Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Day rides near Elgin, north Cairngorms etc
  • punter
    Free Member

Hi all,

We visit family in the Moray/Elgin/Pluscarden area most summers, and generally try and do a bit of riding. I previously asked here about kids’ riding options near Elgin and got some really helpful suggestions, so I’m trying again, this time with adults in mind.

We’re planning a week of “grown up” riding, based out of Pluscarden, and would massively appreciate any help with itinerary. In particular we’re after suggestions for more adventurous rides within an hour’s drive, so north Cairngorms area I guess. The group are what you’d call standard weekend warriors. Not too hard not too soft.

On the list so far, in order of increasing drive time, are:

1. Pluscarden/McNaughty woods.
    2. Dallas.
    3. Quarry wood.
    4. Roseisle forest.
    4. Monster Moray.
    5. Glenlivet.
    6. Aviemore. I’ve ridden Burnside a couple of times, but don’t know where to focus beyond that. I’ve seen posts on Bagaduish, Insh. Is Ben Macdui a reasonable/sensible objective from Aviemore for a bunch of punters?
    7. Northern part of the Cairngorms loop?
    8. Further afield; likely a day at Fort Bill, possibly a day trip to Torridon.

We’d potentially be keen for a couple of days of (paid) guiding in the Aviemore/Tomintoul/Glenlivet area, so if anyone had suggestions on that it would be appreciated as well.

Many thanks for any help.

crazy-legs

You want the local expert @kcal
    Hopefully tagging him will act as a “paging…”

grantyboy
    Free Member

Moray Monster Trails at Fochabers is worth a shout, takes about an hour to lap the red and another hour if you cut over the duller and do the blues as well.
    You could also day trip up to the Black Isle, good few choices there

aberdeenlune
    Free Member

There’s a good route between Tomintoul and Braemar. I have that planned as an out and back with a lunch stop at Braemar. There’s also a good route between Tomintoul and Glenmore. I think it involves one river crossing. I have the Garmin routes if your interested let me know. I haven’t ridden them yet though.

scotroutes

Macdui is a do-able objective but only attempt it if the weather is playing ball.

Badaguish can be linked with other bits around Glenmore, Loch Morlich and the bottom of the Lairig Ghru.

Chalamain Gap and Lairig Ghru is another good call @thegeneralist – photos please ?

Glenmore to Tomintoul is part of the Cairngorms Loop route, as is Tomintoul to Braemar. Not sure I fancy the latter as an out-and-back though.

Inner Cairngorms Loop is 80km but will involve a little pushing. Great route though. That’s Aviemore, Glenmore, Bynack Mòr, Fords of Avon, Linn of Dee, Geldie, Feshie and Inshriach.

Sgorr Gaoithe/Càrn Bàn Mòr is another to consider.

I can give you gpx tracks of all of these. I live in Aviemore, so hit me up nearer the time if you want more detail, track conditions etc.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Sgorr Gaoithe/Càrn Bàn Mòr is another to consider.

Ooh how topical. I did that the day Lady Di died.
    Go, on, do it today…..

Chalamain Gap and Lairig Ghru is another good call @thegeneralist – photos please ?

Was doing some research on MTB L3 Assessment routes the other day and apparently The Lodge use it as one of their big days 🤣

Chalamain gap family cycle. Good or bad?

I’d miss Glenlivet if I were you. I thought it sucked balls. Seriously think that we perhaps rode it in the wrong direction….

Torridon classic route…. Yes indeed. Just make sure you do the one that takes in Lower Coire Lair instead of the other LRT descent. (;It’s on MTB trails or something as the alternative Torridon Loop)

When you up?
    I’m in Laggan week from 1 August and Braemar from 7 August. Would love to meet some other people for a ride.
    Might attempt the CG 4000ers, or if common sense prevails Ben MacDui and Coire Etchachan from the south. Did CG and Ben MacDui from the north last time (day after Torridon Loop) and it was brilliant.

A drive, a Hillwalk, Two Cycle Rides and then drive home

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Northern part of the Cairngorms loop?

I could be wrong, but I don’t think the inner CG loop has a northern and southern [ non linear] option.
    It is already the shortest loop it could be without going onto the plateau. (‘zat correct Colin?)

Did it last summer. Was long, remote and visited some infamous and famous (mountaineering) names…. But was more about the location, distance, history and challenge that tech biking.
    it depends what you want from your rides. Very, very classic XC.

If you prefer more up and down the defo do MacDui.

scotroutes

Cairngorms Loop..

I guess there are 5 versions.

(a) The Northern Loop.

(b) The Southern Loop

(c) The Inner Loop

(d) The Outer Loop

(e) The full Cairngorms 300 Double Loop

All should be clear from here

https://www.cairngormsloop.net/

kcal

thanks @crazy-legs – it worked!

Phil at the Lazy Duck in Nethybridge is a qualified leader these days, so maybe worth sounding him out for guiding.

I probably come under the category of medium ability rider, but when it gets steep I get off and push. I suspect I responded from your previous post(s). I’ll take your thoughts –

1. Pluscarden/Monaughty woods. – plenty there, could manage a good few hours, there are a good network of trails now. Some fire road, and the south slope stuff is too steep for me, but plenty around to give you a warm up.
    2. Dallas. – too much for me!! Others may be able to assist there.
    3. Quarry wood. — plenty of trails -either a few more hours or even linked with Monaughty for a day’s worth.
    4. Roseisle forest. — there are a ton – actually, more than that, I still find new stuff. It’s not technical in up/down terms, but huge fun.
    4. Monster Moray. — haven’t been there for a while, the Gully Monster is off limits now, but rest are there. It’s OK.
    5. Glenlivet. – good workout – less tree cover than there used to be..
    6. Aviemore. I’ve ridden Burnside a couple of times, but don’t know where to focus beyond that. I’ve seen posts on Bagaduish, Insh. Is Ben Macdui a reasonable/sensible objective from Aviemore for a bunch of punters? — Burnside not something I’ve done. As scotroutes says there is a pile of stuff around Aviemore.
    7. Northern part of the Cairngorms loop? – – in and around Glen Avon is a good loop, but it’s not technical.
    8. Further afield; likely a day at Fort Bill, possibly a day trip to Torridon. – either worth a day trip.

There are a lot of good XC options too, I don’t know levels of keen-ness for that. If you head south you can hit Aberlour and loop back or round Rothes direction, if you head west you get the options for the Dava Way, into and around the back country around Dallas village.

Mat

In the ‘further afield’ bin – a jaunt down to Ballater &/or Aboyne in Deeside. Some really great built trails and close to both villages so would be scope to do a few runs, get lunch/coffee/cake then do a few more runs after. Chris Roper (Ride in Peace Adventures) does local guiding.

MartynS

@kcal
    Where’s quarry wood??
    The outlaws are in upper rafford so I know the area very vaguely.
    We had a potter around pluscarden and found some very steep stuff.
    Also found stuff in sluie woods, short but fun

My problem has been that although the good lady grew up in the area she didn’t ride and we’ve struggled to find a good set of rides for when we’re up.
    Done moray monster but I think there was a thread recently that suggested it had been a bit wrecked through felling.. might have mis-read that though!!!

kcal

@MartynS – aye, I recall you’d been around Rafford. Altyre and Newtyle has some good little sections, not sure I’d find them again. There are some good bits at Sluie too, as well as the river run that side and Conicavle side too.

quarry wood aka quarrelwood these days I’d call the Oakwoods – it’s on NW sector out from Elgin, a lot of good stuff of all types. Bounded by the A96 / model on the south, the Spynie church road to the west and north, and Brumley Brae or Spynie hospital at the east.

punter
    Free Member

Thanks a lot for the replies all. Indeed @kcal, you helped me out with the kids’ itinerary last year :).

Lots to think about and digest here. I need to spend an afternoon reading through with trailforks/google maps open, to start off with.

One slightly delicate question: Is there an obvious ride along the Findhorn river? We were on the Logie estate last year and saw some bikers. They were riding the right bank, and the trails were super nice. Is there an obvious start/end point for a discreet and conscientious sort of fellow to aim for?

kcal

@punter re Findhorn – yes, there is – the full bhuna ride starts in Forres, heads out past Loch of Blairs and towards Sluie, then down the east side proper – the fun (and intermittent pushing unless you’re very brave / a riding god) begins. Headed past Logie Steading, then Randolph’s Leap and on to the bridge. Over bridge, head back up the east side keeping between the river and Conicavel. Plenty of options on that side, some spectacular riding. Quite a navigation challenge in parts. Then head back in towards Forres.

punter
    Free Member

Thanks @kcal. Is that the sensible direction to ride do you think? I liked the look of heading from Randalph’s leap towards Forres on the right bank (river on your left), but was on foot, and haven’t checked out the other bank at all…

kcal

hi @punter, to be honest I’ve never gone in the opposite direction i.e. north from Logie. Not sure how it would ride – not aware of it being done that way, might just be “it’s always been done that way”. There are steep ups and downs which probably don’t make any odds either way.

The other bank dots in and out a lot more, less views of the river, but those that you get are spectacular. Some intricate navigation needed – maybe more on the west bank in some ways.

beamers

The trails at Abriachan are worth a look as is Learnie Red Rock on the Black Isle.

fazzini

@nobbingsford – worth taking note of these suggestions for our Grantown trip later in the year? 😉 might need to take extra bikes however haha

swavis

A bit further south of Elgin there’s some half decent trails and tracks around here in Aberlour, probably more gravel rides nowadays tbh.
    Although Ben Rinnes is always worth a shove up and blast down on a nice sunny evening, the two Convals are good fun too and can be made into a loop with a decent amount of ascent if you add in Ben Rinnes 😉

anono

You’re thinking of riding near Elgin!!????

Have you lost your marbles???

IGMC.

punter
    Free Member

@kcal
    , “If you head south you can hit Aberlour and loop back or round Rothes direction, if you head west you get the options for the Dava Way, into and around the back country around Dallas village”

This is interesting. Is there an obvious route that gets you onto the high country between Dallas and the Spey?

swavis

The Mannoch Road takes you up there but there’s a good 200m of eternally wet bog, it’s not too bad though. A better option is to head up and over between the Macallan and Rothes, just to the east of Hunt Hill.

nobbingsford

fazzini

@nobbingsford
    – worth taking note of these suggestions for our Grantown trip later in the year? 😉 might need to take extra bikes however haha

Posted 1 hour ago

@fazzini
    Yup 👍🏻

punter
    Free Member

@scotroutes

Cairngorms Loop..

I guess there are 5 versions.

(a) The Northern Loop.

A possible excursion for us would be the northern loop. Wondering whether it would be better on the Braemar to Freshiebridge leg to go via Glenmore (reverse of directions on website), or follow the river Freshie as per the website?

punter
    Free Member

Thanks for the tip @swavis, we’ll definitely try and explore the area between Dallas and Rothes.

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

@kcal would you happen to have a gpx file of this route? My Mum still lives in Forres and I could do this route from her front door…

kcal

@DirtyLyle – I’d have to look one out. Might take a couple of days.

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

@kcal no rush, won’t be up there for a few months anyway. Cheers!

scotroutes

@punter – are you thinking of the route past Fords of Avon? It’s certainly more wild/spectacular but has a significant amount of pushing between the top of Glen Derry and the shoulder of Bynack Mor. Most folk do it in the opposite direction which is a bit easier (though still not all rideable).

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Day rides near Elgin, north Cairngorms etc’ is closed to new replies.