive and more faff. B is less faff and cheaper but is it a half-arsed job?
    NB. I don’t like the action of SRAM shifters and I want a caliper which takes Shimano brake pads as I have enough different sorts of pads already and my other road bikes take those. I don’t want to go for 11sp to keep interchangability of parts across as many bikes as possible.

faustus

4720 is the hydro version you need I believe. Mtb 10 or 11 speed mechs won’t work without a cable pull converter from jtek or wolf tooth. If you use a road rear mech, check size of cassette it can take. Grx400 mech a good option as it works 10/11spd road, has a clutch and takes 40t cassette (from personal experience)…

Aidy
    Free Member

Ultegra RX mech works fine with 11-36

Phil_H

I’ve got a hope V twin master cylinder that I’m not going to use.
    Drop me a PM if you’re interested.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Did Shimano ever make….’ is closed to new replies.