Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • damp loft?
  • swiss01
    Free Member

up in my loft for the annual getting of the christmas stuff and i notice that there seems to be a lot of condensation. it's not a new thing, there just seems more of it. can't see why this should be. any suggestions?

wwaswas

eaves blocked by insulation so no air circulating?

swiss01
    Free Member

the guy that had the house before us was abit of a (you shouldn't) do it yourself type. there does seem to be a lot of insulation up there. i shall check

fishwife
    Free Member

hi

had something similar – check you haven;t got too many things plasticcy as these can trap the hot air which rises and condensation forms aS i found when i had the really great idea of overlaying the loft insulation with a plastic tarpaulin

also houses need to breath and too much insulation can stop this

clubber
    Free Member

Poor air circulation – plenty of reasons why this could be but being blocked by insulation seems most likely.

Aristotle
    Free Member

I found the same thing at our house.

I went around the perimeter of the loft and tucked the ends of the insulation under itself to allow an air gap between the roof and the joists.

When done, with the light off, I could see daylight around the 3 exposed sides of the loft. There's no longer a problem with condensation.

Baldysquirt

WE've had similar recently with most of the problem down to blocked air circulation routes. We have just had the attic room plastered, but when that dries out, I expect to see a vast improvement in the roof space. We may still need extra roof ventilation (tile vents for us as we have no soffit for eaves ventilation), though, which I would recommend is the next step if clearing all ventilation routes doesn't solve it.

hitman
    Free Member

put a ventilation tile(s) in the roof

swiss01
    Free Member

that's sounds right. thanks all

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘damp loft?’ is closed to new replies.