Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Did everyone just dodge the wind this weekend?
  • colournoise

Or have I missed this week’s riding and pics thread?

Anyway, was due to ride Sutton Bank area today but knackered my rear axle and couldn’t go. Braved the wind to do a quick intervals session on the hardtail instead. First half was pretty hellish, second half coming home was a tiny bit easier…

roverpig

Wind wasn’t too bad, but trails were super wet and slippy with a bit of sleet thrown in for extra fun.

Bin

colournoise

100% Cotic so far!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Out on the road with my SS. Couldn’t face the mud on The Ridgeway.

Poopscoop

Was out late last night, as per that thread I did. The winds were only about 14mph down here but that was enough on the ups to destroy my miniscule legs! Lol

First Bizango!

kayak23

Went for a Cotswolds spin. Very nearly gave up in the first ten minutes as the wind was ridiculous.

Didn’t give up though. Turned out nice again.

daviek

Roverpig where about is that taken? I know we’re in roughly the same area and some of the trils you head out on look very nice.

weeksy

Nope, was out in it and riding into a raging headwind at times. It was great though.

trail_rat
    Free Member
    submarined
    Free Member

Wind schmind

Rangers descent

roverpig

Roverpig where about is that taken? I know we’re in roughly the same area and some of the trils you head out on look very nice

That’s the top of Bin Hill, up on the Moray Coast, east of Lossiemouth, looking down on the Rifle Range. Not sure I’d bother though. I was mainly up there to avoid the snow. There used to be a nice descent from that point but I discovered yesterday that some big trees have been blown down blocking it off half way down. If you are heading up that way, there are some surprisingly interesting trails in the bit of woods just south of Burghead though.

daviek

Ta, just looking for some different places to head to now im starting to find a bit of motivation again

dpfr

Nope. Out in it Friday and Saturday round the Dark peak and it was actually OK in a ‘Why do I have to put out 300 W to go downhill?’ kind of way. I wouldn’t have liked to be on a roadbike though. Just waiting for the hail to stop, then I’ll buzz out for a couple of hours.

Daffy

Skipped it this week. I hate riding in wind and 20+ miles of 40mph headwind didn’t sound great.

lovegoinguphills
    Free Member

I love headwinds. Great training especially if you are a time trialist.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Off out in 30 mins with a cold beer waiting for me at the upwind destination at about 12.30. And then a fun roll back.

supernova

The wind maliciously changed direction every time I did so it was in my face continuously. On purpose.

Saccades
    Free Member

Had a great couple of days cycling.

Discovered a loose spoke on the rear wheel so will be cycling with the kids tomorrow on my 30 year old Kona (with white big apple tyres, it’s a trail centre so should get away with it).

crazy-legs

I had to go out to Chester this week so cunningly decided to get the train out there (into the wind) and then ride home.
    55 mile tailwind assisted road ride. Was good fun, PBs along every road!

whitestone
    Free Member

Just got back from a 60km ride (road) on the singlespeed. Fun (not) for much of the ride, didn’t really help on the one big hill of the ride. A fair bit of water around but only one section actually fully flooded across the road in a place I’ve not even seen puddles before so possibly a blocked drain.

Bloomin’ hard work though!

timidwheeler

Short, very windy, road ride by the sea with Mr TW.

kcal

@roverpig — Burghead / Roseisle is a bit of an unsung trail heaven. Short but lovely.
    Yes, Bin(n) Hill descent looks a bit blocked. Same up Monaughty.

Anyway, I went out for CX explore round back of Dufftown / Keith. Got a bit wet, cold and miserable by the last 1/3. Today was trail clearing in the rain and hail…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I never looked like a good day to be out on Saturday!!
    But today just a few persistent showers and certainly got some wind there!!
    Urban loop out to Clayton Vale and back for me
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2dQ1cd8]IMG_20190317_125406348[/url] by Mike Smith, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/T5Hz75]IMG_20190317_132826940_HDR[/url] by Mike Smith, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/T5J985]IMG_20190317_135458262[/url] by Mike Smith, on Flickr
    https://www.strava.com/activities/2219860673

Nice bit of pottering around the streets getting a bit lost too

Drac

No, still went on the drink.

TiRed

Rode the surry rumble with my nephew. Surrey hills and Belgian hills. I do like a good wind. And 60mm deep section wheels are even more aero in the wind. If you dont die. Dodged the rain too.

lunge

Went running instead. 23 miles over 2 days, good mileage and not horrendous to be out.

beefheart
    Free Member

30 miles up in the Elan Valley- very wet and windy with a bit of sleety snow.
    Didn’t take any pictures as my hands had become useless numb stumps, as I’d put my winter gloves away because it’s spring apparently.

roverpig

@kcal thanks for the tip-off about Monaughty. That was on the list to check out next time I was up there. Maybe I’ll wait a bit.

Thanks for the subtle spelling correction too 😀 There are enough Bin hills and Bin forests around here without me confusing things further.

Alex

another 60km round the FoD. It was way harder than last week. Proper claggy mud. No photos as the wind was biting. Still considering how much the Wye has flooded, condition on the Yat side pretty good so the last two hours were great. And then we went to the pub. That was great as well.

But come on Spring, I’m done with cold and mud!

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Windy but OK in South Yorks.

Boston Castle Pano

Cheers!
    I.

dumbbot
    Free Member

March is just an arsehole of a month, just when you think spring is coming it kicks you in the nuts. 2nd week no riding,my motivation to ride has gone.

ps44
    Free Member

100k roadie sportive in the Cotswolds. The downwind legs were great fun – the last 10k straight into the wind was “interesting”.

ajantom

No wind to speak of in East Devon 😉
    Yesterday was a bit blowy, but today was blue skies and a light breeze. Almost summery!
    A lovely 28 miler with my mate Joe around the Otter vale and Woodbury.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Nice(ish) ride upwind.
    Nice bottles of cider at destination.
    Wind dies.
    No tailwind home.

colournoise

Slightly less wind here today, and actually a little bit of sunshine.

Gentle ride over to the woods, little bimble around and some trail clearing/building. The MTB equivalent of pottering round the garden I guess.

jjprestidge
    Free Member

Was ok at Wind Hill yesterday (ironically) although a bit too windy for the pro line. You still see people doing it in pretty bad conditions, though, which amazes me given the size of the features.

JP

easily
    Free Member

I didn’t plan to do any riding, yet somehow ended up on the bike every day this week. Rain, wind, and today even a nice bit of hail. Nothing serious, but about 100km altogether.

… no doubt once the sun comes out I won’t have time to get on the bike.

postierich
    Free Member

Van camped near Ribblehead but no riding due to floods and wind Fri/Sat came back to the Lakes for a local loop on Sunday afternoon
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/RsPZgZ]54521808_10157268963901474_5644857912061853696_n[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/24BG2yr]54525401_10157268963806474_3159899545240862720_n[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

paladin

roverpig

That’s the top of Bin Hill, up on the Moray Coast, east of Lossiemouth, looking down on the Rifle Range. Not sure I’d bother though. I was mainly up there to avoid the snow. There used to be a nice descent from that point but I discovered yesterday that some big trees have been blown down blocking it off half way down. If you are heading up that way, there are some surprisingly interesting trails in the bit of woods just south of Burghead though.

Theres a alternative end to the descent now, about 50metres before the fallen trees. Its a bit rough for now, but it should come good.

Agree on the burghead trails, was in there with the dog last week, think a fatbike purchase may be in order…..

russyh
    Free Member

Rode for the first time in tirpentwys just near Pontpool. Was absolutely minging and felt quite uneasy riding around the trees with them moaning and groaning in the wind. Proper messy day, interesting place to ride. Wasn’t fussed on the bike park trails, not really my thing but the off piste stuff on the other hill, with all the cars dumped down the trails was good fun

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Did everyone just dodge the wind this weekend?’ is closed to new replies.