Daily Commute helmet (moon on stick)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Daily Commute helmet (moon on stick)
  • sirromj

Want:
    * Daily usage cycling helmet
    * Good airflow
    * Prefer MTB to roadie styling.
    * The less padding to soak up sweat and go manky the better
    * Durable padding – should survive weekly (or more) washes in washing machine
    * 59cm head, regular shape???

Past helmets:
    * Catlike Leaf, favourite of recent times, a good fit, even after pads were thrown away.
    * 661 Recon Scout helmet another good fit but padding is deteriorated < 1.5yr

Any recommendations?

Premier Icon cynic-al
    Subscriber

Any recommendations?

More gentle washing of pads, buy spares etc.

Premier Icon lunge
    Subscriber

You wash your helmet pads weekly?! Wow, mine get a light hand wash when the smell gets bad, once a year tops I think.

Bar that, my answer would be a cheap On-One/Carnac job. You can pick up a perfect good lid for £15 easily enough.

sirromj

Cycling twice a day, minimum 5 days a week, often six, mostly short rides, but enough to get hot and sweaty.

Guess I could get a haircut! Shaved would be the functional ideal, but not my best look, and not allowed.

geex

No helmet ticks all your *wants nicely

sirromj

The trouble with the On-one XC offering, and others which go from 58-62, is they tend to wobble side-to-side on my 59cm head.

There’s this MET road/mtb helmet:
    https://www.merlincycles.com/met-crossover-road-mtb-helmet-94869.html

sirromj

Ahh, think I know where you’re going Geex…. no helmet right? That’s what you said.

Premier Icon funkmasterp
    Subscriber

Guess I could get a haircut! Shaved would be the functional ideal, but not my best look, and not allowed.

Speaking as a no choice badly I wouldn’t. No hair to help soak up sweat makes it worse and also leads to sweat eye.

The washing machine isn’t magic, just rinse your pads under the tap, perhaps a tiny bit of soap and then squeeze the water out or pat between a towel 🙂

Premier Icon joebristol
    Subscriber

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/500-mountain-biking-helmet-black-id_8328686.html

I’ve got one of these from Decathlon – used it for mtb several times a year for a few years and it was comfy. Now use it for night mtb-ing with a light on top of it.

Maybe I’m minging but I’ve never washed the pads in it…..

My newest mtb helmet is a Giro Chronicle and that is a slightly more snug fit – but it runs a lot hotter.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Louis Garneau Edge is what I use daily (fits your description). Comes with spare pads, which i haven’t had to use yet, almost 2 years after purchase.
    I find (tip!) dabbing the pads with kitchen roll immediately after a ride stops pads going stale and avoids needing to wash them weekly (or even monthly).
    It’s the big central vent which makes for a cool helmet (arf) ime.

Evens don’t seem to have the Garneau anymore so you’d have to hunt around.

trail_rat

if you sweat that much then a buff would be a prudent easily washable non fallapartable thing that could be worn under your helmet.

I wear one all year round – prevents sweat eye as well.

as for the helmet.

which ever specialized helmet fits your budget. Ive found them to be the best alrounder for style/budget/venting/comfort

Premier Icon tthew
    Subscriber

I wear a buff under my lid which extends the pad life enormously. If you need max ventilation to counteract a very hot head then may limit the effectiveness of that, but it works for me.

edit – beaten while typing.

Premier Icon Daffy
    Subscriber

My helmet goes in the shower with me after cycling. the pads get washed and rinsed when I do.

Have a look for a Catlike Vacuum
    Excellent airflow, comfy, pretty cheap, stylign fits what you’re after – has a little detachable peak

Premier Icon jca
    Subscriber

May I point on that a moon on a stick will probably exacerbate the effects of any cranial impacts rather than reduce them…YMMV…

joemmo

Cut a Buff type thing into smaller strips and wear them over your forehead as a sweat band then add helmet

razorrazoo

Cut a Buff type thing into smaller strips and wear them over your forehead as a sweat band then add helmet

Or just use a headband 🤔

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.