Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Dead Garmin Edge 800
  • bullandbladder
    Free Member

My Edge 800 won’t boot up and gets stuck on ‘loading maps’.
    Computer refuses to acknowledge its existence when plugged in (the 800 doesn’t have Bluetooth).
    I’ve done the factory reset and it looks as if it actually has reset because the background on the reset screen has changed – but it still won’t go past ‘loading maps’.

Anybody recovered one from this state? Googling suggests it’s fairly common but none of the solutions has worked for me.

Garmin say it’s kaput and will upgrade me with a hefty discount, but I’m not ready to give up yet☹️

StirlingCrispin

I have a Garmin Edge Explore.

Maps can be updated, added to and removed by connecting to a PC via USB cable.
    My guess is that a map file on your device is corrupted.
    Remove the (corrupted) map files and then see if the GPS starts.

If it does, copy across a map file from Talky Toaster – or ask nicely on here for a replacement one.

scotroutes

Does it have an SD card in it? Try removing that and rebooting.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If it does, copy across a map file from Talky Toaster – or ask nicely on here for a replacement one.

I don’t think that works, I tried to transfer mine to a faster SD card to improve it, and the Garmin refused to accept it. The OS map files seem to be tied to the SD card they came on.

I’ve since swapped to OSM maps which are vector files that load much quicker anyway. Just slightly more painful having to navigate a different set of symbology for bridleways, byways etc and the occasional inaccuracy e.g. it refuses to route unless two paths actually intersect where in reality they sometimes get drawn upto a summit/field/area and don’t actually intersect.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Thanks, all. Tried it with and without the map card inserted, same result.
    Can’t update the onboard maps because the computer won’t recognise the device.

rickmeister

Guess you are using a data cable, not just a charging one…

bullandbladder
    Free Member

@rickmeister, yeah the Garmin cable that came with it (and tried another to make sure it’s not a duff cable)

reluctantjumper

My 800 did similar after a trip through the washing machine. I just left it plugged into the charger for a few hours (think it was 3/4) and it suddenly sprung back into life. My 810 has done it too after a hard knock into a tree while in my bars, same trick worked with that too. If you can take it to work tomorrow and leave it on a desk plugged in all day it might come back to life.

Edited to add: take the card out while doing it, the unit will then only load up the basemap and you then know whether it’s a faulty unit or a corrupted SD card.

PJay
    Free Member

There could be something here for you – https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=PsxSBlFqTL57tN38aI6m29

sandwicheater

I had similar with my 800, frequent soakings/death and it always came back after a week in a bag of rice until it didn’t. True story.

Computer/s didn’t recognise and you could see port you could see rust/blue copper ‘stuff’.

Sold as spares and repairs for £20 and picked up a 820 for £70 ish. Not having to sink via a cable is great.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Dead Garmin Edge 800’ is closed to new replies.