Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Dartmoor Primal 27.5 – a few questions if anyone can help
  • dannyh
    Free Member

I am looking at the Dartmoor Primal 27.5 as I have just cracked my previous frame. I will be able to get a warranty replacement, but I am using this as an excuse to move on, so I will flog the warranty replacement and buy one of these instead, I think.

I have a few questions about it, though.

It looks like internal routing for the rear mech, I assume still full outer?

Is the BB shell threaded?

What is the cable routing for a dropper?

I can’t quite make things out clearly enough in photos to know all this for sure.

That’s about it, I’ll be swapping everything else over. Rockshox Sektor 140mm, SRAM 1×11 GX1 and a reverb.

If anyone knows any issues, give me a shout please!

Ta.

nick1962
    Free Member

My (2 year old)Primal is a 26/650b compatible and has routing for a Stealth dropper.Ran it as a 26 and now as 650b.
    The BB was the normal threaded type,can’t remember if it’s 68 or 73.
    Internal routing yes,I used a full outer for the rear.Running 1×10 with an 11-42 Sunrace cassette and Zee derailler no probs.Running 2x might mean you need a specific front derailler as the exit hole for the dropper was right where I had mine and it is raised around the hole.
    I used a Primal Blink headset(just drops in) and Fury stem which I bought with the frame.I run a X Fusion Sweep set at 140mm- feels just right
    Rear tyre clearance looked a bit tight for a HR2 2.3 so I switched to a Beaver. I think the max recommended is 2.25
    Frame felt really light and I was worried it might be a bit flimsy but seems to be holding up well.I did bend the rear mech hanger but managed to bend it back,Bought a spare now just in case.

dannyh
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply. I just realized I needed a new headset as well, so have ordered the Blink. I’ll be running SRAM 1×11 so no need for front derailleur routing. My dropper is non-stealth, but I have watched a build vid on YouTube and there is routing for non-stealth droppers.

I have pulled the trigger! Iridescent red, looks lovely.

I just need to flog the warranty replacement frame to recoup as much cash as possible!

Cheers.

dannyh
    Free Member

A couple of other things nick1962 if you don’t mind – when you said the headset just drops in, surely it still needs pressing?

I’m trying to absolutely minimise bike downtime, so I was thinking I would try to get the headset pressed at an LBS as it is the only thing I am not happy to do when building up a frame.

But if the headset cups don’t need pressing in then that makes life easier.

Also, I assume the crown race will need pressing onto the fork as well?

Ta.

nick1962
    Free Member

No it just drops in,no need to press,two minute job-wish all headsets were like this.I think it’s called a semi integrated headset but I may be wrong abut the correct term.If you ordered the Blink headset there should be two crown races ,one for 1 1/8 and one for tapered.AFAIK I just pressed it on the fork as usual.

dannyh
    Free Member

Thanks for the help Nick.

I got the frame yesterday after work, took it home and built it up last night.

Just a few tweaks to do now on the gears and some helitape to apply and it will be ready for a shakedown ride over the weekend.

I was worried it might be a bit eye-watering given the bars, hubs and chainring are orange and the chainguide is green, but it looks absolutely mint (in my opinion, obviously).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Dartmoor Primal 27.5 – a few questions if anyone can help’ is closed to new replies.