Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • CX bike thread…. humor me… .go on… i dare you :)
  • weeksy

OK, so i moved on from the lightweight HT thoughts and moved to “Maybe i should get a CX bike for the turbo then and maybe some winter use”

Whether it’s a good idea or a bad one, we’ll have to wait and see of course 🙂 But it’s an idea and i’m sticking with it for the next few hours

I made an offer on a Pinnacle Arkose 3, but that’s disappeared from Ebay…. So i’m watching this and have asked about delivery.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pinnacle-Arkose-3-Size-L-Shimano-105-Great-Condition/113878053972?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

There’s also this, which if it were a bit more manly in colour may have swung it for me.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Planet-X-Full-Monty-SL-CX-Cyclocross-Gravel-Large/264455337989?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

And there’s.. Well.. you tell me ?

It may get the odd run out with the locals on a roadie ride, it may get the odd commute of 19 miles, it may get the odd winter ride out on it… I doubt it will see much in the way of dirt either way.

Budget, well, i’d rather not spend more than £700 because if i were to, then i’d likely jump on PlanetX and buy a London Road etc for ease… So lets say max of £500.

I’m a bit of a snob with things like Boardmans, i just don’t like them.
    Postage or sensible distance from Berks.

Go on, inspire me.

andypaul
    Free Member

Just get a secondhand Diverge on e-bay, you should be able to pick a decent one up for about £500.

You are not really giving a reason for a CX bike? Winter use and Turbo doesnt really shout CX to me

weeksy

You are not really giving a reason for a CX bike? Winter use and Turbo doesnt really shout CX to me

I don’t like skinny wheels/tyres or rim brakes. So should i go outside i want a bit ‘more’ in them departments, which says CX to me

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ll sell ye a Merida cx500, great nick, 56cm, 400 quid.

I really need to get it on ebay, just really canny be arsed!

oliverracing

Man up – pink is a mans colour! Plus is you do decide to race it people will think you’re a pro! (all the fast guys seem to have obnoxiously coloured bikes).

I wouldn’t completely rule out a canti braked bike – £500 (or judging by how much I sold a 7.7kg, ultegra CX race bike – £330 last year) will get you something awesome! Disc bikes hold their value fairly well, but I guess that’s for a reason!

weeksy

I’ll sell ye a Merida cx500, great nick, 56cm, 400 quid.

MAybe… tell me more…

Man up – pink is a mans colour!

I kinda like it too LOL.

weeksy

boogienights3 has turned down your offer of £425.00. Make another offer before the item ends

Grrrrr. LOL.

geomickb
    Free Member

Stop dithering and buy a London Road. 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I had similar thoughts when i got mine, a bit of cx, a bit of gravel and a winter road bike. Apart from the turbo, the normal road bike does that as its got the nicest saddle.

The problem is those are kinda mutually exclusive. A winter road bike has slicks and full length guards, a cx/gravel bike has knoblies and doesnt. So by the time you have a spare wheelset and take guards on and off twice a week it becomes a real PITA. So you end up buying a second one……

My solution is to keep a spare (actually my summer lightweight) wheel for the turbo with the road bike and leave guards on that, and still ended up with two cx/gravel bikes (and a third mosntercross for a while).

Other good bikes to look for on ebay:
    Specialized Crux and Trek Crockett – probably still too new to get under £500

Cannondale CaadX – possible if you shop arround long enough.

Planet-x XLA, similar geometry to the Full Monty but more CX than gravel (designed to be shouldered).

Canyon/Rose did decent but slightly race focussed models but rare as hens teeth 2nd hand.

Whatever you get, budget for new wheels, <£1000 Cx bikes have universally bad wheels. Even a set of Askiums or Shimano wheels with tubeless cx tyres will transform them.

Dont rule out rim brakes, in the dry they’re great. In the wet they’re still adequate. And because no one wants them they’re often sold for not much more than the groupset and often come with much nicer wheels!

weeksy

Stop dithering and buy a London Road.

Looking at the specs they seem a bit lardy ? The Arkose is coming in at 10.**kg, with the London Road up in the 12.5 range according to P/X website… which is pretty bulky should i ever take it outside… Along with being double the price as it’s new.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

MAybe… tell me more…

Not much more to tell, blue, full 105, TRP Spyres.

weeksy

Still got the weird secondary levers ?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Secondary levers?

qwerty
    Free Member

If you get a CX bike you can forget the SDW as a challenge….

3 Peaks CX

weeksy

Yeah the ones on the tops. I’ve just noticed them on pics…

I guess we’re down to the Merida or the Arkose… Both will need posting, both roughly the same price… both appear to be roughly the same weight too.

weeksy

too expensive for me

tom13
    Free Member

Planet X XLA is a bargain at the moment.

kerley
    Free Member

I think I will wait until Friday when you are looking for a track bike as I have a lot of experience on those.

jam-bo

I’m a bit of a snob with things like Boardmans, i just don’t like them.

but you’ll consider a planet-x or pinnacle?

weeksy

but you’ll consider a planet-x or pinnacle?

Yes…

I put an offer in at £380 on the Pinnacle about 2 hours ago, still waiting for a response.

fasthaggis

too expensive for me

It’s heading towards max CX price time now, season approaching and all that.
    I think even PX have pushed up the price on some of their models.
    Have a look at second hand stuff.

martymac

Merida cx is a nice bike, mrs mac has one.
    The chicken levers can be removed, they are a waste of bar space.

weeksy

Looks like i’m buying that one 🙂

I’ll be intersted on removal, although most of the time it will be in a wheel without a disk.

Out of interest, for you or the seller, what cassette do i need ? I’ll be running a 2nd wheel mostly and it’s currently got a 10 speed so need an 11 i think ?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If its a 10s wheel on the turbo you will need a shimano hg700 rather than cs-r…. cassette. I.e. the 11 speed 11-34 otherwise it wont fit.

Makea the gearing jumps a bit bigger but not overwhelming.

weeksy

I’ll have to check, i think it’s Mavic Crossmax wheel, can’t say 100% though as i’ve got multiple wheels and i may have given that one to my mate to borrow so the one on the turbo may be something completely different currently.

Until i get sorted i can just run the wheel and cassette it comes with along with the turbo tyre.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHIMANO-105-CS-HG700-11-Road-Bike-MTB-11-speed-Cassette-11-34T-NIB/273365132093?hash=item3fa5d4e33d:g:aHgAAOSwmfhcGy54

One of them then?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Thats the one, although some mavic wheels were 11s compatible from the start, if it has a mavic spacer in addition to the shimano 10s spacer then just remove that and fit a 11-28 for the turbo and get closer ratios.

weeksy

You know what, i think it’s likely to be ones of these

WTB ST I25 TCS Rim On El Guapo Rattlesnake Hubs 29 Front 15mm Rear 135mm QR Shimano 11 Speed BIKE BUILD [CBOOPWX5]

weeksy

Well that’s that…. no going back now… Bought and paid…

Lovely chap… easy to do business with.

so… get ready for the next thread of insanity. 🙂

weeksy

If I say Brant Brant Brant will he come in and tell me what cassette?

Or anyone else too. Obviously the suggestion above was when we thought they were Mavic.

scaredypants

get ready for the next thread of insanity

Slippy slope, weeksy. Another 6 months and you’ll be on a Tarmac 😜

weeksy

Nah, I must admit I needed a bit of a kick in the nuts psychologically regarding training and diet and a bit of a purpose. This and the now looking likely adventure to Belgium or Italy are exactly what was needed.
    But as I said, I’m not sure it will ago outside more than twice before the actual adventure

scaredypants

there’s a cross race at Newbury on Sunday

… just saying

go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, etc

weeksy

Lol stop it. I’d die on the first lap.

You lot pay and I’ll enter lol

scaredypants

🤣

I’ll chip in a tenner – you can collect it on the day. Might even stand a bag o’chips

weeksy

If you’re going i may even come over then mate whether i have it in me to race or not 🙂 would be nice to finally meet.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Or anyone else too. Obviously the suggestion above was when we thought they were Mavic.

The hg 11-34 cassette will work on any wheel.

It’s just mavics road 10s wheels turned out to be forward compatible with 11s as they had a spacer on the freehub. So if it was a mavic road freehub (duno about their mtb wheels) it could take a closer ratio cassette.

weeksy

OK, cheers.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-105-CS-5800-11-speed-cassette-11-28T/293218883401?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I bought this…. Hopefully should go on, but even not, it’s the same as is fitted to the standard wheel, so i’d have a spare 🙂

But hopefully it will, so i can have instant wheel swaps when needed.

Should be with me Thurs or Fri, but not sure when i’ll test as I’m at Swinley on Sat with my lad for enduro race prep. I may swing over to Newbury on it on Sunday to see Scardey.

weeksy

Merida cx is a nice bike, mrs mac has one.
    The chicken levers can be removed, they are a waste of bar space.

Tell me more then Marty ? I’ve done a load of Googling but can’t find anything regarding the removal of them or otherwise.

As they’re cable actuated brakes i can’t see them being massively complicated… but if there’s a process that’s best i’d like to know 🙂 I’m hoping they’re hinged at the clamps so i don’t have to re-tape it all 😀

martymac

They are hinged at the clamps, do you want a pic?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘CX bike thread…. humor me… .go on… i dare you :)’ is closed to new replies.