• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by aP.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Did I thwart an attempt to steal my car?
  • globalti
    Free Member

Parked in a street off Oxford Road in that Manchestah and when I returned to the car I noticed a couple of dodgy characters hanging around at the end of the street, one wearing scruffy flouro kit, but not the same gear as all the site workers moving around the area (there’s lots of building going on there).

Somehow the driver’s side door handle was stuck in the fully open position, very difficult to see how because the return spring is strong and it moves freely and can’t stick. This messed up the opening/locking sequence with the blipper but after a few attempts I was able to get the handle and central locking working together again. Been thinking about it since – are they hoping you can’t get into the car and will walk off leaving it unlocked? If so I dodged a bullet because my laptop and wallet were both hidden in the boot.

bikebouy
    Free Member

If so I dodged a bullet because my laptop and wallet were both hidden in the boot.

You did what?

wwaswas

There’s not enough thwarting in everyday life so I, for one, am hopeful that you did a thwart.

cookeaa

I thought the standard trick was a 2p under the passenger door handle. they wedge it in there, let you drive off, follow you to your destination.

Driver exits car and locks with the remote. Of course the wedged passenger door handle means the car hasn’t actually locked but you won’t have realised, and they can get in.

It relies on a single occupancy car (not uncommon) and you not noticing the locks not working (also relatively easy).

Wedging the drivers door handle sounds like a rookie mistake TBH…

toby1

Multiple attempts to unlock, probably just to ensure they got the key code so they can clone the key and come collect the car later. 😉

aP
    Free Member

Walks up to car, puts hand onto door handle, car wakes up, door opens. I do now keep the key in a metal mesh bag when its parked up though, but it will email me and text me if the door is left open.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Did I thwart an attempt to steal my car?’ is closed to new replies.