Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Database (Data Base?) wanted – as simple and freeware as possible.
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

I’m using a speradsheet instead of a database. Access is too difficult for me. Any ideas, please? Think along the line of a database for your grandad 🙂

IanMunro
    Free Member

Can you carry on using excel? That’s pretty much already a database for grandads 🙂

Dougal
    Free Member

Keep using the spreadsheet.

jam-bo

is access is too difficult for you then stick to excel.

atlaz
    Free Member

Yup. Access is as easy as a database gets and if that’s got you stumped, excel is your only option

geoffj

Filemaker is easier to use than Access. There are versions for Windows & Mac OSX. If you were using a Mac, then Bento would be the answer.

epicyclo

Definitely FileMaker.

What are you going to use it for?

duckers
    Free Member

It depends on what you want to use the ‘database’ for, Access is fine as a single user database but once you have a few users accessing data concurrently it becomes a huge pain in the arse to maintain as its (contrary to popular belief) not really designed for that.

Tell us a little more about what your excel spreadsheet does, what it stores, what it looks like, how many users, etc…

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Filemaker is very intuitive to use but not sure you’ll get it for free unless you get it for “free”…

Recent versions (7 onwards) are very powerful for building multi-file/multi-table relational databases and it has some pretty neat UI and scripting tools and with proper server editions it’s very stable for very large databases with many users. I use it all the time at work for school MIS development and maintenance.

It’s also very easy to build a simple flat-file database as well.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member
    Hairychested
    Free Member

I’m trying OO but I honestly don’t understand how to go about the bleeding thing. Have to learn it somehow 🙁 Are there any good books (Database for Idiots?)

DomC
    Free Member

I’m guessing that the bit you’re finding difficult in Access is creating relationships between tables, creating keys etc? These things are intrinsic to databases, so there’s no getting around learning how they work if you want to create a proper database. Have a look on the internet for database tutorials, there’s thousands of them, some of them are even quite good. Better still, pay someone like me to do it for you 😀

Hairychested
    Free Member

Dom, email me if you can, please.

JulianA
    Free Member

MySQL and EMS MySQLManager? More complicated than Access but good (if you like Open Source) and free…

Got a copy of EMS MySQL Manager somewhere if you want it.

GrahamA
    Free Member

Before recommending something – What are you trying to do with your database?

Is is possible that there is already a free/low cost/open source project that may already do what you want without the need for you to set up a database.

Feel free to get in touch direct if you need some advice.

mrchrispy

i was thinking the same thing. if someone asked me to do them a database i’d try and point them towards something they was already build doing a similar job. why reinvent the wheel?

stevomcd
    Free Member

Don’t use the Open Office database. I’ve been using it for our bookings and it’s driving me mental. Not on the same planet as Access.

You can’t even manipulate dates with it FFS, so, for example, I can’t get it to give me a report on who’s arriving next week because it can’t handle something as simple as TODAY()+7…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Database (Data Base?) wanted – as simple and freeware as possible.’ is closed to new replies.