Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Day out with the family in York – Jorvik or The Dungeon?
  • Harry_the_Spider

I can do either on Tesco, so the price isn’t an issue. My daughter is 9 and a bit squeamish, so I’m concerned that the Dungeon will be a bit much.

I did Jorvik about 25 years ago and thought it was OK, if a little brief.

Not really interested in “neither, they are both shit”. It is a day out with something to do for the kids.

We did The Castle Museum and the NRM last year, so don’t need to see them again just yet.

Smudger666

If it’s anything like the dungeon in Edinburgh, I’d avoid it with a 9 yr old. It was almost a bit much for me!

Jorvik was really interesting for my two at that age.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

We did the Jorvic last year when my daughter was doing a school project on the Vikings. Its fine to kill a couple of hours but not significantly changed over the years. Ends with a bit of a display of viking finds which is a bit boring for young kids.

mechanicaldope

Pretty sure that at Jorvik they have a really old poo.

johndoh
    Free Member

If the daughter is squeamish then Jorvik it is. My daughter is similar – same age and squeamish – I wouldn’t take her to the dungeon.

Other alternatives would be a walk along the city walls or a boat cruise? Or (a bit further out) a trip to the Rowntree Chocolate Museum?

riklegge

I used to really like the Dungeon when I was about 11/12 but would agree that for a squeamish 9 year old it is probably a bit much (eg a recreation of someone’s chest being opened and lungs pulled out…). Jorvik should be fun.

woody2000

York air musuem is well worth a visit H_T_S. Done Jorvik recently and thought it hadn’t changed much since I was last there a long time ago. Been to Beningbrough hall recently which my lot enjoyed, just north of york.

globalti
    Free Member

The Chocolate Story is fantastic, really well done and you finish making your own chocolates. Really good for kids

Home

scud
    Free Member

What about the train museum? Neither i, my wife or daughter (8) are “into” trains, but it is great and loads to see, Jorvik was good, but we were in there no longer than 80 minutes i’d guess.

5plusn8
    Free Member

Jorvik Centre, just so that you can see the Lloyds Bank Turd.

POOOOP

martinhutch

Proper jobby, that, as Guy would say.

But my lot came away very disappointed with Jorvik, and it costs a blimmin fortune. That chocolate thing looks ace though.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I think jorvik had a fair chunk of an update in the last 12 months so maybe take a look on trip advisor/Google etc for some up to date info. Could have made it the best thing since sliced bread or completely ruined it for all i know.

York dungeon is like every other “dungeon” museum, not for squeamish kids and unless they really like that sort of thing not worth the visit if they’ve been to another one. If they’re not squeamish and haven’t seen it all before though it might be just what you’re after.

Additional/alternative s:
    I always enjoyed what’s now the Yorkshire museum, chocolate experience is also a good call. I’ve also heard good things about dig.

Much (not walking any how) further out is the air museum at elvington if that’s their thing.

The cold war bunker is well worth a visit but i can’t imagine being a bit with kids.

butcher

Dungeon is, like others say, quite in your face with some jumpy, scary moments. Kids will love it if they’re OK with that stuff. Younger kids and the faint of heart, possibly not so much.

I’ve not done Jorvik personally.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Travel an extra 30 mins North and visit Eden Camp.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Soz Eden Camp Closed.

el_boufador

Jorvik boring. Dungeon not boring

sarawak
    Free Member

Yorvik is educational.
    Dungeon is cheap thrills.

Train Museum, Air Museum and Chocolate story are also educational. Then there’s the York Museum at the Castle which is probably the best of the lot.

igm

Spark for lunch with kids. They had the canvas up last week.

Harry_the_Spider

Thanks for the input.

Done the trains, there is no way that I could swing the air museum and taking a Type 1 Diabetic to a chocolate museum wouldn’t go down well… so it looks like Jorvik and lunch at Prezzo (also on Tesco clubcard).

StirlingCrispin

I took H (then aged 9) to York last Easter.

We did Jorvik in under an hour.

H loved the Dungeon.

I’d do the Castle Museum again – the exhibits change.

What about York Minster?

River trip?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

We also did a kind of treasure hunt around the city when we went. I can’t remember where we got the clues – I think it was Treasuretrails.co.uk or something like that, but it got you around the city, we all learned something of the history of the city and area and the kids seemed to enjoy it.

tinribz
    Free Member

Museum Gardens is OK bit more educational and easily missed off peoples list. There is also a BFG exhibition at the art gallery. Although I don’t even remember seeing it and was only in there a couple of weeks ago.

Both worth a trip but I have local pass not sure I’d fork out a lot. And don’t forget to call into cycle heaven near the millennium bridge for lunch.

mattyfez

I went to the dungeon about 4 years ago as part of a date, I really enjoyed it.
    It’s not too freaky.. More entertaining I’d say with the actors who do a really good job and seem quite sensitive to those who might get scared.

Viking center is more educational I’d say but not as fun.

Both would compliment each other really, but it’s the dungeon for me if it was one or the other.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Day out with the family in York – Jorvik or The Dungeon?’ is closed to new replies.