Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Dark side riding best it’s ever been
  • zinger
    Free Member

Normally for me road riding is something I only do when the mtb trails are too wet to ride

Due to punishment pass^s, pollution and just way too many cars making it an unpleasant activity

But now with the lockdown in place, the roads are really quiet I had what had to be my best ever uk road ride today, no near death experiences, no pollution and virtual solitude on whole ride

Not been doing much mtb  rides though as unless  you ride in the dark it’s not possible to socially distance on narrow trails,  and night riding although fun probably isn’t the most responsible thing to do . Plus I’d say mtb riding at the mo has a higher risk of injury compared to the road with the lack of traffic

Fingers crossed we don’t end up with total lockdown

Ride safe all

136stu
    Free Member

Same here, gave up on towpaths and bridleways last weekend due to congestion, roads much quieter.

MrOvershoot

I’m just pissed off that I’m working more hours than usual, can’t even ride to work as the trains and the ferry have stopped running when I need them 🙁
    Still at least I have a secure job 🙂

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Agree – ride this morning was like being out early on New Years Day!

tenfoot

Not been doing much mtb rides though as unless you ride in the dark it’s not possible to socially distance on narrow trails, and night riding although fun probably isn’t the most responsible thing to do

I went out on the MTB at 5.30 am on Friday as there are so many more people about during daylight hours. I agree that night riding would probably not be a good idea at the moment, but although I started in the dark it soon got light, and I got back without seeing a soul. Loved it

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s wonderful isn’t it?

I’ve properly got back into it and even bought a new road bike.

Did get close passed by a bus today, but at least I can dob the driver in easily enough.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Try living in Ireland, you can’t ride or drive or exercise outside a 2km radius from your house. And there are lots of Police checks. But enjoy it over there until Boris catches up!

mashr

Yes, but no. It’s lovely having quiet roads, but I do miss being able to smash on in a group/chainy

kcr
    Free Member

Road traffic currently at 1955 levels. 70+% drop in use.

jamesoz

Did just under 12 miles yesterday and yes, a tiny number of cars but I’d say close passes were as many as a 30 mile ride with normal traffic.

rOcKeTdOg

Road traffic currently at 1955 levels. 70+% drop in use.

It was like that here at the beginning of the week but seems to be more and more cars on the road as the weeks gone on.

I use the motorway to get to work & earlier in the week it was just lorries on there & the occasional boy racer peleton of lowered cars going 100+ mph but has been getting busier

This weekend’s weather & the idiots will ruin our tiny bit of freedom I think

kerley
    Free Member

I haven’t noticed much difference. Never used to see many cars at 7 in morning at weekends but still seeing about the same number with the same number deciding that overtaking on blind bends is a good idea. The dog walking car parks are more full than they used to be even at 7 in the morning so more cars driving to those car parks than normally.

twistedpencil

Going out shortly, did notice less traffic last weekend but still the same number of close passes, definite correlation between people probably driving for no real reason and the close passes by big overpriced SUVs.  The area surrounding Alderley Edge was particularly bad…

core

Enjoy it while you can, anecdotally there seem to be lots of groups of road cyclists out locally and nationally, so expect cycling to be stopped next. Selfish pricks.

matt_outandabout

Mrs_oab and I just did 20km around the lanes here – two vehicles passed us on the lanes, saw three more as we dropped into BofA.

IdleJon

anecdotally there seem to be lots of groups of road cyclists out locally and nationally, so expect cycling to be stopped next. Selfish pricks.

Anecdotally? Has anyone seen these fabled herds of cyclists? Or is this just another way to berate cyclists?

slowoldman

close passes by big overpriced SUVs. The area surrounding Alderley Edge was particularly bad…

Figures. Though to be honest I’ve found the roads around Alderley, Mottram and Prestbury quieter than usual.

chakaping
    Free Member

Surprised to hear people are getting as many close passes as normal, I’ve has a small fraction of the usual amount.

I have found drivers either being more careful and considerate than usual or driving faster – but not actually so close to me – probably because there’s nothing coming the other way.

Would like to see traffic police collaring a few boy racers anyway, just to get the message out that ragging round in modified Saxo doesn’t qualify as essential travel, or your one form of exercise.

IdleJon

Would like to see traffic police collaring a few boy racers anyway, just to get the message out that ragging round in modified Saxo doesn’t qualify as essential travel, or your one form of exercise.

I was walking back from Sainsbury’s yesterday, through an absolutely deserted city centre, and watched a bloke my age, in a new Merc floor it away from the lights. It’s not just kids, it’s the same old idiots but with less people watching them to keep them in step.

boomerlives
    Free Member

Has anyone seen these fabled herds of cyclists?

Yep, gang of 6 this morning in the NW.

Nobs

chakaping
    Free Member

I was walking back from Sainsbury’s yesterday, through an absolutely deserted city centre, and watched a bloke my age, in a new Merc floor it away from the lights. It’s not just kids, it’s the same old idiots but with less people watching them to keep them in step.

Yep, you are right. I’ve seen boy racers of all ages in all kinds of vehicles.

I’ve been trying not to get bothered by other people being **** but the most-annoying one was a Land Rover flooring it past me up Hunters Hill (for anyone who knows West Lancs or has ridden the Bolton Ironman), belching black smoke.

Then I see it parked in front of the locked gates of the car park at the top, with the driver disappearing off down the footpath at the back.

chakaping
    Free Member

Has anyone seen these fabled herds of cyclists?

Saw two middle aged blokes riding together near Parbold the other day, now they could have been a couple – but they looked distinctly sheepish as I instinctively gave them the wave.

Just why would you do that?

Mister-P
    Free Member

Why? Because people are stupid and the current situation is highlighting just how stupid.

richardkennerley

Saw lots of cyclists today, but all individuals apart from one group of three blokes and a couple of families with kids.

There’s good sections where I can go for a long time without seeing anyone, but there’s still knobs about driving too fast and too close. Knobs will always be knobs.

crazy-legs

I had one extremely ill-judged overtake yesterday but other than that it was SO quiet on the roads. Alderley Edge out to Knutsford is usually a road I avoid – that classic A-road that is wide enough for 2 cars but nothing else so if there’s a cyclist there interrupting their 50mph progress, they get irate. This time, there were only 2 cars that overtook me along that entire road, both gave huge wide margins as there was nothing coming the other way.

Cat & Fiddle was deserted. Really weird looking down the long winding curves of the hill and seeing no vehicles at all for 2+ miles of road!

twistedpencil

Overtaken by 8 cars this morning on a 30k loop, no close passes, it was great.  I didn’t see any groups of roadies but suddenly there appears to be far more cohabiting middle aged men riding in pairs than I’d imagined 🙂

Gunz
    Free Member

Round here, on the Devon/Cornwall border it’s like the opening scene from 28 Days Later, great for the road bike.

crazy-legs

Round here, on the Devon/Cornwall border it’s like the opening scene from 28 Days Later, great for the road bike.

It did occur to me that this would be the perfect time to do some urban riding. Based on a one-off rather unsanctioned “race” many years ago in London, I’ve got a couple of London Underground-based / inspired routes and it’d be amazing to ride them now.

Anyone rememeber the days when @jedi used to organise some STW Urban Meet-Ups in London. Jumping off steps and urban freeride etc. Perfect time for it now!

w00dster

Did a nice ride this morning, more cyclists than cars. Didn’t see any groups and all the group riders I know are all riding solo at the moment. Also appeared to be quite a few newer riders out and about which is good.
    That wind though! My last 8 miles was dead into a headwind, not much worse than doing 250 watts for 13mph downhill!

whytetrash

Did over 300miles last week and didn’t see one group of cyclists…. plenty of (married looking) couples and few mum dad and 2 kids on the coastal paths around North Wales.. roads are ace, only problem being I’m now reaching road junctions expecting them to be clear😉

Sandwich

I’m an anti-social cyclist at the best of times. The horse riders were the only non-compliant bunch I saw when I was  last out on Thursday. Everyone has passed wide and slow on the windy back roads.

BIGMAN
    Free Member

Managed 3hrs on the marshes this morning. Total vehicles in that time 4 and of those only one on my side of the road. I was out at 5.45am but I have never seen those roads as quiet as this morning.

earl_brutus

I read that the volumes of traffic were seeing is 75% less than normal. Makes for really awesome road riding. Clean air no noise and loads more people out on bikes. Enjoy it while you can.

zinger
    Free Member

Rode again today once I was out of Brighton and heading up to devil’s dyke bike riders outnumbered cars

No groups of riders other than families

On a long ride I had about 10 cars go past, I did leave ride till 3pm though and mainly hit minor roads,

But some of the roads which are usually really  busy were really quiet

Stopped on a bridge  over a23 and there were very few cars going north  or south

Wet weather  forecast tomorrow so legs will get a rest from unaccustomed  road riding , glad I bought chamois cream it makes sitting down in saddle more than on mtb a lot more comfortable

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Dark side riding best it’s ever been’ is closed to new replies.