Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Dabbling with 27.5+ – hub & QR advice
  • Aus
    Free Member

Hi, we’re dabbling with an old 29er and keen to try 27.5+ wheelset (probably a 2.6 or 2.8 tyre). However, the frame and forks currently are both standard QR. It looks like the frame & forks would accept a 2.8 27.5 tyre OK.

Been looking secondhand for a cheapish wheelset, but naturally QR hard to find. However, Hope hubs can be converted – but, we’ve got pretty confused as to what can be converted to what … bolt through, boost, 142 etc!

Can anyone give me a simple idiot’s guide as to what we should look out for, and/or any current QR 27.5 wheelsets available?

Many thanks

ajantom

Hope Pro 2 Evo or Pro 4 can convert to qr, 142, and 148.

iolo
    Free Member

Sorry for the hijack but will any 29 inch fork work with 27.5 plus wheels?

drewd

You can convert non boost to boost but you can’t convert boost to non boost as the hubs are too wide.

So if the hub has interchangeable end caps you can usually convert between QR 135mm rear and 100mm front to thru axle 142mm rear and 100mm front and vice versa.

A boost 148mm rear and 110mm front thru axle would become 141mm rear and 110mm front if converted to QR as the hub shells are wider.

As for hubs you could look at Hope, DT Swiss, Superstar etc, just make sure the end caps are interchangeable and the hub isn’t boost spaced.

Personally I’m running WTB Scrapper i40s on DT Swiss 350 QR non boost hubs on my Stooge with 27.5 X 3.0 but I’ve seen people run 2.8s on 35mm and 40mm wide rims.

Aus
    Free Member

Brilliant, thanks. That’s given us a clear target!

Wanting to stay light so was thinking of c.35mm rims ideally.

We’ve a rigid fork that looks good for wider tyre, the current front fork is a Reba 29er (straight steerer) so might be tight?

mjsmke

I run a 2.6 Ikon on an i29 rim. Works perfectly.

simonalex99

I got a 27.5+ front wheel 141mm 9mm qr and some Marin cromoly rigid forks which take the 141 wheel. If you are interested

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Dabbling with 27.5+ – hub & QR advice’ is closed to new replies.