Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Defibrillator theft? Why?
  • Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

Seen a few instances of this being reported lately. (NE England)

Is this “just because they can” or is there a market for hot life saving equipment?

Or are they the same sort of pond-life that launch all the lifebuoys into the Tyne on a weekly basis?

qwerty
    Free Member

Shocking.

dannymite1981
    Free Member

Heartbreaking.

mashr

This sort of thing gets me right charged up

scaredypants

Yeah, I’m mad AF

thestabiliser
    Free Member

The police have said to expect some arrests imminently

tomhoward

Can’t say I’m hoping for any arrests as a result of this.

Edit: GAH! 19 seconds!!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Also, perfect CPR based username OP

tuboflard

Very good, especially like the AF comment 😀. I suspect it would be a bit of a crappy end to someone’s days though if they croaked it as a result of someone going to a cabinet only to find it had been robbed.

funkmasterp

Revolting behaviour. I wish I could say that I’m shocked but, like the person that may need that defib, I’m not shocked in the slightest

matt_outandabout

Sorry – serious answer I think is that the batteries and components must be worth something?

Awful behaviour though – like stealing an ambulance.

Cougar

I think is that the batteries and components must be worth something?

Potentially.

falkirk-mark

Hope someone gets charged

matt_outandabout

I don’t think this thread can be rescuscitated..

dyna-ti

Just wait for it to recharge.

ernielynch

Maybe someone with a flat battery trying to jumpstart their car? Bit of a long shot but worth a try. Specially if it gives you the opportunity to scream “IT’S ALIVE!” whilst laughing maniacally.

MoreCashThanDash

Some oiks vandalised the defib in our village the night Christian Ericsson had his heart attack on the pitch.

Luckily the CCTV caught it all and some very sheepish kids had to pay for the repairs.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Don’t see what use they are in public places. Much better to have it at home next to the TV.

pk13

I live and more importantly work mostly out in the sticks( I’m getting old lol) there are lots of defibs in old phone boxes and village halls they all got nicked over the last couple of months.
    Apart from the batteries I’m struggling to see what’s inside them thats worth robbing them for.

Shitty thing to rob

towpathman

Potentially.

bravo

bentandbroken

I’m loving all the puns, but can only add a more serious post.

Our local Facebook page went ballistic when the defibrillator went missing from the old phone box. Two days later there was a post from a relative whose family had used it for it’s intended purpose. Apparently it then had to be checked/reset before it could be returned to action.

Maybe that last sentence could have been based around the fact that it had to be “recharged”, but I did not want to miss the important message

DrJ

Ohm my God. Just when you think people’s capacitance for stupidity is terminal.

Flaperon

This sort of thing gets me right charged up

People die because of shit like this and the overwhelming response here is to make puns that aren’t even funny?

thecaptain
    Free Member

No, the ones who aren’t making puns are all out marching in the streets.

Sheesh, what do you expect them to do about it? What are *you* doing about it?

Houns

+1 are you sure they’re being stolen and not used?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Why?

It’s un-CLEAR!!!

tillydog
    Free Member
    Flaperon

What are *you* doing about it?

Sorry, are you genuinely trying to make the point that making bad puns on an internet forum counts as doing something?

intheborders
    Free Member

A colleague’s OH had a heart attack in a shop just after Christmas, luckily there was a Doctor also shopping and the shop assistant knew that the shop next door had a Defibrillator.

He’s doing fine now.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Sorry, are you genuinely trying to make the point that making bad puns on an internet forum counts as doing something?

No, but I’m not the one complaining about *other people not doing something useful about it*.

MoreCashThanDash

That misunderstanding link reminds me that a month or so ago someone in the village was unable to open the defib when they needed it – the code from the ambulance service didn’t work, apparently.

Must have been a terrible situation, though paramedics got there in time and all was apparently well.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Don’t know why they are nicked but in the month before our Covid Test site closed we had to log a check every 2 hours that our pair were still there and not gone…
    Other sites had started reporting thefts.
    They’d probably be better off nicking LFTs and flogging them.

thepodge
    Free Member

Our work one has been out of action for months as we can’t get a replacement battery. I’d imagine there’s good money to be made selling second hand ones.

MSP

I would have though that they would be regulated items, and need fairly regular inspection and certification, so the opportunity to introduce stolen ones into the supply chain would be rather limited.

Phil_H

They aren’t regulated, You can buy them easily online although availability has been sketchy recently.
    The one we have at work has a 5 year shelf life and uses off the shelf lithium batteries.
    It regularly self tests and shows a green tick if all is good. It just hangs on the wall ready for use.
    I give it a visual check each morning as I walk into work.

I couldn’t imagine buying a second hand one. I’m not sure I’d want to rely on one “bought from some bloke in the pub”.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.