Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Cwmcarn update, please?
  • fadda

Hi all,

May get an opportunity to get to Cwmcarn on Saturday – I know the trails were subject to closures and diversions a few weeks ago and can find that Twrch is still affected a bit (although I’m light on detail).  I can’t find what the current situation is with the Cafall trail at all, so I thought I’d ask here.

Can someone advise whether or not I’d be better off staying in the car to get to Afan instead?

TIA

benpinnick

Caffell is closed at the moment, although there is talk of a partial reopen.

fadda

Ah, OK – thanks ben, maybe it’ll be Penhydd this weekend, and save Cwmcarn for when it’s properly reopened…

oikeith

Cant comment on the XC Trails, but on the weekend just gone I did the uplift and rode the “DH” tracks, all of them were open. You could ride these also as part of a loop or book on the uplift, which was excellent on the weekend.

ready

I’ve never tried the uplift runs at Cwmcarn, can you PAYG? Or do you have to prebook for a full days uplift?

Plus how full on are they?

P-Jay
    Free Member

Go to Afan, or better still if you can stick another 30 mins in the Car Brechfa.

Sadly Twrch is heavily diverted, Cafal is completely closed as it Pedalhounds. I live 25 mins away and I won’t bother at the moment.

I’ve never tried the uplift runs at Cwmcarn, can you PAYG? Or do you have to prebook for a full days uplift?

Plus how full on are they?

System works exactly like BPW (who stole Cwmdown’s system) Single run is £4, 5 runs £17.50. All-day with priority place is £33.50. It’s 1 Van and 1 driver so when he stops for lunch everyone does.

You’d probably get 11 runs in this time of year.

It’s hard to comment on how “full on” they are, do I claim to be triple gnar and say they’re easy or tell the truth and say I find most of the lines pretty hard, but I’ve never crashed badly. The new lower section is lovely if you’re brave enough to ride it as intended, if you don’t like to jump far then it can be a bit of a slog.

reluctantnomad
    Free Member

New to the area, so had only done Caffall before.  Rode Twrch for the first time this past Saturday and would have happily done it again, but had left it too late.  It may be diverted, and I’m no expert, but there is still some great riding there at the moment.

molgrips
    Free Member

On Saturday the Twrch was diverted from the end of the swoopy section after the top of the climb (Airstream IIRC) down to the fire road that joins the top of the final descents of both the DH course and the Twrch.  So I think you still get the highlights in, you just miss out a lot of the traversing.

fadda

Brilliant – thanks mark90.  I think I’ll give it a go after all – haven’t been to Cwmcarn for ages…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Cwmcarn update, please?’ is closed to new replies.