Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 160 total)
  • David Bowie
  • jambalaya
    Free Member

69 🙁

A musical and style genius, genuinely ahead of his time.

RIP

jekkyl

RIP David Bowie. Not a great fan of his music but I can appreciate his talebnt. I always remember his slot on Extras. ‘Chubby little loser with the pug nose’

MoreCashThanDash

As others have said, not my taste musically but a wide ranging talent over a long period of time.

neilthewheel

One of the few who seemed to conquer his demons without compromising his creativity. Kick off your red shoes and dance the blues.

chewkw
    Free Member

I can only remember two of his songs ‘Ziggy Stardust’ and ‘Let’s Dance’ beyond that nothing as I have given up music many years ago.

Anyway, RIP you have achieved all you need in life so it’s time to get Ziggy back to the Stardust and let’s dance to that.

slowoldman

Off to play Heroes and Sound and Vision on loop for the rest of the day.

I’ll add in Boys and Let’s Dance.

My heroes are dying , I feel old.

Me too.

globalti
    Free Member

Sad news and I hope he didn’t suffer too much but he should have given up singing about 20 years ago and retired along with Elton John and Paul McCartney, Townsend and Daltrey and all the other geriatrics whose fans keep kidding them they can still reach the high notes.

I’ve just endured 75 minutes of Radio 4 eulogising about Bowie in the car. It bugs me when somebody like this dies and suddenly everybody was their greatest fan and saw them numerous times at various edgy venues.

chewkw
    Free Member

slowoldman – Member

My heroes are dying , I feel old.

Me too. [/quote]

Do we need heroes?

I don’t think I have any … (edit: … still nothing come to mind …)

globalti – Member
    It bugs me when somebody like this dies and suddenly everybody was their greatest fan and saw them numerous times at various edgy venues.

Not me coz I am no fan of anything let alone celebrities …

IHN

konabunny – not the time or the thread.[/i]

Oh, please.

Incredible guy, incredibly talented, incredibly influential. But I agree that the coverage is already getting pretty ridiculous; the first question asked to Jeremy Corbyn was his memories of David Bowie. To be fair, they did get on to less important things like Trident replacement…

DrJ

not a bad acting cv either

Indeed. Saw him in Elephant Man off Broadway in ?1981? (sorry globalti) and it was an extraordinary performance. No makeup but he conveyed the deformity and vulnerability of the character.

warton
    Free Member

Just listended to his new album yesterday, suberb. always innovating, always pushing. never content to sit back and tour his greatest hits. which makes comments like this:

but he should have given up singing about 20 years ago and retired along with Elton John and Paul McCartney, Townsend and Daltrey and all the other geriatrics whose fans keep kidding them they can still reach the high notes.

quite simply laughable.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

He was great played a massive part of my teenage years…

Post from 2 years ago about David bowie

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/how-has-david-bowie-shaped-your-music-tastes

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Serious Moonlight tour 1984. Milton Keynes Bowl. So good, I went twice.

Best. Concert. In. My. Life. Ever.

senorj

I’m off to put on my red shoes and dance the blues away….

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Serious Moonlight tour 1984. Milton Keynes Bowl. So good, I went twice.

Were you there when someone threw their keys on stage and he stopped the concert, went through the list of keys (here’s the key for the Ferrari, the Monaco flat, etc.)?
    Superb concert, a superb showman and a sad loss. Apologies for being a long term fan, globalti, and I apoligise for going to see him several times.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Very much one of a kind, though not necessarily quite my taste.

Very much taken too soon as well..

RIP David.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Sad news.

Given that according to people with ‘mates in the industry’ and the gutter tabloids he was dying since about 1974 it’s remarkable he made it to 2016 and the age of 69, still not really old these days.

Growing up I was never a big fan of his, he was my Dad’s era really – I grew up with Grunge, Rave and Hip Hop and Bowie was none of those things, that all changed in 2000 at Glastonbury – I’d seen so many acts that year, one thing that always strikes me at festivals though was that newer, younger acts, act very differently to older more established ones – the young ones sneer at the crowd, try to act a bit too about it all and usually can’t wait to get of stage to get stuck into the party around the back. The older ones aren’t like that, and even if they’re not to your taste, the sheer quality of performance and showmanship will usually win your over – David Bowie was the very best, of a very good list of people who did that for me live. The performance was spellbinding – proper magic stuff.

I’ve been a fan ever since.

jekkyl

We’ll never get a Labyrinth 2!

BoardinBob

I grew up with Grunge, Rave and Hip Hop and Bowie was none of those things

Grunge = Nirvana covering Man Who Sold The World

Rave = He influenced so many electronic musicians

Hip Hop = Sampled countless times

MrNice
    Free Member

Grunge = Nirvana covering Man Who Sold The World

that was what really got me into Bowie. Before that I mostly knew the 80s stuff

DezB
    Free Member

Shocked. Recently read a big article in Uncut – no mention of fighting cancer… Was impressed by Black Star.
    My band used to cover Moonage Daydream …
    Just one of the most imaginative, creative, original artists of our time, probably THE most. Damn.
    I think I’ll listen to The Idiot as it won’t be so depressing.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Surprised to hear it after his album was out just a few days ago. I can’t say I liked everything he did, but the quality of his output over his whole career and his ability to reinvent himself and keep doing interesting things without playing catch-up were pretty much unrivalled IMO.

Have to agree that this kind of thing is just tosh though:

they’re reading out Joel Madden and Russell Crowe’s RIP tweets ffs.

What does that add to anything?

MrNice
    Free Member

Have to agree that this kind of thing is just tosh though:

they’re reading out Joel Madden and Russell Crowe’s RIP tweets ffs.

What does that add to anything? [/quote]

I will be listening to Bowie records later but for now I’ve turned the radio off to avoid that sort of crap

robdob
    Free Member

I think he managed the very rare trick of being very successful in the charts AND being very influential on a lot of musicians who would then be successful and/or edgy later on.

I am never remember anyone saying a bad word against him to be honest. People might say they didn’t like his stuff but that’s as far as it went.

Personally liked his 80’s tunes the most.

slowoldman

Do we need heroes?

I don’t think I have any … (edit: … still nothing come to mind …)
    No I don’t REALLY have what you would call heroes. Not since my childhood hero Jim Clark died and I understood even heroes are ordinary people who die. BUT… some people are a bit special and have been hugely significant and that shows in the response to their death.

The other day Pierre Boulez died. He was easily as significant in his musical sphere as Bowie was in his (probably more so). The outpourings were more subdued because he wasn’t part of popular culture but there were eulogies in the relevant places.

DezB
    Free Member

What does that add to anything?

its the way of the world – people need the opinions of celebrities to know what their own opinion is.

Lust of Life on now. Bowie was not only a gene genius but he knew a fellow genius when he saw it.

franki
    Free Member

A huge shock hearing this. What a huge loss, he was an amazing guy.

His earlier work and styles were influential & ground-breaking, but I was also massively impressed with how he moved with the times and embraced new musical directions in a convincing way, making them his own, rather than cashing in on the latest trends.
    A true mover & shaker.

RIP David.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Hugely influential and talented musician who will be missed

Only really liked his early stuff but he did like to keep re inventing himself

soobalias
    Free Member

great and influencial musician.
    RIP

mrsfry
    Free Member

He was a legend (still will be) i feel sorry for the ones left behind. He looked like he truly loved his wife and ex wife.

Poor chap. I never knew about the cancer

jamj1974

Love Bowie, some truly great songs and three of my favourite albums – Hunky Dory, Low & Heroes.

Still, I kind of agree with Konabunny… His death is news because he did a lot of innovative stuff in music and had a huge part in pop culture. Doesn’t need celebrity weets to be read out though…

pk13

Never got his music until I got into my late 20s. A proper music act and will be missed. A huge part of pop and British culture who influenced so many I’m sure.

gordimhor

Although his musical interests and mine converged and diverged over the decades Bowie was always interesting and worth listening to. Its a sad loss.

Digby

I think the social media out-pouring of sadness & grief etc is the modern equivalent of shared loss. The online version of flowers against the gates and lit candles

It feels like an epoch in rock n roll is drawing to a close …

True – we may never met these people, but their impact on our lives, especially during formative teenage years can never be under estimated. They spoke to us in our bedrooms through crappy cassette players, mono turntables and catalogue ‘hi-fi’ systems … and we listened! 🙁

MrWoppit
    Free Member

And these children that you spit on
    As they try to change their worlds
    Are immune to your consultations
    They’re quite aware of what they’re going through

racefaceec90

🙁

Digby

crikey Mr Woppit … that’s just made my eyes prickle again … 😳

As used at the start of the film ‘The Breakfast Club’ if I remember correctly?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Do we need heroes?

Yes we do, people to admire and respect. People to look up to, people who have the talent and power to change the world around them. Sometimes it’s not the people who change the big things but make the world a better place to live in that are the real hero’s of our time.

Of the songs that I kept going back to Bowie was always there, had a song for every occasion.

zinaru
    Free Member

music is a big part of my life and bowie is a thread of that. very sad he’s gone simply because he’s been part of the landscape for my entire life. my heavily pregnant mum when to see ziggy stardusts farewell tour in 1973 in edinburgh so it was my first concert in a way… high quality womb music.

whilst he’s not my favourite musician ever, i think his achievements (and passing) is of immense cultural significance. he’s been blaring on my speakers and it seems their is a lot of dust in my office today…

and his final album is a conceptual and sophisticated farewell – a true artist.

RIP

DaRC_L

mikewsmith + 1
    Bowie songs were the soundtrack to my life from Space Oddity to Everyone Says Hi with a little bit of the laughing gnome thrown in too

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 160 total)

The topic ‘David Bowie’ is closed to new replies.