Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Daily Commute helmet (moon on stick)
  • sirromj

Want:
    * Daily usage cycling helmet
    * Good airflow
    * Prefer MTB to roadie styling.
    * The less padding to soak up sweat and go manky the better
    * Durable padding – should survive weekly (or more) washes in washing machine
    * 59cm head, regular shape???

Past helmets:
    * Catlike Leaf, favourite of recent times, a good fit, even after pads were thrown away.
    * 661 Recon Scout helmet another good fit but padding is deteriorated < 1.5yr

Any recommendations?

ton
    cynic-al
    Free Member

Any recommendations?

More gentle washing of pads, buy spares etc.

lunge

You wash your helmet pads weekly?! Wow, mine get a light hand wash when the smell gets bad, once a year tops I think.

Bar that, my answer would be a cheap On-One/Carnac job. You can pick up a perfect good lid for £15 easily enough.

sirromj

Cycling twice a day, minimum 5 days a week, often six, mostly short rides, but enough to get hot and sweaty.

Guess I could get a haircut! Shaved would be the functional ideal, but not my best look, and not allowed.

geex
    Free Member

No helmet ticks all your *wants nicely

sirromj

The trouble with the On-one XC offering, and others which go from 58-62, is they tend to wobble side-to-side on my 59cm head.

There’s this MET road/mtb helmet:
    https://www.merlincycles.com/met-crossover-road-mtb-helmet-94869.html

sirromj

Ahh, think I know where you’re going Geex…. no helmet right? That’s what you said.

funkmasterp

Guess I could get a haircut! Shaved would be the functional ideal, but not my best look, and not allowed.

Speaking as a no choice badly I wouldn’t. No hair to help soak up sweat makes it worse and also leads to sweat eye.

spooky_b329

The washing machine isn’t magic, just rinse your pads under the tap, perhaps a tiny bit of soap and then squeeze the water out or pat between a towel 🙂

joebristol

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/500-mountain-biking-helmet-black-id_8328686.html

I’ve got one of these from Decathlon – used it for mtb several times a year for a few years and it was comfy. Now use it for night mtb-ing with a light on top of it.

Maybe I’m minging but I’ve never washed the pads in it…..

My newest mtb helmet is a Giro Chronicle and that is a slightly more snug fit – but it runs a lot hotter.

DezB
    Free Member

Louis Garneau Edge is what I use daily (fits your description). Comes with spare pads, which i haven’t had to use yet, almost 2 years after purchase.
    I find (tip!) dabbing the pads with kitchen roll immediately after a ride stops pads going stale and avoids needing to wash them weekly (or even monthly).
    It’s the big central vent which makes for a cool helmet (arf) ime.

Evens don’t seem to have the Garneau anymore so you’d have to hunt around.

trail_rat
    Free Member

if you sweat that much then a buff would be a prudent easily washable non fallapartable thing that could be worn under your helmet.

I wear one all year round – prevents sweat eye as well.

as for the helmet.

which ever specialized helmet fits your budget. Ive found them to be the best alrounder for style/budget/venting/comfort

tthew

I wear a buff under my lid which extends the pad life enormously. If you need max ventilation to counteract a very hot head then may limit the effectiveness of that, but it works for me.

edit – beaten while typing.

Daffy

My helmet goes in the shower with me after cycling. the pads get washed and rinsed when I do.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Have a look for a Catlike Vacuum
    Excellent airflow, comfy, pretty cheap, stylign fits what you’re after – has a little detachable peak

jca

May I point on that a moon on a stick will probably exacerbate the effects of any cranial impacts rather than reduce them…YMMV…

joemmo
    Free Member

Cut a Buff type thing into smaller strips and wear them over your forehead as a sweat band then add helmet

razorrazoo

Cut a Buff type thing into smaller strips and wear them over your forehead as a sweat band then add helmet

Or just use a headband 🤔

sirromj

Just in case anyone is interested, I got an Alpina MYTHOS L.E. MTB Helmet, and a spare pad set too, for £45, from bikediscount. Also discovered the straps are easily removable so they can be washed as well. It’s also well ventilated and reasonably comfortable (especially now that I’ve bothered to adjust the straps properly).

kimbers

Another cute for the decathlon one

I bought it as a stop over until I replaced my giro

Turns out the decathlon one is great, 12+months now not washed the pads yet🤢, tough, vented, comfy.

Safey first hi Viz too

tonyja
    Free Member

You can get a Giro Hex in large for the price of the Foray atm. If you liked the Catlike you’ll love this
    All the Giros
    If you’re on a tight budget, the Giro skyline on the next page is in your size and is only £22.
    Good thing with the Giros is its easy to buy replacement pads too.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Daily Commute helmet (moon on stick)’ is closed to new replies.