Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Deepfake technology.
  • globalti
    Free Member

This is pretty worrying; the technology of fake news is moving ahead so fast that soon we will have to question everything we see on social media and TV:

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/world/2018-12-11/deepfakes-and-new-disinformation-war

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Can I put my face on James Hetfield playing Creeping Death in Moscow in 91?

If so, I’m in

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

But more seriously, I can see a guy like Donald Trump’s, when presented with a video of him saying something that directly contradicts something he is saying now claiming it as #deepfakenews

koldun
    Free Member

Humans have had bias in their communications since they developed the ability to communicate, no news source should be unquestioningly believed.
    I would agree that the easy of creating false information is worrying though.

theotherjonv

More and more it’s sounding like the only thing Orwell got wrong was the date.

hols2
    Free Member

soon we will have to question everything we see on social media and TV

Thank God we have Gwenyth Paltrow to show us the light:
    https://goop.com/wellness/clays-to-fight-bacteria-other-stories/

slowoldman

soon we will have to question everything we see on social media and TV:

Well that’s a sensible approach anyway.

kcr
    Free Member

But more seriously, I can see a guy like Donald Trump’s, when presented with a video of him saying something that directly contradicts something he is saying now claiming it as #deepfakenews

Trump has already claimed that a legitimate video recording of him was fake news, so I don’t think this technology makes much difference.

soon we will have to question everything we see on social media and TV:

Well that’s a sensible approach anyway.

Correct. There are already lots of examples of people misrepresenting video and photographic evidence to mean something completely different without doctoring it.

scuttler

Key point here is apparently unedited audio and video is very plausible. It’s always been easy to question printed accounts and edited audio/video but if we’re being shown something that to all intents appears ‘raw’ then plausibility goes right up. As well as applying counter-techniques to detect editing, source checking will become even more important but that’s of course the domain of the journalist, not the consumer.

I’ve been teaching my kids not to believe stuff they see on youtube because people will produce viral vids for clicks/cash but they’re going to need to go to a whole new level of skepticism here.

CountZero

I’ve been teaching my kids not to believe stuff they see on youtube because people will produce viral vids for clicks/cash but they’re going to need to go to a whole new level of skepticism here.

Yeah, well, considering how many conspiracies are spread and supported by YouTube channels, and just how many people believe them; “well, it’s on YouTube, it must be true…”, teaching your kids to be sceptical about pretty much every thing they see and hear is possibly the best thing you can do.
    Having worked in print, and spent several years scanning and retouching photos in Photoshop, I know just how easy it is to fake images, especially when intended for print, which can hide a lot of flaws; it’s not quite so easy with digital, except when the screen res is fairly low.

chakaping
    Free Member

There’s way more important things than this to worry about, in both the media and wider society.

rene59
    Free Member

Imagine a couple of decades in the future. With all the stuff getting worked on just now, how will we know whether or not anything is real? You could have a realistic robot and 3d printed skins for it resembling anyone you like running about doing who knows what.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Я не писал этого, кровавые северокорейцы.

bikebouy
    Free Member

that soon we will have to question everything we see on social media and TV:

You have to question who doesn’t do that anyway?

Ever since Maggie Fatch pushed out random unemployment stats to appease some M&S wearing  know-it-all type, we’ve had “miscommunication” “lies” and “political spin” why even successive governments employed Spin Doctors to manipulate News and the broadcasting of it.

Makes me wonder why this topic is even being “broadcast”

🤷‍♂️

wwaswas

Image manipulation to fit the current political climate has always been done;

soviet stalin photo image changes

soviet era stalin photo manipulation

and we’ve grown up accepting it.

The fact that it can be done seamlessly with moving images now shouldn’t surprise anyone

globalti
    Free Member

I’m sure the film industry is leading the technology, starting with CGI.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Deepfake technology.’ is closed to new replies.