Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Deluxe and revelation upgrades
  • sam1988
    Free Member

I’ve a deluve and revelation on my whyte t130 that I’ve been slowly fettling with to get feeling good. The shock had been my biggest dislike progression wise. At the moment it’s full of tokens, one gnar dog and 2 standard tokens. 160psi and 30% sag gets it feeling plush and ramps up nicely but can still bottom it out on bigger hits. I’m hoping a rockshox megneg air can would take care of that? I don’t think there is any damper upgrades for this shock

The revelations ramp up nicely with only 2 tokens inside but thinking the start to feel abit wooden on repeated hits and seems to have alot of dive under braking. It had a charger rc damper. Would a charger 2.1 damper be a good upgrade for these forks?

Last question. The forks are debonair. Would a Luftkappe piston have any advantages over the stock piston?

joebristol

The Megneg allows you to
    Run more air pressure in the shock but still have a supple start to the stroke due to the bigger airspring.
    It’s not a fixed size negative spring – you get 4 tuning bands to get it how you like it. I’ve literally just put
    One on my Deluxe rt3 but haven’t ridden it yet.

I thought the charger rc was meant to be pretty good – although it’s not a
    Sealed bladder type damper like the proper charger. So upgrading might make a difference.

If you’ve got a 2019 debonair airspring this has a bigger negative spring than previous airsprings had. The luftkappe imcreasss the size
    of that again it.
    Probably a bit of a faff if you already have the upgrade rs airshaft.

stevextc
    Free Member

I’ve got 2 older Pikes, one with a Debonaire upgrade and the other Luftkappa

They are definitely different but I’d be hard pressed to say one was better than the other.

chakaping
    Free Member

The forks are debonair. Would a Luftkappe piston have any advantages over the stock piston?

I had one Lyrik with a Luftkappe and one with the Debonair shaft, I preferred the Debonair by a clear margin.

Neither really suffer from dive under braking.

joemmo
    Free Member

i have the Megneg on a deluxe on my Bird 120LT. It’s an easy DIY job to fit, will give you some more tuning options and you shouldnt need to run any tokens when it is fitted. At the moment I have it with 2 bands in and it am getting more useful travel but still with a good ramp up. Thats at 190psi with no tokens

I accidentally ran it below pressure on a recent ride and still didn’t bottom out on a series of drops to flat. Next ride I’m going to take out all the bands and see how it feels.

joebristol

I’m quite excited to ride the bike with the Megneg upgrade. Planning on a few hours at FOD – maybe a lap of the red to get things checked that it’s all working ok then do some winch and plummet of the dh runs.

sam1988
    Free Member

The setup I have with the shock at the moment I’m kind of happy with. I just don’t like that I can still bottom it out without much trouble on bigger stuff and that it’s at its limit on tokens to looks like from comments on here that the Megneg is the way to go.

Ill probably keep the standard debonair piston. Poss the addition of an mrp ramp cartridge as seem between tokens. 2 tokens isn’t enough and 3 is to much.

Am I the only one who doesn’t like the damper on repeated hits then? It’s a charger rc. I’m not sure if I should go for the charger 2 or 2.1? As an upgrade

joebristol

I’m surprised you’re bottoming the shock when it’s full to the max with tokens – but it depends on the leverage ratio of the bike and you’re weight.

On my Aeris 145lt it doesn’t ever bottom with 2 tokens and around 190 psi. That was with around 30% ish sag I think –
    I weigh around 12.5 stone ish I’d guess.

I find setting rear sag isn’t an exact science but I’ve got around 220psi in it now to get 30% sag with the Megneg. Going to see how it goes tomorrow – got 2 bands in the shock as a starting point to see how that feels. Will take my shock pump out with me in case the pressure is completely wrong!

sam1988
    Free Member

It’s a whyte t130s. With tokens it’s only 160psi to 30% without its 180psi. 13 stone kitted. At first I thought it was a faulty shock. I’ve spoken to 3 people with the same bike whp report the same thing

philjunior
    Free Member

If you want to avoid bottoming out, you’re going to have to set the shock up to avoid bottoming out rather than a set sag.

Setting the sag can be a good idea as you get the suspension working as it should for pedalling etc. but as you’ve found you can end up bottoming out depending on how you ride, no matter how many tokens etc. you run. I’m not sure many air can upgrades would be designed to be more progressive, often the aim is to get it more linear (I’m sure somebody will correct me about some air can upgrade I don’t know of). I would just add a few psi until you’re happy with the amount you bottom out. It’s not a bad thing to occasionally bottom out though, it shows you’re using all the travel.

With the forks it sounds like they’re running too much rebound or need a service (or both). In terms of dive, I’m not sure what compression adjustment you have, but the higher end Rockshox dampers do give more adjustment, so you can wind on some more compression with the little dial (I assume yours only has the big almost-lockout lever?).

sam1988
    Free Member

I’ve experimented with tokens and air pressure, running from 20% sag down to 30. At 30 it’s very plush on small bump sensitivity. At the lower sag it’s alot firmer and I don’t like it.

The Megneg says its designed wit to make a more supple top end, more support and more ramp up. That sounds more progressive to me.

I’ve Had the same feeling about the fork damper since new, it’s 5 months old now. I’ve played around with the rebound setting myself, used the ones rockshox had on the trailhead section and also paid j tech for settings. It starts out great but throw into a rock garden at speed it gets wooden.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Deluxe and revelation upgrades’ is closed to new replies.