• This topic has 30 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Del.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Decent Rear Light
  • funkmasterp

Looking for a decent rear light for the MTB. Only getting chance to take exercise once kids are in bed. Would be good to get something that will be okay for once the lockdown has lifted too. Last few I’ve had have died relatively quickly when used off road. Local trails are linked by a few road sections so needs to be left on the bike.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’ve been using Moon Shields on gnarmac and MTB for a while now and highly recommend them. Or, whatever newer Moon takes your fancy.

kilo

Exposure Trace(R), got a few of them, very good light

welshfarmer

I had a little Leyzene Femto one on my MTB for years until it finally parted company from the bike when I fell down a ravine! Was non-rechargeable but the little battery seemed to last a season.

Same as these

https://www.probikekit.co.uk/cycling-accessories/lezyne-led-femto-drive-rear/10825084.html?affil=thggpsad&switchcurrency=GBP&shippingcountry=GB&variation=10825088&shoppingpid=spend_save_ss_091017_&&thg_ppc_campaign=71700000058223437&gclsrc=ds&gclsrc=ds

dudeofdoom

I’ve been using big Knogg Cobbers not cheap but very visible.

BadlyWiredDog

+1 for the Trace-R, though silicone grease under the switch cover is a good call.

bsims
    Free Member

I have the older version of this and has been permenantly attched to my general bike (except when charging) for 7 years, so fine in all weathers. I like the optional flashing amber which is visable from the side. The bright setting is very vissible in day as well.

Vis 180 Pro

b33k34

I don’t think you need anything super bright on the back – even cheap rear lights have been visible for huge distances for many years. The super bright stuff is horrible if you’re riding anywhere near other cyclists – completely destroys their night vision. Also pay attention to the angle of the light and don’t mount it on your helmet (which is eye level for following riders).

I think the Tracer is one of the worst for this. Far too bright and the bracket doesn’t have an adjustable angle so often mounted really badly (angle depends on seat tube angle).

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve this https://www.evanscycles.com/fwe-rechargeable-rear-light-15-lumen-EV244786

Plenty bright enough, has four modes including two flashing. The clip on the back of the unit is well thought out: it can mount it to a loop on your rucksack using the sprung clip but the clip also has a keyhole so it can mount on the seat post strap that comes with it.

funkmasterp

Cheers all. Plenty to look into

CraigW
    Free Member

Fenix BC05R. It is a neat little light, easy to strap onto the seatpost or clip onto a bag etc. Bright enough. USB C charging.
    https://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/Shop/Fenix-Torches/Bike-Lights/13804-Fenix-BC05R.html

djflexure

I’d get 2 lights if you are planning going out at night. I have one on steady the other flashing. I have a third on the helmet, but dont always have it on (like a reserve)

I use daybright ones all the time to be honest.

I run an Exposure Tracer and Flare at present and they do the job well.

gordon85
    Free Member

Exposure, again.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Moon Nebula. Oh yes.

slowoldman

Exposure Trace(R)

+another 1. Beautifully made, should last.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

I’ve got a Exposure Blaze with reackt, use it on the bike and on my motorbike (clipped to rucksack). it’s working fine after two winters of commuting in all weathers.

qwerty
    Free Member

Exposure TraceR

ampthill

Exposure Trace(R), got a few of them, very good light

Brilliant

Yes if you use day bright mode at night it’s too bright. But there’s a simple solution there

molgrips
    Free Member

Cateye Rapid X3 – best thing ever. Really is amazing.

Whydot

I’ve been using a See.Sense Ace – really nice little light, ‘smart’, Bluetooth etc.

Small Northern irish company, really good bit of kit.

The light pattern is excellent as well, very bright without being focused, so good on road without blinding drivers.

sandwicheater

Moon shield has proved itself solid, had it coming on two years, used weekly on the road bike and mtb in all the bad conditions.

Can be had for about £20 ish pounds.

andy5390

I had a TraceR mounted on my helmet (vent positions meant I could use the seat post mount, with a bigger rubber band thing) And one of those Aldi Moon clones on my seat pack

I often got “Lit up like a xmas tree” comments from colleagues who passed me on the way into work

andybrad

having broken most rear lights

i would concur about getting 2.

the see sense light was great in theory but died very quickly on the mtb. they dragged their heals about replacement for over a month as well. Wouldnt use again.

moon was ok. bracket snapped and lost it.

lesyne was nice , snapped bracket and lost it.

pharrt snapped bracket and lost it. others lasted a year. good value

knog. only one to be actually waterproof. casing snapped and cant be replaced.

cateye, currently on the bike.

Yak

Ok, in a similar fashion:

Phartt 2 led one – pretty good, but used with a cateye bracket as the supplied one was rubbish. Sometimes filled up with water, but always dried out and worked again. Best to wrap some tape around the seal. Not rechargeable

Knog something. The square one. This is brilliant. Totally sealed and waterproof. If you don’t need super long run-times this is pretty good.

Moon Shield. Very good, but died just after a year or so.

Exposure Blaze. Really bright, but did fail mid-ride after a few months. Exposure fixed it and had it back within a few days as usual.

Get 2, but if you are only going to get 1, the knog would be my pick.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I got one of these. Lives on my bike under saddle. Auto on off, flash, slow and full. Day light running light. Motion sensor works as a brake light. Cheap too.

https://www.bikebug.com/enfitnix-cubelite-ii-smart-tail-light.html

null

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Anyone still running a ‘holy hand grenade’?

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

I’ve got a Exposure Flare and I hate it…. been back twice now, once the charger was knackered and once for the light it self, it’s never consistently works even now. While I love my Exposure front light I wouldn’t bother with their rear again (is the TraceR worth the upgrade?). I’ve got something like this BTR one on the back that I had as a back up for the Flare but it’s become my main light.. BTR

I miss my Fibre Flare, that was brilliant.

molgrips
    Free Member

So what about ‘smart’ lights then? What do they do?

corkblork
    Free Member

So what about ‘smart’ lights then? What do they do?

Auto turn on/off with either motion or daylight sensors. Sometimes a brake light function.

Speaking of, I’ve been using this with no complaints: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xlite-100-Brake-Induction-Bicycle-Taillight-LED-Indicator-USB-Rechargeable-Sport/113892928663?hash=item1a848c2c97:g:qHsAAOSwEXhdgd3K

Del

Anyone still running a ‘holy hand grenade’?

Yep! Has lived on my pack for about 10 years now! 🙂

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Decent Rear Light’ is closed to new replies.