Home Forums Bike Forum DH WC Body Armour?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • DH WC Body Armour?
  • yoshimi

Seems we’re all a long way from those 661 Pressure Suit type things. WC racers nowadays seem to wear very low profile amour. Anyone know what they use, just interested and can’t seem to find much info.

jam-bo

i think knee pads, long sleeve top, gloves and full face are the minimum.

very few wear more. even the leatt toilet seats seem to have fallen out of fashion again.

jimdubleyou

Claudio mentioned the lad (or was it lass? I forget) that went otb into a tree was wearing a back protector.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

As above, pretty much knee pads & that’s it.

Occasionally you see the odd roost guard, or maybe a compression style D3O top, but that’s really it.

P-Jay
    Free Member

There is a requirement for back protector.

Funny enough Rat Boy entered a DH race at the weekend (wasn’t Ft. William) and was disqualified before practice. He’d forgotten his armour and fashioned some out of cardboard saying it offered about the same amount of protection, UCI didn’t agree.

simon_g

This: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/fort-william-world-cup-2019-intense-factory-racing.html

shows Gwin in some sort of Fox chest/back protector about 3:10 in.

jam-bo

seems to be widely ignored if thats true.

sharkattack

Only in France.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Claudio mentioned the lad (or was it lass? I forget) that went otb into a tree was wearing a back protector.

Na, the Peter Aliss of DH mentioned something about ‘His back protector did it’s job’ despite the fact he clearly shouldered a tree.

manvstarmac
    Free Member

Na, the Peter Aliss of DH mentioned something about ‘His back protector did it’s job’ despite the fact he clearly shouldered a tree.

To be fair, he correct himself when they showed the slo-mo

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

UCI strongly recommends it, country of event can enforce it:

https://www.uci.org/inside-uci/constitutions-regulations/regulations

§3 Clothing and protective accessories
    4.3.011 All lycra-elastane based tight-fitting clothing is not permitted.
    4.3.012 A full-face helmet must be worn properly both when racing and when training on the course. The helmet must be fitted with apeak. Open-face helmets may not be worn.
    E0119 MOUNTAIN BIKE 26
    UCI CYCLING REGULATIONS
    4.3.013 The UCI strongly recommends that riders wear the following protection:
    − back, elbow, knee and shoulder protectors made of rigid materials;
    − protection for the nape of the neck and the cervical vertebrae;
    − padding on shins and thighs;
    − broad full-length trousers made from rip-resistant material incorporating protection for the knees and calves, or broad-cut shorts made from rip-resistant material plus knee and calf protectors with a rigid surface;
    − long sleeved shirt;
    − full finger gloves.
    National federations may impose in their national regulations and under their responsibility the use of other protections than helmets including for international events on their territory. The national federations are responsible for monitoring compliance with such regulations to the exclusion of UCI.
    A rider not wearing the protection imposed by the national federation in an international event shall be banned from the race by the commissaires’ panel only at the request of a representative of the national federation and under the responsibility of the latter.
    Comment:
    The riders shall inquire about any applicable national federation regulation. The use of protective gear other than helmets may also be imposed by national legislation. The rider shall inquire about this. Compliance with such legislation is the exclusive responsibility of the rider.
    A wide variety of equipment is available on the market that is presented and sold as protective gear.
    Some of these are provided by reputable manufacturers that may be expected to produce quality products.
    Yet, and except for helmets, there seem to exist no official technical norms for protective gear as referred to in the above article.
    Therefore it is not known at this time to what extent items that are sold as protective gear provide effective protection, as the concept, the quality, etc. have not been tested and compared with an applicable official technical standard.
    It is not known either whether gear that provides protection in a certain type of crash might provide or fail to provide the expected protection in another type of crash.
    Likewise the combination of different types of protections may not be adequate. For example a neck protection may not fit with a back protector.

daviek

Wasnt someone stopped from doing his race run last year or yhe year beforei bacause they forgot their back protector? Mullaly rings a bell for some reason.

yoshimi

Looking at a lot of the race pics from Pinkbike, they all seem to have something going on, most def have elbow pads and some sort of spine/chest protector – they just look very low profile….not like an old 661 Pressure Suit – hence wondering if anyone knows what they actually use

colp

Matt has a newer (maybe 2017) Leatt upper body armour jacket. It’s a lot less bulky than my older one, almost can’t see it through a race jersey.

beicmynydd
    Free Member

Simple answer, because it’s not cool.

yoshimi

Ah, seems to be this IIles

Cheers byascoyne!

Hey Col, I’d been looking at those! I had an “Aumery Pierron” at Stiniog last weekend and thought I should start wearing more than kneepads, but just can’t bring myself to wear some big bulky/restrictive thing – while ther I bumped into Pete that used to ride at Delamere, weird not seen him in over 10 years at least, said he see’s you now and again at Revs riding the 50:01 line !!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘DH WC Body Armour?’ is closed to new replies.