Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Did Gary Fisher have production facilities in Northern Ireland?
  • MoreCashThanDash

As per title really- trying to check a claim I’ve read, and Google isn’t helping as there was a well known paramilitary of the same name 🤦‍♂️

Anyone know if this is correct and the where/when? I got his biography at Christmas and not read it yet, but it’s marvellous and quirky layout doesn’t offer something useful like an index.

johnnystorm
    MoreCashThanDash

Thanks for that – there’s an earlier article suggesting the Trek deal started in 98 at “a plant that assembled bikes” but doesn’t indicate if it was Fishers plant originally.

duncancallum

@chipps might know?

jamj1974

I can ask him, he’s a friend of a friend.

MoreCashThanDash

That’s a very cool name drop.

jamj1974

That’s a very cool name drop.

It all came about because quite a few years ago, I made a new friend (Not Gary) online by gifting him an old band t-shirt (Black Crowes – High as the Moon ‘92 tour).

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thanks for that – there’s an earlier article suggesting the Trek deal started in 98 at “a plant that assembled bikes” but doesn’t indicate if it was Fishers plant originally

Didn’t Fisher go bust/get bought out by Trek sometime after 92 (when the e stay bike broke)?

Seems unlikely he’d invest in an assembly facility in a high wage country when bikes were then getting pumped out of Taiwan.

DickBarton

He wasn’t using Taiwan though, it was all handmade in the US stuff as a selling point. Trek bought hem out (for whatever reason) and did move production to Taiwan alongside their other stuff made there. (From a very hazy memory that is no doubt well out of kilter with what actually happened).

bigrich

Trek bought klein and GF and proceeded to ruin the brands

chestrockwell

They had no interest in the brands, only the technology and/or personnel that came with them. Never liked Trek after they asset stripped so many companies.

jamj1974

The call is out there.

MoreCashThanDash

The call is out there.

Amazing, surprising where random curiosity leads you on here!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Did Gary Fisher have production facilities in Northern Ireland?’ is closed to new replies.