Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 160 total)
  • David Bowie
  • GrahamS

Love this short anecdote from Gervais:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYeIqneQKA0[/video]

Bregante

Reportedly this promotional photo was taken three days ago.

Looking pretty sharp 8)

GrahamS

No socks. Beatles reference?

lapdog
    Free Member

I see someone said we won’t mourn Jagger or McCartney the same way. Not sure about that – they are both very influential in their own ways. Made me wonder who is still living that has had a bigger influence on popular music than Bowie, McCartney or Jagger/Richards. It would have to be Dylan I reckon – can’t think of anyone else?

Edukator
    Free Member

Check out the most played albums threads, the favourite tune threads, any musicians/guitarists threads. There are lots of influential artists, it maybe worth a thread at risk of dupicating the favourite albums thread. Everyone has their own references depending on what appeals to their ears, what they consider cool, how much they submit to peer pressure, where they live. All four members of ABBA are still alive as are the members of Slade, Oasis, Madonna, the Spice Girls. Bowie only had five number one singles, he was niche with limited influence, a small but loyal and rather blinkered fan base on the basis on those I knew who admired him.

lapdog
    Free Member

Big difference between artists listed on favourite tunes or most played albums threads to those who have had a true deep influence on music though. Bowie may not have had a large amount of number ones but you could easily say he influenced the direction of music and many peoples tastes (even indirectly) far more than a Slade, Oasis or Madonna. He was a musical and cultural trail blazer which does not always equal huge commercial success.

That’s why I reckon Dylan is the most important and influential musician still living today whatever you may personally think of him.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Won’t miss Mick Jagger. Sir Keef of Richards, however…

allthepies
    Free Member

Beautiful tribute from Rick Wakeman

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jogv7tD18gs[/video]

mefty
    Free Member

It is easy to forget how good Rick Wakeman is.

Edukator
    Free Member

I listen to all sorts of music. I can hear all sorts of influences:

Blues, hip hop, soul, rap, rock, rock and roll, scar, dance, disco, country, folk, electronic, house, Indy… . Bowie borrowed from them rather than creating them. Take any of the list and they come from pre-existing influences. Every generation takes what they’ve heard and adds their own sauce. Bowie’s personas were a reflection of the times he lived through and in the continuity. He did glam rock when glam rock was where it was at, but didn’t invent it, he added his trans-sexual sauce at a time when repression of sexuality was at a century low but musically what he did was old hat. If he was influential it was more in fashion and sexual expression than music. That was, IMO, a positive influence, though he’s getting a hard time on the other thread for not following Victorian moral and values.

BoardinBob

Been thinking a lot about Bowie over the past couple of days. I go through phases of listening to a particular genre of music. No matter what “phase” I was in, Bowie was a constant. His music transcended genres. He’s almost impossible to pigeonhole and to call him simply a musician is a great dis-service. He truly was an artist.

There was a mention of McCartney and Jagger above and a mention elsewhere that Bowie should have packed it in twenty years ago. I honestly believe he’s one of the few artists that didn’t piss on his legacy, When so many of his peers descended into bad karaoke pastiches of their back catalogue, he thankfully avoided that.

While his genre bending and reinventions no doubt paved the way for others further down the line, the newer generation always felt more like a record company’s cynical ploy to sell more records, whereas looking back at Bowie, it always felt like he was the master of his own destiny (management squabbles aside)

Sadly missed but what a wonderful legacy to leave behind.

BoardinBob

Bowie only had five number one singles, he was niche with limited influence

Hendrix had one (posthumous) number one single
    The Who had none
    Led Zeppelin had none
    etc etc

I’m guessing they were niche with limited interest?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Bowie only had five number one singles, he was niche with limited influence

With all due respect you’ve totally missed the point of being infliential if you are measuring it in number 1’s / popukar music single sales.

@Bregante, what a stunning photo, so muck class. I can’ypt imagine too many of us looking that good with a big smiles on our faces knowing we are close to death

Edukator
    Free Member

“Limited influence” (musically)

I was challenging the assertion that there weren’t any more influential musicians than Bowie left alive. I’m pleased you’ve quoted three, Bob:

The Who had none
    Led Zeppelin had none

who were as/more influential without even selling as many singles as Bowie.

I was replying to:

I reckon Dylan is the most important and influential musician still living today

see a few posts up for context.

BoardinBob

Edukator – Troll
    “Limited influence” (musically)

I was challenging the assertion that there weren’t any more influential musicians than Bowie left alive. I’m pleased you’ve quoted three, Bob:

The Who had none
    Led Zeppelin had none
    who were as/more influential without even selling as many singles as Bowie.

It’s safe to say the absolutely massive outpouring of admiration for him totally proves you wrong. 8)

Edukator
    Free Member

Right, wrong? Just observations.

zokes
    Free Member

Edukator – Troll

bluehelmet
    Free Member

This was David Jones playing with the Konrads in West Wickham Hall, Kent even then he was the star of the band, this taken before the long hair, he was always knowledgeable about the music coming out of the States and would talk about it to anyone who’d listen.
    All musicians are influenced by other musicians, at this time all the influences were from the USA, I think we can be proud there are now musicians in the States that looked to our guys for influence and Bowie was up there after he broke through, albeit after the Beatles and the Stones et al.

The other point worth noting that I hadn’t realised, his refusal of both the CBE and a knighthood stands him more true to the way things were back then, than the sell out Sir Pauls and Sir Micks..

the-muffin-man

Surely influence is all generational?

When I was at comp school at the start of the 80s the Beetles and Stones were considered old farts music.

You could argue that for people of my age (late 40s!) the likes Iron Maiden, AC/DC etc have inspired more kids to pick up a guitar; bash some drums and start a band (I tried but I was rubbish and tone deaf!).

And – sorry to mention his name in this thread! – Ed Sheeran is inspiring young kids to pick up a guitar and sing. He may not be breaking new ground, but who really is nowadays?

chewkw
    Free Member

Bowie has lived with his family in the Merica since 1993 … errmmm … 😯

London must be a shite hole then or …?

Why are so many “national treasure” living abroad?

chakaping
    Free Member

Bowie has lived with his family in the Merica since 1993 … errmmm …

Life’s full of unanswered questions pal.

Why do you fill up this forum with your deranged ramblings?

I could speculate but I have better things to do.

chewkw
    Free Member

chakaping – Member

Bowie has lived with his family in the Merica since 1993 … errmmm …

Life’s full of unanswered questions pal.

Why do you fill up this forum with your deranged ramblings?

I could speculate but I have better things to do. [/quote]

I am just asking like …

Is the forum your property?

Facts hurt innit! 😆

slimjim78
    Free Member

Agreed with earlier posts, I think only Dylan will have as significant an impact to me when he passes. Closely followed by Bob Plant, then perhaps Jagger and Keef.

I think the whole world will collectively mourn Dylan on a bigger scale than even Bowie perhaps.

Part of the shock and sadness to Bowies death has to surely be attributed to the suddenness of it, and unlike a heart attack, the knowledge that he knew he was dying and worked to the end.

Will miss you Mr Bowie!

slimjim78
    Free Member

Did anyone enjoy Bowies cameo on the last Arcard Fire album as much as me?

I remember hearing his voice on the track for the first time and a wry smile breaking on my face, it’s an album I particularly love and his presence just added to its cool in spades IMO. Story goes he was passing by the New York recording studio that day and had heard AF were in session. Went in to check it out and was duly invited to contribute, and of course obliged.
    He loved Arcard Fire (have you seen his collaboration on the live version of Wake Up?, it’s awesome). Sums him up nicely for me, finger always on the pulse, contributions always adding to the mix!

It’s easy for some to forget his production credits also. His work with Iggy, and particularly with Lou Reed is some of my all time favourite material.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Trying to think of those that had a bigger influence on music & society over the years.

On Friday night we had the conversation about who you had seen and wanted to see, Bowie was one of those.

In their context they changed the world, think of the first time you heard Space Odity, Going Underground, Stariway, The Wall Think of what it inspired.

My musical time was the 90’s which was made possible by those who came before

cheese@4p

For me he is THE cultural icon of the late 20th Century. Not because everything he did was brilliant but for his willingness to change stylistically and always surprise us whilst never losing his integrity as an Artist. An artist who showed us how wide the canvas could be.

slimjim78
    Free Member

*Arcade Fire

Stupid iPhone

yunki
    Free Member

Cos the weather’s depressing

slimjim78
    Free Member

Can someone imbed the video on this link please?

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/arcade-fire-thank-david-bowie-for-making-the-band-possible-a6808851.html

That song and performance makes every hair on my body stand up.

If Bowies good enough for my favourite band of the century, he’s good enough for me.

DezB
    Free Member

For slimjim78
    [video]https://youtu.be/1-wEBmLht5g[/video]

DezB
    Free Member

Ok, that’s it. Didn’t think I was going to get emotional… now watching the documentary “5 Years” (WATCH IT!)
    Opening chords of Moonage Daydream… 😥

cheers_drive

Thanks for posting that slim, fantastic performance, shame they kept cutting to the moronic crowd though (even if Heather was in it).

I never get all the shared grieving when someone famous dies, but DB’s death has effected me more than I could imagine. The fact that his last 2 albums were a real return to form makes it even harder.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

DB’s death has effected me more than I could imagine

Yep, me too. I was working in Brixton today so I paid a visit to the Bowie tribute there, a pretty emotional experience. I wanted to stay a while just deep in thoughts but had to leave when I realised that I was starting to get choked up. My main thought was how grateful I was to him for his contribution to my youth – he made it better, and that’s something to be grateful for.

Bowie songs have been going through my head as earworms continuously since his death was announced.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

@ernie: I’d be interested to hear your take on the under-age sex rumour spread on here by the likes of Flash, and also the Fascist thing.

The Sable Starr revelation makes me feel a bit conflicted, TBH…

firestarter
    Free Member

Always loved this track with placebo their voices just sound so good together

firestarter
    Free Member
    DezB
    Free Member

I’d be interested to hear your take on the under-age sex rumour spread on here by the likes of Flash, and also the Fascist thing.

Well, I hope he’s giving it all the attention it deserves. (ie. none)

deadkenny
    Free Member

While a bit of a fan, Bowie’s done so many collaborations there are many I don’t know about. This one I’ve only just come across and yet was done years ago…

[video]https://youtu.be/aPhQhqP7UjY[/video]

Cover song and much Massive Attack in it, but feels like Bowie stuff of the period (2001)

One famous collaboration though is Mott the Hoople’s All The Young Dudes… written by Bowie.

Only time I’ve ever seen Bowie live, and get him with Ian Hunter, Mick Ronson and Queen (less Freddie 🙁 ). Highlight of the show in many ways! …

[video]https://youtu.be/yJ6T9uYImnQ[/video]

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Mr Woppit – Member

@ernie: I’d be interested to hear your take on the under-age sex rumour spread on here by the likes of Flash, and also the Fascist thing.

I was unaware of the claims made by Sable Starr. The “Fascist thing” is a fairly reasonable question given my politics and my strong admiration for Bowie’s talents as an artist.

In answer to that it had no effect on me at all as I simply never took Bowie seriously. I viewed his claims to be an admirer of fascism in the exactly the same light as his claims of being homosexual – designed to shock and best not taken seriously, ie, I never believed it.

Besides, my admiration of Bowie was solely based on his talents as a songwriter and performer, and his artistic persona, not his political acumen.

shermer75
    Free Member

Love this, a rare outtake from the Old Grey Whistle Test, 1970:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzyy-aCxMXI[/video]

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 160 total)

The topic ‘David Bowie’ is closed to new replies.