Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 142 total)
  • David Cameron – smart or big scaredy pants?
  • igm

He’s not willing to debate Scottish independence with wee Alex.

My money says he’s both.

I trust he now says nothing more on the subject.

Jamie
    Free Member

Why would he debate, though? He has stated his position, and has nothing to gain from letting Mr Salmon waft his kilt in his general direction.

5thElefant
    Free Member

It’s a tough one. Go down in history as the PM who allowed the break up of the union AND see the total removal of Labour as the opposition party and permanent unbeatable Conservative majorities.

Hmmm….

scaredypants

don’t you sully my “good” name by association with that shitehouse ! 👿

binners

I think its sunk in with him that every time he opens his gob on the subject, the percentage of Scots in favour of independence goes up a couple of percent

Best to just say nowt

the-muffin-man

Salmond is like the looney in the pub, sat in the corner nursing half-a-mild – all the locals know him and nod politely, but no one actually wants to start a conversation!

igm

Apologies scaredypants. I accept full responsibility for that post.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Salmond is about the best orator of his generation within politics, an incredibly astute politician. He would show Cameron up to be the second rate shouty imbecile that he is. Cameron is scared.

camo16
    Free Member

Salmond is about the best orator of his generation within politics, an incredibly astute politician.

I don’t know why, but this sentence just makes me feel depressed. 🙁

glupton1976
    Free Member

I don’t know why, but this sentence just makes me feel depressed.

Yip. Salmond is good, but in another era he wouldn’t be the best of his generation. Only person that comes close in the oratory stakes is George Galloway. The mainstream leaders are all hopeless drones by comparison.

camo16
    Free Member

Salmond is one my archetype examples of ‘cynical career politico with his chops in the trough’… maybe that’s what’s depressing… that he is maybe our best orator.

bencooper
    Free Member

He’s both – he knows that Salmond would wipe the floor with him, and he’s not daft enough to get into a debate he’d lose.

From a recent poll:

Alex Salmond: Very satisfied: 25%, Slightly satisfied: 23% (total 48%). Neither satisfied nor dissatisfied: 16%. Slightly dissatisfied: 14%, Very dissatisfied: 23% (total 37%). Overall rating +11.

David Cameron: Very satisfied: 5%, Slightly satisfied: 16% (total 21%). Neither satisfied nor dissatisfied: 13%. Slightly dissatisfied: 18%, Very dissatisfied: 48% (total 66%). Overall rating -45.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Salmond is one my archetype examples of ‘cynical career politico with his chops in the trough’… maybe that’s what’s depressing… if he is our best orator…

We talking about the same bloke here? Salmond had a career before politics – he was an economist for many years. Glad to see that he got a desmond in his degree though. 😀

camo16
    Free Member

Maybe my presumption then. 😳

ninfan
    Free Member

Salmond desperately wants to turn it into an ‘SNP vs Tory’, ‘England Vs Scotland’, ‘colonised by ****’ ‘ruled by effete arseholes’ issue

Whereas in reality the No campaign is just as Scottish as he is.

glupton1976
    Free Member

It’s not about who is more scottish than the other. If you were born inside on the Scottish side of the border you are Scottish. It is about what is best for Scotland as a nation, not what is best for any political party.

ninfan
    Free Member

Yes, and thats why its largely an internal debate for Scottish people – so why would Salmond want to draw Cameron into it?

glupton1976
    Free Member

Erm – because at present Scotland is part of the United Kingdom and David Cameron is the Prime Minister of the UK. As PM of the UK David Cameron at present has a large influence on the future of Scotland. Seems fair and relevant to ask him to take part in a debate on the future of part of the land that he is PM for.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

It is about what is best for Scotland as a nation, not what is best for any political party.

Amen – get massively annoyed with people who announce that their sole rationale against independence is they don’t like Salmond, but who don’t get that they can vote YES, then vote for whichever party they want afterwards!

binners

so why would Salmond want to draw Cameron into it?

David Cameron is his secret weapon. His every utterance reeks of arrogant, born-to-rule privilege.

This doesn’t just infuriate people in Scotland. Have you seen how many votes he gets in the North West, North East, Midlands or Wales. If you wanted an independent North, then you’d want exactly the same – Dave spouting off as often as possible. He does your job for you

5thElefant
    Free Member

Wales

Lots of Wales is conservative. It’s only the valleys that vote Labour.

binners

Have you seen how much of Scotland votes conservative? David Cameron loftily pontificating on the issue, in his clipped Eton tones, is all Alex’s birthdays and Christmases come at once. Salmond will be gutted he’s decided had the press office force him to stay out of it

Northwind

ninfan – Member

Salmond desperately wants to turn it into an ‘SNP vs Tory’

Hardly- Cameron doesn’t represent the tories, he represents the UK government, who couldn’t be any more involved in the No campaign.

Cameron’s absolutely right to dodge it, mind, there’s no prospect it’d end well for him- his admission of weakness is the least bad option. It’s just a shame he and his will continue to batter away at the Yes campaign but will never dare to face them.

bencooper
    Free Member

If you were born inside on the Scottish side of the border you are Scottish

Well, yes. Though my English-born father, American-born mother, English-born girlfriend and English-born father-in-law(ish) who all live in Scotland will all be able to vote in the referendum.

And are all for independence.

igm

This doesn’t just infuriate people in Scotland. Have you seen how many votes he gets in the North West, North East, Midlands or Wales. If you wanted an independent North, then you’d want exactly the same – Dave spouting off as often as possible. He does your job for you

How about a British federal state incorporating (roughly) Scotland, Wales, Northumbria, Cumbria, Lancashire and Yorkshire. Common Celtic British heritage, and an interest in making things rather than buying and selling derivatives.

The rump England could then happily not be part of the EU, while Britain continues with it’s existing membership.

bencooper
    Free Member

Yet again, my suggestion of the People’s Empire of the North, Ireland and Scotland makes sense 😉

camo16
    Free Member

How about a British federal state incorporating (roughly) Scotland, Wales, Northumbria, Cumbria, Lancashire and Yorkshire. Common Celtic British heritage, and an interest in making things rather than buying and selling derivatives.

I fear Wales would go the way of the Dark Side…

glupton1976
    Free Member

Yet again, my suggestion of the People’s Empire of the North, Ireland and Scotland makes sense

How about we just split it half way between Nottingham and Sheffield and call everything south of the line Britain and everything north of it Great? The location of this line may have a 50 mile error margin in it. 😀

piemonster

Can we correct it to

” People’s Pie and Chips Empire of the North”

5thElefant
    Free Member

How about we just split it half way between Nottingham and Sheffield and call everything south of the line Britain and everything north of it Great?

I can see a big argument about who gets Birmingham.

binners

The People’s Pie and Chips Empire of the North sounds like a cause I’d be prepared to lay down your own life for.

When do we start?

glupton1976
    Free Member

I can see a big argument about who gets Birmingham.

Simple test. Is Birmingham great? No – therefore it’s Britain.

Junkyard
    Free Member

in reality the No campaign is just as Scottish as he is.

your right so can farage not step into his shoes for the debate ?

I love the anti EU unions folk ranting about how great a Union is.

Translation – I like unions wher ei make the rules and dominate.

CMD is both wise politically [ in this case] and off course a great big coward at the same time. That said if was him [ apart from crying myself to death] I would not do it either.

dragon
    Free Member

Have you seen how much of Scotland votes conservative?

Based on the last general election Conservative 412,855, compared to SNP 491,386, Lib Dem 465,471, and Labour way out in front with 1,035,528.

martinhutch

What could the “No” Campaign gain by putting up a politician known to be disliked by the majority of the constituency?

Salmond will get to call him a coward, but that’s a far less damaging option.

Northwind

martinhutch – Member

What could the “No” Campaign gain by putting up a politician known to be disliked by the majority of the constituency?

Since integrity and fairness counts for nothing in politics these days, nothing at all- all they’re sacrificing is their own souls.

piemonster

all they’re sacrificing is their own souls.

Bit late for that to be a concern

igm

Salmond won’t call him a coward.

Salmond will tell anyone who’ll listen (and quite a few who won’t) that Cameron is an arrogant, London centric, rich boy who doesn’t have the respect for the Scottish people to get his lazy backside on the train from Kings Cross and come and talk to them. He’ll portray it as just not caring about Scotland or the Scots.

And people will believe him because that’s what everyone suspects anyway. No votes north of Derby = no interest north of Derby.

Marin
    Free Member

Salmond is a twit.
    Cameron is a ****t.

Our choice of who to vote for in general is very depressing.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 142 total)

The topic ‘David Cameron – smart or big scaredy pants?’ is closed to new replies.