Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Dash cam time
  • Brainflex

After another close call with an idiot truck driver, I think it’s time for a dash cam. What is the STW recommendation for a decent one one a budget?

Thanks

bails

What kind of budget. I’ve got a nextbase one which was easy enough to fit and comes on/off when I start/stop the car, not much else to say tbh. Good customer service though, they sent me a couple of spare mounts for free after I emailed asking where I could buy them.

jeffl

I got a cheap nextbase 212g from Argos a few months back for £40 or £50. Also added a hardwire kit. Seems fine so far.

highpeakrider
    Free Member

I’ve looked but never found a need for one, if you adapt your driving to a more defensive style and watch for trouble you don’t get into trouble and the whole thing becomes more relaxing.

Yes you could have a crash but in over 40 years of driving I’ve had one sample bump, is that worth fitting a camera for?

bensongd
    Free Member

We got a £40 next base one from halfords. Useful when someone drove into the back of us in stationary traffic. Not sure we could have driven defensively around that one.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Vantrue X1

derek_starship
    Free Member

’ve looked but never found a need for one, if you adapt your driving to a more defensive style and watch for trouble you don’t get into trouble and the whole thing becomes more relaxing.

Yes you could have a crash but in over 40 years of driving I’ve had one sample bump, is that worth fitting a camera for?

He wants a bloody camera. Okay?
    Stop preaching. This place…

somafunk

I’ve never needed one but then again i am a better driver than most

That’s what you sound like highpeakrider,

as per the op’s question  : I have a garmin 55 dash cam, works ok but the standby battery/capacitor is shite, it’s meant to be removable if you have an accident so you can take pictures but the battery runs out in a few seconds – quite a common fault apparently, for a third of the price i’d just get a cheap next base cam from halfords/amazon etc – get it hardwired into the vehicles ignition system and hide the wires under the headlining etc

nealglover
    Free Member

I’ve looked but never found a need for one, if you adapt your driving to a more defensive style and watch for trouble you don’t get into trouble and the whole thing becomes more relaxing.

Twice in the last 5 years, while driving a company vehicle with a hidden camera built into the mirror, I had people reverse into me at traffic lights in attempt to get whiplash compensation claims.

Was worth it both times.

So. Yes.

trail_rat
    Free Member

We have our selves a regular driving god here…. Must be stw. #smurfhat.

40 years in the past is not a good indicator of 5 minutes into the future as Neal points out.

Drive as defensive as you want….. They will get you eventually

highpeakrider
    Free Member

My my some touchy people on here today……
    Maybe a webcam could protect me……

aP
    Free Member

I have a Garmin unit. I haven’t had to rely on it (yet). It does warble and bleep a lot – speed, proximity, car in front moving off….

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Maybe a webcam could protect me……

Doesn’t sound like you’ll ever need protection, cos your’e awsumz & always will be.

All our vehicles have Virtus Fleet cameras fitted, but I don’t know if theyr’e available ‘over the counter’ as it were.

z1ppy

Nothing touchy about disputing a stupid comment, HPR.
    I have a viofo a109, wouldn’t be without one, in today’s traffic. It does what I need, is pretty subtle, is 2 years old & worked faultlessly. ‘Techmoan’ on YouTube does some honest video’s on different options, to get an idea of what you want, what the disadvantages can be

Brainflex

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a starting point now and will get something from those listed.

popstar
    Free Member

Viofo 119 +1!

It has got a capacitor instead of flaky Nimh or Lion battery. Which in hot weather tends to expand and fail. Had other dash camera’s with Nimh batteries (mini 806 with amazing video quality), and every 6 months had to change leaking batteries. Was PITA. Now don’t have any problems with my current Viofo 118 (3years of service) and 119.

Was fancying Halfords dashcams as wifi was a sexy factor, but after wathcing youtube comparison went for higher quality video and number plate deffinition/recognition with Viofo 119.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I have a Nextbase 312GW that works great, if I was recommending one I’d go for the 512 as you can add a wireless rear camera.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Dash cam time’ is closed to new replies.