Home Forums Bike Forum Cycling sweatbands

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Cycling sweatbands
  • escrs
    Free Member

So as a profuse sweater i always suffer even when the temps are 15+degrees, my big bushy eyebrows tend to collect the sweat before dumping it in my eyes

Now ive used the following sweatbands over the years with various success and now need a new one, i prefer a slim sweatband and not one of those full forehead type jobbies, also tried buffs which i didnt get on with

So ive had

Sweat Gutr, the clear version turned yellow over time but did the job well, the sweat used to drip down the side of my face rather than in my eyes, no need to stop to clear it out, they now do a black version so tempted to go with that

Halo sweatband slim version, worked well but found i had to keep stopping every 10 miles or so to ring it out which is a bit annoying on a 100 mile road bike ride, also the yellow rubber sweat barrier strip always starts to detach from the neoprene within a few months of use

So what else is out there that fits my crietria?

stanley

Another option… Oakley DRT5 helmet. It has a built in sweat gutter. It definitely helps keep some of the sweat out of my eyes.

escrs
    Free Member

Oakley DRT5 helmet

Cheers but not the kind of look i want on the road bike!

fatbikeandcoffee
    Free Member

I came in to say Halo (as I’m the same as you) but reading your post I can see you’ve had a not so good experience.

I’m using a slim, never stop to ring it out  (designed to guide around eyes not be rung out?) but perhaps I’ve been lucky as mine a few years old now and used 3 plus time a week, but I don’t ring it.

When I asked this question myself a few years back most responses said Halo hence my choice, perhaps just unlucky with the one you got?

Perhaps another option is a lid with sweatbguard in like the Oakley drt5 for you?

James

bigdean

Halo bands only lasted 20mins for me.
    I found cycling caps to be the best, use the peak of the cap to collect the sweat and it’ll drip away from your face.

Do you look a bit daft, yes but it works.
    Could cut one up to a band.

TheGingerOne

Would recommend a cycling cap under helmet, never feels hot and absorbs sweat and also if caught in rain doesn’t then deposit said sweat in your eyes either. Use one all the time now and see no reason to go back.

grahamt1980

I have been using a couple of different halo ones for a while now and not had to wring them out.

Maybe try one of the other types?

I use the halo cap for running and that works really well too, I get far more sweaty running than biking

escrs
    Free Member

perhaps just unlucky with the one you got? Perhaps another option is a lid with sweatbguard in like the Oakley drt5 for you? James

Dont think ive been unlucky, i just sweat so much it overwhelms the Halo and it cant guide it away from my eyes quick enough so it just soaks into the sweatband

Dont really want a helmet with a built in sweat band, i have 5 different helmets (two road, two MTB and the BMX one) so really need something that can work with them all

I have tried a cycling cap, still have to stop and wring them out every 25 or so miles and they tend not to last long with the amount i sweat, plus its not a good look on the MTB or BMX

My body really dosent like the heat and my head seems to get the hottest

It looks like the black Sweat Gutr fits the bill the best so may go for one of them if nothing else is better

luv2ride
    Free Member

Halo sweatband or cycling caps for me, plus I smear a bit vasoline over each eyebrow which helps divert sweat from the eyes if/when the headgear gets overwhelmed.  Combo works well on turbo trainer too. Found halo cap too big to effectively wear under a helmet (small head meant the rubber “gutter” didn’t sit flat at the temple, though the same brand sweatbands don’t do this)

thepurist

I find that the Halo headband goes through a drippy stage after around 20-30 mins, but then it seems to stabilise and works OK(“) . I do have to be careful about alignment of helmet pads, halo, sunnies and eyebrows as any bridging increases the chances of runoff. On longer rides I carry two, but that’s mainly to avoid putting a wet one back on after the cafe stop 🙂

* – wondering if it’s a physiological thing where it takes longer for my limbs/torso to start sweating enough to regulate temperature so I get a sweaty head until then

masterdabber
    Free Member

I still use my old Castelli headbands (a sort of leftover from my roadie days). They don’t look like they would do anything…. very thin and light…. but work well for me.

zomg

I think one of my Met road helmets (a fancier model, but pretty old now) has a silicone band across the brow that seems to send my sweat down the sides instead of into my eyes.

tall_martin

I sweat like mad. Not helped by refusing to start rides cold.

Cotton cycling cap on road bike.

Buff ( won on bike magic 15 years ago) on MTB.

I forgot the buff the other day and had sweat streaming down my eyes.

Buff is left as a tube and draped over my head.

TiRed

Campagnolo cotton deluxe cap works for me. Many caps are too tight or have peaks that are too big and when folded done mean you can’t see. Think mtb helmet on a road bike. This cap is perfect for me.there are thinner helmet lining options for summer that do the same. Aesos make one.

rudedog
    Free Member

I use the Gore R7 – it’s a peaked sweatband so works like a cycling cap to keep the sweat from dripping into your eyes/face – on offer for a tenner on SP at the moment

https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/2088611

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Cut a ~40mm strip out of a buff and wear it under the helmet.  Soaks up the sweat and gives it enough area to evaporate from.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Thinking outside the box, a pair of swimming goggles?

Until recently, I had no idea you could buy them these days with corrective lenses for far vision, Decathlon do pairs starting at -2 correction for ~£8.

escrs
    Free Member

Thinking outside the box, a pair of swimming goggles?

Lol now that would be a look!

Cheers for all the replies, im gonna give a black Sweat Gutr a try

Just to give you an example here’s a vid of my Halo sweat band after around 30 mins of riding in 17 degrees this morning

448824606_8154257671272001_6308947595466537111_n<script async src=”//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js” charset=”utf-8″></script>

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.