Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Cwmcarn Fixie Stylee
  • simon1975

No not the DH route… Am there tomorrow and will be taking both my back wheels to have a go at it fixed. I know the XC route fairly well and reckon it’s worth a punt. Might have a pedal strike or two on the climb though…

Has anyone tried trail centres on fixed wheel? Is it as fun as I think it’s going to be?

Trimix
    Free Member

I reckon it would be more fun to watch than do.

Kramer
    Free Member

Depends on how you define fun…

waihiboy
    Free Member

sick, sick man..

your in for a world of pain on some of the rooty step ups on the climb 😉

simon1975

You can come and watch if you want! I’ll probably take the chain off for the ladder drops at the top…

Seriously, if you haven’t ridden fixed you don’t know what you’re missing. I’m more about having fun and playing on bikes than out-and-out speed 😉

mah05
    Free Member

the ladder drops have gone

RichPenny
    Free Member

Why have the ladder drops gone? Some H+S rubbish?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Is this a willy waving thread?

twohats
    Free Member

Seriously, if you haven’t ridden fixed you don’t know what you’re missing.

Having tried it I knew what I was missing, my freewheel.

shoefiti
    Free Member

I don’t get this whole fixed off road thing – i mean really it is quite silly isn’t it. think about it, it’s silly, silly silly SILLY!

glenp
    Free Member

I’m all for having fun in your own style, but surely if you can’t stand up and freewheel you can’t stay safe? Just seeing anyone at all sitting down when going downhill over bumps gives me the heebeegeebees. Far more so than seeing someone with no helmet. (Although no helmet and sitting down would be the top trump.)

cheers_drive

Go for it if it floats your boat. As long as you’re not putting other people at risk…

trailmonkey

can i watch ?

ski
    Free Member

some would say riding any bike off road is silly..

if someone enjoys riding fixed off road and as cheers_drive says you’re not putting other people at risk, I cannot see the harm in that.

its a challenge at the end of the day and we all like a bit of that sometimes 😉

ski
    Free Member

simon1975 – I took a Pompino round Follow The Dog a few years back, that was my limit 😉

simon1975

Yeah I’ve done a lap of FtD fixed and managed not to dab the brake at all 🙂

Shame those ladder-drops have gone, I put the steel fork on last night especially 🙁

fozzybear
    Free Member

ladder drops are gone BOOOOOOOO!!!
    and the bowl is so cut up it’s a joke..

richc
    Free Member

I remember years ago, someone doing the Ratrun run enduro on a fixed wheel bike (I think he came in the 10 ten as well) and that had some seriously steep and technical bits on it, much, much more difficult than you would find at any trail center.

So if you are good, why not.

waihiboy
    Free Member

ladder drops have gone and it was HSE too many people having offs

wurzel
    Free Member

god it’s unbelievable isnt it?

Even in this thread there are people talking about risk and staying safe….

I find it all quite depressing tbh.

Go for the fixie mate what ratios are you running?

FuzzyWuzzy

Can’t see any attraction to fixed off-road but hey if it floats your boat and you don’t screw up everyone else’s downhill sections then go for it…

Olly
    Free Member

DO IT!!
    ace idea.

glenp
    Free Member

“Even in this thread there are people talking about risk and staying safe….”

Just after I said I’m all for people having fun, so bollocks.

I was just curious how you avoid going over the bars without standing back. Dick.

simon1975

Well I’ll definitely ride it fixed if those drops are gone, got to have some fun haven’t I?!! There aren’t any other dangerously steep sections on the XC route.

It’ll be 34:17 on 26″ MTB, my Pompino runs 39:16 but even I wouldn’t attempt to ride that up that hill.

monotokpoint
    Free Member

Please film it so we can watch it on here, or on You’ve Been Framed

wurzel
    Free Member

It’ll be 34:17 on 26″ MTB, my Pompino runs 39:16 but even I wouldn’t attempt to ride that up that hill.

that’s still quite stiff!

I’ll be interested to know how you get on, I’m thinking of going this weekend on my single spud but will probably run 32:18 – I know….. 🙄

richpips
    Free Member

You’ll be fine. The only man made course I wouldn’t have a go at on a fixie is Stainburn.

Sam

The only man made course I wouldn’t have a go at on a fixie is Stainburn.
    Laggan black?

If you’ve got the skills then go for it, I’ve ridden behind people fixed on quite technical stuff can’t say they slowed me down.

richpips
    Free Member

I’ve done Laggan black with no dabs. 🙂

zokes
    Free Member

All this talk of fixed / SS ratios, and whether you’ll change the sprocket / ring for a given ride….

Theres these things called gears now which allow you to do that at any point on a ride – makes it so much easier 😉

hazeii
    Free Member

I reckon the only time fixed really slows you down offroad (compared to SS) is on fast descents (so choose the more technical descents). And the big fun is that it’s a lot more, well, involving is probably the best word, than coasting down.

simon1975

Yeah I agree with you there, hazeii. I’ve ridden behind a fixed rider on Jacob’s Ladder and “The Beast” on a ride in the Peaks – was very impressed and will have to try it myself now my skills are improving.

And to wurzel, zokes and anyone else worried about gear ratios, I always find I can push my SS as fast as other riders can twiddle uphill 😈

ianpv
    Free Member

Serious questions –

1. How do you pump trails on a fixie (being as you can’t pedal and pump simultaneously)?
    2. When your wheels are off the ground, I assume you’ll have to keep pedaling in the air to avoid landing effectively on the brakes?
    3. …and surely you’ll be unable to weight the pedals properly in fast corners?
    4. How do you manual through compressions?

I can sort of see the point of fixies on the road, but I’m pretty sure for any kind of technical or fast off-road riding it is a pretty big hindrance to riding with any kind of smoothness. I’ve ridden once on some mild offroad with an excellent rider on a fixie, and it looked uncomfortable and flow destroying to me.

This video seems to back up my opinion. Being as Cwm Carn is a big downhill pumptrack I can’t see the appeal. Each to their own though, have a good time!

simon1975

Cheers for the video ianpv, but things like this video sum up for me the fun of riding fixed. Check out the bench-gap hops at 3:10 🙂

In answer to your questions:

1. You can pump through small dips a little to keep things flowing
    2. Yes your cranks are always turning due to the momentum in the rear wheel – it’s tricky landing sometimes and keeping control. I’ve been practising jumping off the top of a short flight of steps (3 only!)
    3. You’re right and, even worse, you’re still seated
    4. Well you can wheelie instead if you really wanted to but that’s probably an “advanced” skill 😉

It doesn’t have to be fast to be fun, and the scary moments that result from fixed off-road put some excitement in!

I was only talking about Cwmcarn anyway, it’s hardly “hardcore” riding is it?! I’ll probably do a fixed lap while I’m fresh, and then let rip on a freewheel for another go. Or keep it fixed if it goes well 😀

simon1975

Richpips it was you I was talking about earlier – I rode with you and Amy aka Trio a while back, and have been riding more fixed ever since 🙂

hazeii
    Free Member

“1. How do you pump trails on a fixie (being as you can’t pedal and pump simultaneously)?
    2. When your wheels are off the ground, I assume you’ll have to keep pedaling in the air to avoid landing effectively on the brakes?
    3. …and surely you’ll be unable to weight the pedals properly in fast corners?
    4. How do you manual through compressions?”

Well, the facetious answer is “same as normal, but just keep pedalling!”.

Except for 2 (where the answer is, it’s complex, stopping pedalling in the air is a useful technique, look up ‘fixie skid’), I guess the answer is it’s not about being quickest.

Admittedly I probably have a twisted point of view here, having learnt to unicycle before riding fixed – so a fixed bike to me is a unicycle with an extra wheel hanging out the front.

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

as soon as my IO frame turns up, that going fixed, cant wait to try and ride LeeQuarry on it.

simon1975

Really enjoyed 2 laps fixed today 🙂

3 dabs on the climb the first time up, running with steel fork. Confirmed ladder drops gone and not replaced with anything fun so replaced carbon fork for second lap and had a single dab on the climb – the same root I couldn’t get over last time I ran a freewheel here.

Was on fire by the time I got into the long bit through the trees at the top – it felt great to be up there fixed. The descent was no problem and still fun! And no-one passed me of course 😉

Lesson learnt – need to commit to getting some air off the kickers in the “freeride” area. On the first few I didn’t and kept catching a pedal each time on the lips. All good 😀

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Cwmcarn Fixie Stylee’ is closed to new replies.