Home Forums Chat Forum Daylight Saving! – The Movie Trailer

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Daylight Saving! – The Movie Trailer
  • blackhat
    Free Member

I like to think I have my fair share of common sense but can’t answer the following – why do we put the clocks forward around the Spring equinox but wait for a month after the Autumn equinox before we put them back?.  Whatever the rights and wrongs of this mind scrambling adjustment, we’re making the change at different points of the annual cycle of daylight.  Aren’t we?

ernielynch

Well if it wasn’t already confusing enough the trailer says Sunday November 1.

November 1 isn’t a Sunday.

Rubber_Buccaneer

November 1 isn’t a Sunday.

Yes it was in 2015 and someday it will be again 🙂

scotroutes

why do we put the clocks forward around the Spring equinox but wait for a month after the Autumn equinox before we put them back?

Something to do with farmers, harvest and maximising daylight hours? Just a guess, but sounds reasonable (to me at least).

fasthaggis

Something to do with farmers, harvest and maximising daylight hours?

and it’s the end of BST* ,which means it’s ok to look(for the dark months) like you sleep in a ditch**

* British Shaving Time

** or under canvas

>beard emoji <

aphex_2k
    Free Member

We don’t have daylight saving in WA (but the rest of Aus does)

It’s been to referendum a couple of times. Thrown out due to people’s fear that we’ll be exposing children to an hour extra sunlight, we’ll confuse the cows, and people’s curtains will fade.

It’s dark at 1930 in summer. It’s weeeeeeird. And still **** hot. Like, no air unbreathable hot. Still, we’ve saved the kids from an extra hour of exposure to the sun. *LOL*

zomg

If we really must have daylight savings time for farm animals the very least we could do is shift business hours an hour the other way so human routines don’t have to change.

stumpyjon

There was me thinking farmers had lights on their tractors these days.

Just leave it on BST.

nickc

but wait for a month after the Autumn equinox before we put them back?.

So that there are just 5 months of longer darker evenings and mornings rather than 6. Which would otherwise depress the shit out of everyone, and because loads of people can’t drive in the dark, especially when it rains (more accidents despite the fact that there are fewer vehicles on the road)

johndoh
    Free Member

It’s dark at 1930 in summer. It’s weeeeeeird.

It really is – we went to see family who live on the Gold Coast and even in the height of their summer, it is dark before 8pm and you can’t go outside because of the man-eating wildlife.

Coyote
    Free Member

Just get rid of daylight savings completely.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Something to do with farmers, harvest and maximising daylight hours? Just a guess, but sounds reasonable (to me at least).

Does it though?

The number of daylight hours is exactly the same.

And farmers like to tell everyone they’ve been  up since before dawn whatever time of year it is, why does it matter, to someone who historically is self employed and their own boss, whether the alarm clock says 5am or 6am or 7am when they wake up?  Is it so that their employees can’t claim it’s unsociable hours and demand more money?

Even the argument for moving to GMT+1 all year round only seems rooted in a bit of collective laziness, we could all individually enjoy the same benefits just by getting up at 6am rather than 7am and going to bed earlier. But ….. we don’t.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.