Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Cutting new thread into an old tyre, will I die?
  • didnthurt

Looking at my Bridger 3″ tyres on my Stooge and although they still have a fair bit of tread left (about 5mm in the centre and about 7-8mm at the sides) the knobbles have rounded off and the little cuts/sipes in the knobbles have all worn away. Makes it a bit interesting on damp roots so I was thinking of cutting or sawing little cuts into the knobbles to aid with grip, anyone else tried doing this? Or are they now all deceased from spectacular mountain bike crashes?

I’ve ordered some new tyres anyway (Specialized Ground Control in 3″) so if it doesn’t work out it won’t be too devastating especially as they’ve lasted 2 years.

simondbarnes

Well you can buy tools for cutting treads so why not?

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tools/0-schwalbe-tread-cutters/

didnthurt

Never seen them before. Looking at my tyres again I’m thinking of putting cuts into every second knobble and will make them directional. I’ve just doubled over an old hacksaw blade and am cutting into them about 2mm so should stop them being ripped off.

reluctantjumper

The original sipes only stop halfway down the blocks on most tyres due to them becoming unstable if they were any larger so cutting fresh ones shouldn’t be an issue. The only caveat I can think of is if the compounds are layered in such a way that the softer one only covers the top half of the knobs meaning it’s the harder compound you’ll now be running on. I know some of the Maxxis 3C DH tyres suffer from this but don’t know about WTB tyres.

Worth trying, just make sure you don’t cut far enough to hit the carcass!

didnthurt

I think I’ve bit off more than I can chew as my rum addled mind underestimated how many knobbles there are. I will continue this tomorrow.

akira

I’d suggest more rum then photos in the morning.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I think your tyre is worn out and you wont be doing this again.  See those tread cutters, they get used on fresh tyres.  Please prove me wrong and I will be buying some cutters and a bottle of rum😀

Poopscoop

I want to check this thread in the morning!

singlespeedstu

Those tred cutters are for just lopping the top off the top of knobs.
    Like cutting down a spike tyres to make it more stable on rock.
    I’ve cut MX tyres before to get a new edge on them but they have a lot more rubber to go at.
    I did try the same thing with an MTB tyre but it wasn’t worth the effort in the end.

Pics of the rum induced explosion would cheer me up though.😉

Rubber_Buccaneer

What the OP should have ordered before the rum wore off was something like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTOCROSS-TREAD-DOCTOR-TYRE-CUTTING-TOOL-/123108850149

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Pics of the rum induced explosion would cheer me up though.😉

I can’t help thinking the rum will have led to one of those regrettable moments of genius

“the tyre is much more stable to cut off I put 60psi in it”
    Saw
    Saw
    Saw
    Bang.

didnthurt

I gave up after about only doing 1/3 of a tyre (all fingers and thumbs intact) it takes a surprisingly long time to do with a hacksaw blade

That motor cross tyre cutter looks just like a soldering iron, I already have a cheap one of those 🤔

singlespeedstu

I straight edge blade is quite effective if you wet the tyre and knife.
    Much quicker and less effort than a hacksaw.

qwerty
    Free Member

You need to use an angle grinder.

zerocool

what about a small dremmel!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Cutting new thread into an old tyre, will I die?’ is closed to new replies.