Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Dent near bottom bracket – alu frame
  • TheFlyingOx

So after a grand total of 5 rides, the new bike has a reasonable dent near the bottom bracket. No falls, so I can only assume it’s a rock strike. It’s about 2″ away from the bottom bracket on the underside of the downtube. About 1″ long, 1/2″ wide and maybe 1mm deep, running along the tube rather than across it. It’s on heli-tape, so the frame isn’t punctured or scratched. Not near any welds either.

Are these things terminal, or is it a case of suck it and see and I’ll still be riding it 6 years from now?

jonba
    Free Member

It’s a standard feature of any bike that has been ridden. You’ll be fine.

wwaswas

as long as it’s a dent and not a crease you should be fine. Even the latter will probably be ok.

Just keep an eye out for paint cracking/visible metal and investigate further if you see it.

JonR
    Free Member

Its dead. I’ll give you a fiver for it.

TheFlyingOx

You’d pay a fiver for a Pronghorn?

Mug 😆

gazc
    Free Member

did that to my heckler about 5 years ago, got a few more to go with it now and it’s still going strong. wouldn’t worry about it but worth checking for cracks to keep peace of mind

TheFlyingOx

Fair dos. I’ll just keep an eye on it then.

Cheers.

flyingmonkeycorps

Someone once told me that a dent on the downtube is not too much to worry about – because most of the stress on the tube is pulling it, the dent has little effect.

On the top tube is potentially more of a problem, as the stress is pushing inwards, thus increasing the likelihood of the tube creasing.

If that makes sense.

kiwijohn

I’ve got 2 there + another in the BB shell. Don’t know how I did that.

D0NK

did that to my heckler about 5 years ago, got a few more to go with it now and it’s still going strong.

check check and check, also got a ding on my etsx and had a bloody enormous dent on my inbred downtube, and seattube and some battered chainstays. All still fine….for now.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Welcome to the club. I seem to be able to do this to any bike I own in the first or second ride. Must be the nature of big rocky decents in the Peaks I think. ANyway, I’ve never had a frame die because of it.

M6TTF
    Free Member

my fuel ex has several beauties too – rides fine

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Dent near bottom bracket – alu frame’ is closed to new replies.