• This topic has 42 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Gunz.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Days out in snowdonia/north Wales.
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Been visiting for years but never had a full week there. Going for the whit holidays Monday to Monday. Staying near porthmadog. The Saturday will be taken up by me and laddo attending the enduro at llandegla, but we have the rest of the week free. Know the area very well don’t mind a bit of travel but nothing huge.

Possibilities so far,
    Zip line (pricey)
    Underground adventure go ape thing, not the zip one as V pricey.
    Antur uplift (girls can’t do)
    Walk up Snowdon (Never done, best route?)
    Surf snowdonia but it’s only an hour

Previously done bounce below and forest coaster

Really active family, so up for anything, kids 17/14, some cheap/free days would be good as I’m a tight bastard but don’t mind spending if it’s worth it.
    Big walks, rafting just cool family days out, dog coming too so would be nice to get him out if poss.

TIA

blokeuptheroad

If you’ve a head for heights the best way up Snowdon on a clear day is Crib Goch. Bit of exposure on the ridge and a bit of scrambling needed here and there but nothing too taxing. Avoid in high winds though. Be prepared for the hordes at the top who’ve come up on the train or one of the easier routes.

Tryfan is a better bet IMHO. Not as crowded as Snowdon though the summit can still be busy. A proper mountain which also needs a bit of scrambling to get up. Loads of iconic photo spots too like the cannon, Adam and Eve and (if you carry on to the Glydrs) cantilever rock.

Kamakazie

Couple of things I’ve enjoyed are:
    CAT – Centre for Alternative Technology
    Portmeirion
    Harlech Castle
    And there are tonnes of walks but particularly liked Trawsfynydd reservoir for the dam / reactors.

bertmason
    Free Member

Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife Reserve. It’s not far from Porthmadog. It’s good for a couple of hours-more so now the Ospreys have returned.

Spud

Drive onto Blackrock Sands and have a wander with the dog. Watch out for the odd manic boy racer.
    Jump on the train from Porthmadog to Criccieth, mooch on the beach, beer/ lunch at Dylans.
    If taking bikes, head to Barmouth and then over the bridge and down the Mawddach trail, the George III has been very recently renovated, but not been in since it was still closed in Feb.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

A few road cycling climbs of note in area…
    Stwlan Dam
    Bwlch Y Groes
    Hirnant Pass
    Ffordd Pen LLech

Spud

Oh, and if it’s not too far away, definitely recommend Idris Stores in Corris for food, cakes, coffee. You might also see the Athertons in there. Then pop down the road to the Dyfi distillery.

ElShalimo

If you’ve got 2 cars, or can arrange the return transport, the Nantlle Ridge is probably the best walk in all of Wales.

It’s best done as a linear walk walking towards the sea, starting at Rhyd-Du and end at Nebo. There are local taxi companies if public transport isn’t feasible.

Kahurangi

Bit of canyoning or whitewater?

dissonance

rafting

There is the national whitewater centre at Tryweryn. Easy enough access from Snowdonia.
    What about a bit of sea kayaking or cove hopping.

Marin
    Free Member

If the weathers pants Go Below mine tours are good fun and handy for a visit to Conwy Fallls cafe.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Yup, rafting is def on the maybe list. Done the black rock beach thing, any idea which bits we can take the dog on as it’s no dog season apparentky but its only for certain areas I believe. Last time we went we drove on to the sand with the little caravan site to our left, presume that’s the out of bounds bit?

allfankledup

Go to Criccieth and walk down towards BlackRock. A huge expanse of sand, it’s always been fairly deserted when we’ve been there. Nice ice-cream as well. Dog friendly

Glosters in PorthMadog for a browse (lovely pottery, some great stuff and worth supporting).

Walk out from Morfa Nefyn along the golf course (in the evening, once the golfers stop) – beautiful part of the world, return via the Lifeboat station and the pub on the beach

Day on the beach at Llanbedrog – we holidayed here for 3 years

Lunch at Pete’s Eats in Llanberis. Lovely place to sit

Climbing (and castle) in Caernarvon, Beacon Climbing – the crazy climb is fun

Coed Y Brenin is to your south, Mawddach trail etc.

We drove down to the red kite place (Gigrin farm) near Rhayader, a good way south but proper,proper awesome

Ambrose

Walk around Cwm Idwal, visiting the Devil’s Kitchen.
    Visit the Llanberis Slate Quarry Museum.
    Poke about in the quarries above Llanberis. Similarly in Blaenau Ffestiniog. If you decide to enter any of the tunnels, take great care!
    Ride a little train, loads to choose from.
    Portmeirion.
    Climb Cnicht, the best views in Wales await you from the top.
    Spend a night in a bothy- Arenig Fawr? Dulyn? Cae Amos? Penrhos Isaf?
    Electric Mountain is really cool if you like massive engineering.

And everything mentioned above.

fossy

Ride Gwydir Forest – Loved it with 7 of us this weekend on Sunday, after doing 2 laps of Llandegla on Sat. Gwydir is fab. You can do the small loop with the kids – some serious climbing though. The main route is fab. Dragons back really sticks with me.

It’s a hard day out, needs a trail bike – not an enduro.

jkomo

Walked up Cadir Idris last weekend, it’s a good day out, but a hard walk, harder than Snowdon and much more quiet.
    No expert, bit of the four I’ve done with kids Rydd Ddu is the best for views and fun- a bit scrambly dangerous feeling at top (but it’s not really).
    Llanberis has some amazing old quarries you can walk around- have a google.
    All of above are free- take a picnic to make even betterer.
    Loads of watersprot on Bala lake. Not free.

slowoldman

If you’ve a head for heights the best way up Snowdon on a clear day is Crib Goch.

If you are happy with exposed scrambling. If not my favourite is the Watkin path (well not including a secret scramble I’m not telling you lot about). Agree with Tryfan too, though finding the start of the North ridge if you want that route, is a bit tricky the first time.

campalumpa
    Free Member

You can rent paddleboards by Llyn Padarn in Llanberis and paddleboard there.

Also on north side of Padarn there are the Dinorwig quarries. Great for an explore over all the different levels and lots of safe mine tunnels – the double one behind Dali’s hole is good – try and spot the banksy style graffiti

Get the book wild wales for lots of other ideas on off the beaten track and free stuff

Surfing or boogie boarding at Hell’s mouth

wrightyson
    Free Member

Was thinking of taking the wetsuits and body boards. Where are the best beaches for that, must be lifeguarded though as it’s the only thing I go all elfandsafety about, due to me only being able to swim well enough to save myself and not the kids 😂

ThePinkster

If you’re looking for something out of the weather there’s always Electric Mountain

Or if you want to stay outdoors this is quite useful too, with a few suggestions on it Outdoor North Wales

mrsheen
    Free Member

Can recommend the Welsh Highland Railway routes. Caernarvon Portmadog return takes up 6 hours. You could stop midway for walking. Llanberis is a good base for stuff. National Slate Museum is free.

mrsheen
    Free Member

Electric Mountain closed for refurbishment. Plenty of other stuff nearby to do though.

dyls

1) Hire a bike at beics betws and go family cycling up to llyn elsi in betws y coed on the forestry tracks, very nice there.

2) Go up snowdon from llanberis, or get a bus to pen y pass and go up the miners or pyg track, and then down on the llanberis path. If inexperienced id stay away from crib goch.

3) not cheap but the steam train from blaenau to porthmadog, or porthmadog to caernarfon is nice. Good one if the weather is wet.

3) antur stiniog for you, and the zip wire for the family? both in the same place.

4) black rock sands in nice near porthmadog.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Bookmarked. We are probably going to North Wales this summer.

mark90
    Free Member

Lots of good suggestions already.

A walk along the coast/dunes taking in Llanddwyn island on Anglesey is a nice 1/2 day.

Nice little bays to have a swim and chill in lade Padarn behind the DMM factory.

Agree avoid Crib Goch and Tryfan if not confident and experienced in the mountains. Tryfan is a major mountain rescue hot spot. Watkin path is a good shout though, and can be combined with the South ridge for a nice loop. Waterfall pools are good for a cool down if it’s a hot day.

zzjabzz
    Free Member

Spend a day on Ynys Gifftan away from all the idiots on holiday, you’ll need a tide table as you’ll have to go and come back at low tide. Also, try Cnicht or/and the Moelwyns (from Croesor), less idiots on holiday here, or maybe Moel Hebog (from Beddgelert). Stacks of walks to do. If the weather’s good, you’ll fill the time no problem…

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Just back from a trip with my daughters and their scout troop.
    They went in the RIB ride from Menai bridge, did the underground zip wire and climbing at Llechweld , white water rafting , and hiked up Snowdon via Watkins trail.
    They enjoyed every moment.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

If the weathers good, there’s some lovely beaches towards the end of the llyn peninsular. There’s a couple (can’t remember names without digging out maps) that have old fisherman’s pubs down near the beach which you can only get to by walking / boat

martello
    Free Member

Agree about the Llyn peninsular, favourite beach was Traeth Penllech, mostly because there are no facilities as such a corresponding lack of people.

mahalo

slight hijack.. but i was driving over the menai bridge (east bound) yesterday and looking up you are faced with a plethora of big lumpy bastards!! i have ridden snowdon a handful of times, and all the trail centres in the area, but is there any more riding to be had at altitude round snowdonia, say north of the Llanberis pass!?

ive been looking at trailforks and strava heatmaps but neither are coming up with much….

i have heard about the Drum mountain rides but i fancy pushing 4 figures, owt round Carnedd Llewelyn?

ta

mahalo

if your staying in porthmadog, black rock sands is a great beach and theres a nice walk around Pen-y-banc nature reserve. Moel-y-gest is a good easy walk too, great views and an iron age hill fort to look at.

Portmeirion is nice too but not free.

Harlech castle is nice but there not much else there. dont go to Barmouth tho, makes blackpool look like puerto banus!!

Machynlleth (still in Snowdinia!?) is spot on.

zilog6128

Would be interested in recommendations for quiet campsites, nice pubs, scenic spots etc on the Llyn Peninsular as we will be bikepacking in that area in a few weeks!

mahalo

Aberafon campsite in Nefyn ftw.

zilog6128

Aberafon campsite in Nefyn ftw.

Got a link? There seems to be a holiday home site near Nefyn but they don’t appear to have a website & can find no mention of camping, etc? Unless you meant this one http://www.aberafon.co.uk near Gyrn Goch a few miles north?

mahalo

thats the badger.

nice weather, nowhere better
    bad weather, nowhere worse!

scuttler

If the weather’s shit head out to the activities, beaches, cliffs and walks of Anglesey or Lleyn for the day as they get their own weather.

Surf Snowdonia is a half day once you’ve been suited up, had the prelims, done the surfing, got changed and then spent an hour having a brew and watching everyone else. Even if you don’t do it, go along and have a watch.

scuttler

Aberafon campsite near Trefor (north Lleyn) is mega.

muddyground
    Free Member

Why the love for Pete’s Eats? The food is dull, service rubbish and you sit there for hours waiting – which is why they give you a pint of tea, something to do as you wonder when your bland food is eventually coming (I actually managed to leave the cafe, go for a walk around the town and buy something, and when I got back the food had still not arrived). Indian down the road is more fun.

Anyway, beaches / cliff / hill walks on Llyn, avoiding Abersoch (bakers at Aberdaron for breakfast – just do not go into the Spar as it is horrid). The Welsh language visitor centre is great – park at the top for a circular walk. Anywhere near or on Snowdon / Idris. Hire a bike and cycle out from Barmouth. Llandudno and the two Orme’s. List is endless. And keep your eyes open, as craft beer or coffee seems to pop up now and then as you drive through places.

zilog6128

Ta, Aberafon campsite booked!! 🚲⛺️🍺

muddyground
    Free Member

Good call – great beaches there (esp near airport – where the chip shop is). Ancient hill forts nearby with great views. Lovely place!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Days out in snowdonia/north Wales.’ is closed to new replies.