Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Damp bricks, should I remove + how?
  • DT78
    Free Member

I’ve been investigating a damp issue in an old outhouse converted to a toilet and utility. I have a damp meter, and have removed several courses worth of plaster to let bricks breathe. Had a dehumidifier running for a couple of weeks. All but two bricks seem to dry out. They feel dry to touch but the damp meter says they aren’t (other bricks seem OK). These are on an internal dividing wall between the two small rooms rather than an external wall. I am pretty certain the damp is caused by condensation not water ingress. It is very humid with no vents. Solid wall single story construction on the outside of the main house wall.

There is an old lead pipe relatively close by, I’ve removed the plaster and checked it over, cannot see any evidence of leaks. Wrapped it in kitchen roll to see if it would get wet. Bone dry. The only thing I can think of is there is another pipe in the wall behind the brick, but I cannot see why there would be a pipe there, and there is no evidence of it other than the damp brick.

So should I try to remove one of the bricks to have a look behind? What is the best approach? I have a SDS drill and chisel bits. Or stick with what my gut is telling me and there is nothing there, and there is something up with the damp meter?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Fit some vents, and carry on.

Cougar

Damp meters are for timber, not bricks.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Damp meters are for timber, not bricks.

Err, no they’re not, they’re for damp.
    Even back in t day they wouldn’t sandwich a pipe between to 4 inch skins of brickwork.

DT78
    Free Member

I know they are not accurate on masonry but can indicate you have a problem.

I have pattern e on this site http://www.buildingpreservation.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=115:use-ofelectrical-moisture-meters&catid=7&Itemid=84

But, it is local to two bricks rather than a whole course

Cougar

Err, no they’re not, they’re for damp.

Rising Damp

“These meters are actually calibrated for use on timber, and they can give reasonable approximations of moisture contents in wood, but on bricks, plaster and wallpaper they give readings which are way too high, and can easily be used to give the impression that a wall is damp when it is actually in a perfectly normal equilibrium moisture state with its surroundings.”

slackalice
    Free Member

The answer is always in the question! You need to do three things:
    Ventilate
    Ventilate and
    Ventilate

Next! 😀

redmex
    Free Member

Easy to remove a brick with your sds plus, 8mm drill bit around the 4 sides holes almost touching and then a thin chisel maybe an old wood one and it will pop out
    Insulting tape wrapped 100mm from the tip of the bit so you dont insert drill too far

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Damp bricks, should I remove + how?’ is closed to new replies.