Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 133 total)
  • Damn those tories.. they were right all along..
  • totalshell

cutting public sector jobs has been absorbed and exceeded by increase in private new jobs (-34k public jobs +114k private sector jobs ,, march- june 2013) and wages rising fastest since 1997 unemployment down overall..

we must re elect labour quick or we ll end up with folks owning us billions not the other way round..

kimbers

and yet food bank use continues to rise

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

wages rising fastest since 1997

Hands up if this is you.

wwaswas

and youth unemployment rose yet again last month.

camo16
    Free Member

and

and youth unemployment rose yet again last month.

Obviously, both are Labour’s fault. The Tories are responsible for the good news, Gorge for the bad. That’s just the way it rolls. 🙄

Hands up if this is you.

* keeps hands down. sighs *

grum
    Free Member

I bet most of the jobs lost were relatively decent in terms of pay and working conditions – aren’t 75% of these new jobs minimum (ie below living) wage?

binners

75% of the jobs created in George’s economic Miracle are earning below the £7.50 an hour deemed a living wage. And feature millions now on zero hours contracts

Woooohoooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!! Brilliant!!! Rejoice!!!!

hora
    Free Member

Thankfully Dave is sending almost half a billion to Syria in the form of aid.

Lets hope none fall into the hands of people who might commit a future 9/11, 7/7 or similar.

vinnyeh

And be thankful that this time the recovery in the jobs market isn’t centred on zero hour contracts, coffee shops in the SE, and Tesco Metros.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

The figures for those underemployed, in low paid work and those in zero hours contracts dont make things sound so rosey.

we must re elect labour quick or we ll end up with folks owning us billions not the other way round..

How is the national debt doing under the Tories?

Junkyard
    Free Member

UN criticising them for their bedroom tax
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24046094

You would need to have a myopic set of blue tinted glasses to consider GO missing all his targets, re writing them and a slow “recovery” [ capitalism is boom and bust it will recover whatever he does] a success.

PS Good troll though

footflaps

75% of the jobs created in George’s economic Miracle are earning below the £7.50 an hour deemed a living wage. And feature millions now on zero hours contracts

Another great Tory success, remove all the well paid secure jobs with pensions and benefits etc and replace them all with insecure low paid jobs. Yep the Tories were right, or at least Anne Widecombe, they are The Nasty Party.

MoreCashThanDash

“UN criticize UK government for bringing social housing welfare rules in line with private sector benefit rules”

Thank god they’ve not wasted their precious time looking at the Syrian issue then.

*finishes coffee and goes out to spend rest of day working on social housing estate where no one will actually ask me about the issue

jam-bo

if someone is giving away free food, why would you buy it?

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Another great Tory success, remove all the well paid secure jobs with pensions and benefits etc and replace them all with insecure low paid jobs

Although on the plus side this will make us more internationally competitive thus increasing profits and strengthening the economy.

Not much good for most of the population but I suppose you can’t have everything.

cranberry
    Free Member

How is the national debt doing under the Tories?

Not enjoying the spectacular growth seen under the economic f*ckwittery of Comrade Brown.

binners

I’ve heard rumours it isn’t from Waitrose! And some of it isn’t even organic!

camo16
    Free Member

Not much good for most of the population but I suppose you can’t have everything.

I’d argue that what isn’t good for most of the population can’t be good for the country.

grum
    Free Member

Although on the plus side this will make us more internationally competitive thus increasing profits and strengthening the economy.

Yeah, just like Germany eh? 😕

Junkyard
    Free Member

Is that for real?

binners

When did the Tories ever even pretend they give a shit about most of the population? Its the top 5% they’re all about. Everyone else can rot for all they care

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Was more thinking of the level of support the Tories get from people who think they are in the club but will probably find out their not when they come in the firing line.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Bloody commie we are all in this together

See you at Klosters 😉

Lifer
    Free Member

MoreCashThanDash – Member
    “UN criticize UK government for bringing social housing welfare rules in line with private sector benefit rules”

Thank god they’ve not wasted their precious time looking at the Syrian issue then.

Ms Rolnik, who is producing a report on adequate housing around the world for the UN human rights council, says she was in the UK for two weeks at the government’s invitation.

UN in multifaceted role shocker.

camo16
    Free Member

Everyone else can rot for all they care

Well, they have to work and quietly generate tax revenue… they can rot underneath, as long as they’re working and shutting the hell up.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Typical massaged govt BS figures. It’s been this way since the mid-eighties. It’s far easier to prentend there isn’t a problem, or that you’ve ‘solved’ it and blame the poor for being poor, than it is to address the issues and make real ‘hard choices’.

bokonon
    Free Member

The government have re-classified swathes of public sector jobs as private sector (e.g. all of Further Education Colleges – paid for by the taxpayer, are now considered to be private sector jobs…) this is a good way of increasing the number of private sector jobs figures, but changing nothing. Deckchairs/Titanic.

dragon
    Free Member

Another great Tory success, remove all the well paid secure jobs with pensions and benefits etc and replace them all with insecure low paid jobs.

Think you’ll find it was Brown that f**ked up pensions for pretty much everyone in the private sector.

Plenty of folk I know have had decent pay rises this last few years, mostly in engineering and pharma, but that’s a good thing IMO. Plenty of jobs and opportunities in engineering right now.

footflaps

No the opposite, there is no future for a developed country joining the race to the bottom for low paid, low skill work. The only viable long term strategy is to upskill and compete at the top end in high skill work, which involved long term employer commitment eg training etc…

kimbers

dragon – Member
    Think you’ll find it was Brown that f**ked up pensions for pretty much everyone in the private sector

really nothing to do with the collapse in global share prices?
    or infact nigel lawsons brilliant invention of pension holidays- chancellors have always hated pensions as they take cash out of the economy and it cant be spent on precious consumer tat

heres a graph

MrsToast
    Free Member

wages rising fastest since 1997

Hands up if this is you.

*Hands stay down*

Still, who cares about the reality of people’s day to day lives when the figures look good on paper?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Of course the Tories care about people (voters) – they are a political party and need to be elected just like any other party. Bizarre to argue otherwise – you cant be elected if you only target 1-2% of the population!

GO has confounded his critics (including Balls and the IMF and many on here) however the job is only partially done at best. Our economic recovery is indeed gaining momentum but faces very considerable headwinds domestically and internationally. Not least, what will happen when the deliberate policy of mis-pricing risk and flooding the market with excess liquidity comes to an end.

GO and his critics go on about sticking to Plan A and austerity when the reality is completely different. Step away from the rhetoric and he has shown a high level of flexibility (which neither he nor his critics admit). On more than one occassion he has pushed back the timetable for balancing the structural budget (ironically what Balls was partially arguing himself) and did so in response to the weakness in the economy. So complete bllx to talk about sticking to Plan A. Austerity was largely a myth anyway apart from the excessive cuts in infrastructure (where he did make mistakes).

But it is pure sour grapes and nonsense not to celebrate the broadening out of economic activity in the UK. The surprises are now coming on the upside not the downside and that is a good thing.

At the moment, the growth still lacks solid foundations so complacency could set in. We are being led by consumption again ( 🙁 ) rather than exports (despite weaker £) or investment and that is not a good thing. Plus he has failed to bring in sufficient supply side reforms.

But the giveaway is Labour’s current argument ie the shift away from flatlining/too far to fast to “living standards.” This is a subtle but important shift. The political argument has swung to who should share the benefits of the recovery and that, as the FT editorial concludes today, is a clear “victory for Mr Osborne” and a major challenge that the opposition will have to address – the joker card looks more like a trump card at this rate. But as I have said recently, it is only a low trump card and lots remains before GO can feel confident that it is a job well done.

The question now as the FT says in its sub-title is – “managing the UK’s recovery will prove just as important” and that is still very much WIP.

marcus7
    Free Member

well my hands up, sorry, If im honest i’m far better off than when i was in ’97 but then again i was on crap money so no real suprise…. and in the private sector to!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

footflaps – Member
    The only viable long term strategy is to upskill and compete at the top end in high skill work, which involved long term employer commitment eg training etc…

+1 and 100% which is where successive governments have failed miserably

footflaps

well my hands up, sorry, If im honest i’m far better off than when i was in ’97 but then again i was on crap money so no real suprise…. and in the private sector to!

One swallow doesn’t make a summer etc…

MSP

One swallow doesn’t make a summer

But it is a nice way to end a first date.

MSP

Of course the Tories care about people (voters) – they are a political party and need to be elected just like any other party. Bizarre to argue otherwise – you cant be elected if you only target 1-2% of the population!

No they don’t, they just sell a dream of sucsess that doesn’t reflect reality, and fear of following a different path.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Your boyfriend is very lucky MSP

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

MSP – Member
    ….they sell a dream of success that doesn’t reflect reality, and fear of following a different path.

(indeed)…they are a political party and need to be elected like any other….QED

BermBandit
    Free Member

Think you’ll find it was Brown the ageing population that f**ked up pensions for pretty much everyone in the private sector.

Plenty of the very limited sample defined as folk I know, have had decent pay rises this last few years, mostly in engineering and pharma, but that’s a good thing IMO. Plenty of jobs and opportunities in engineering right now due to the lack of trained and skilled people caused by the demise of the UK’s manufacturing industry over the last 30 years

FTFY

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 133 total)

The topic ‘Damn those tories.. they were right all along..’ is closed to new replies.