Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • custom wound fork springs……
  • lardman
    Free Member

I need to source a custom wound fork spring, and wondered if anyone could recommend somewhere?
    Most places do rear springs etc: Can’t seem to find a custom front.

It’s needed for two forks, as i’m a bit of a pie eater at 18st.

The first is for a 55Rc3 Ti. I don’t like the idea of heavily preloading the coil, or adding loads of air pre-load either, but i think they don’t do a firm spring. (Maybe i’m wrong?)

The second is for a marzocchi Z1 light, and although they did make one…. i cant find it anywhere now.

any ideas from the collective………?
    Ta.

lardman
    Free Member

bump for the evening crowd……?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Not a clue, unfortunately. Try just asking a few local engineering firms?

OTOH – I am not aware of any issues with using preload on coil forks that have that facility, it should be designed in.

Good luck sir.

Northwind

Preloading the spring is fine but doesn’t make it any stiffer- you can pile on preload to get the sag right but that doesn’t really help.

Maybe the titanium shock spring boy off pinkbike could help… He claims to be getting them custom made to spec, maybe he is and maybe he isn’t.

http://www.ti-springs.com/-Pre_Order_Ti_Springs_%28Made_To_Order%29/cat1892586_1768091.aspx

lardman
    Free Member

I guess the issue with pre-load is that it makes the first part of the fork travel less sensitive. It’s precisely that sensitivity i want to maintain, whilst running a spring that prevents frequent bottoming of the fork.

I think i’ll need that luck, or a diet……..

lardman
    Free Member

Thanks for the link Northwind…. but, it’s a fork spring i need. That link is only for rear shock springs.

Northwind

Aye, but if he can get one spring custom wound maybe he can do others, see?

lardman
    Free Member

worth an ask, for sure.

I’ll try.

LoCo
    Free Member

I was given details of a company fairly recently, drop me a mail and I’ll see if I can find a contact for you

lardman
    Free Member

mail on the way LoCo … cheers

mickolas
    Free Member
    stumpy01

As above. How about just a normal spring manufacturing company? Lee springs might be worth a try, although you will need to know exactly what you are after.

lardman
    Free Member

Ok, thanks for those suggestions people.
    Didn’t think about the ‘non-bike’ manufacturers option.

Not sure i’d know how to report the resistance (spinginess) reading of my current spring tho’!

hmmmmmm……..
    I think a celery only diet might be easier than this.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘custom wound fork springs……’ is closed to new replies.