Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Darwin Award contenders – Brighton webcam
  • outofbreath
    Free Member

Yes! Exactly the same!

Several Recovery guys die every year. AFAIK zero RNLI/ILB guys have died in recent years on shouts. If you want to stop doing something to protect other people stopping driving is gonna save way more people than surfing in gales.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Why, if this was almost of the plan did he go hospital then? You do realise that if he was perfectly ok then no one would have forced him to the hospital?

What if someone breaks down on the motorway and the AA have to attend

That is the most ridiculous analogy i have ever heard in my life.

DezB
    Free Member

I know one person who won’t agree. One person in the whole world 😆

outofbreath
    Free Member

Why, if this was almost of the plan did he go hospital then?

We haven’t been told. One obvious reason would be to check him for hypthermia. If so was he an idot who didn’t consider the risk of hypthermia and wasn’t wearing suitable gear to stay warm, or did he surf a lot and mitigated the danger with a wetsuit and hood? We don’t know.

You do realise that if he was perfectly ok then no one would have forced him to the hospital?

If you’ve been in cold water they pretty much do.

This really is a futile debate. the only way to find out if the guy is a idiot or just taking a calculated risk is to hear from him in his own words. Until that happens we’re just guessing.

outofbreath
    Free Member

I think you can probably follow my point, though. We shouldn’t all give up stuff to stop other people taking a risk to help us if we get it wrong.

jam-bo

apparently the same guy earlier that day doing a bit of risk normalisation…

outofbreath
    Free Member

apparently the same guy earlier that day

Was it earlier? I assumed he’d ‘launched’ off the pier once, did he go in several times? Is it the same guy?

johnx2
    Free Member

So based on that clip I’d call those conditions shite but surfable if you’re desperate (I’ve certainly surfed shiter), but the guy in the water didn’t look to be much of a surfer in terms of positioning and forgetting to pop up. For that reason the spirited defence I’d come here to mount I can’t really be arsed with.

Actually I did know (as in say hi to) a lad who had the coastguard called on him – in this case by surfers who thought probably correctly that he was out of his depth on a particular wave (let’s just say NE Lobos but breaks over shopping trolleys onto syringes). But he’d got himself out of trouble before they arrived. I’d’ve been very embarrassed and pissed off.

Twodogs

the guy in the water didn’t look to be much of a surfer in terms of positioning and forgetting to pop up

I’m not so sure….I think he was just riding that one in, not trying to surf properly..he seemed quite proficient at turning and getting the board under him to catch it.

still shite conditions tho

IdleJon

We shouldn’t all give up stuff to stop other people taking a risk to help us if we get it wrong.

Exactly. What’s best? Sitting staring at a phone judging people, or getting outside and doing something? It says a lot for the general sense of people that we are talking about a few individual cases.

Around Xmas a walker needed to be rescued from Culver Hole on Gower. She’d apparently got caught in the gully by the tide. (I find that difficult to believe because it’s a very easy clamber up to an easy footpath back to the village, but then I’m thinking about it from my POV and I’m mobile and fit!)

The overwhelming Facebook opinion was that she shouldn’t have been putting herself at risk. It was a normal Welsh December day. She needed rescuing from a place where I’ve been plenty of times, with my kids, alone, etc. There is little risk, but that doesn’t people judging that SHE SHOULDN’T HAVE BEEN THERE!!

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Darwin Award contenders – Brighton webcam’ is closed to new replies.