Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Cycling – front of knee pain injury fix?
  • Kryton57

Never had this before but after a hard training week and hitting a tiredness wall on a ride today, I returned home and notice a minor anterior pain.

However, later on I tried to walk up the stairs, my knee wobbled and now I’m in agony.  With 3.5 weeks training and 5 to go before my last race, am I done or can I fix it with rest?

13thfloormonk

Sounds a little bit familiar to me, when I was getting used to my new training routine I was doing 3 sets of 10 30x25s intervals. I could just make it to the end but not without pain in the front of my knee.

Turns out one ofvthe limiting factors to my training was that my knees weren’t strong enough for the sort of power required for short intervals.

Mine would be fine after a few days and the usual ibuprofen/ice etc. Just needed to do longer/lower power intervals and build up the quantity of short/hard intervals.

Stigheed

Putting power through your knees whilst your saddle is too low can cause pain to the front of the knees I have read that others on this here forum have recommended shorter crank arm lengths.

whatgoesup

I had/have some of this – after a check over the guidance from the physio I am seeing is mainly around flexibility – I’m pretty tight and that is a contributor – so aside from easing off a bit whilst it recovers and getting the position dialled in a bit more it’s essentially to do to stretching

Kryton57

RICE and stretching then, thanks.

It’s not a bike fit issue, this is on bikes I’ve been riding for years and are still in the right adjustment.   I suspect it was Saturday when I had to have a quick “get off” and dump the MTB pretty quick and put my leg leg down hard, then exaggerated by a 4h ride yesterday.

tjagain

Is it the old tight IT band? – that caused my missus knee pain by pulling the kneecap out of alignment. couple of sessions with the foam roller sorted it

GET PROPER ADVICE!

stevextc
    Free Member

I have read that others on this here forum have recommended shorter crank arm lengths.

Ignore all the custom crank length stuff… scroll to the bottom on how to measure and recommended length. This is just a method… but as good as any I’ve seen and better than most.

If you are clearly in the wrong size then it’s worth a punt… even if its just buying shorter ones used off eBay (etc)…

I am in agony for a week with 175mm whereas 170mm I’m more or less fine and thinking I’m happy to try 165mm…

Scroll to the bottom

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

also prod around at the back of the knee – I found a very sore area round the bicep femoris and it seems the was the last piece of the puzzle in what was causing my knee pain.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Cycling – front of knee pain injury fix?’ is closed to new replies.