Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Custom wheels on a budget
  • joebristol

So I can’t justify the money right at this second, but having seemingly successfully built some wheels myself for my hardtail it’s got me thinking about my fs.

It’s 160/160mm travel, with Yaris / deluxe rt3 suspension, Maxxis 3c tyres etc etc. 650b.

The only upgrades I can conceivably do which I’ll notice but don’t cost the world are upgrading the damper in the forks to a charger or yari-up and getting new wheels.

It’s currently got DT Swiss e1900’s on it, which are good solid wheels, but I could save a bit of weight and make the bike a bit livelier.

In an ideal world I’d buy some DT Swiss ex1501 but I won’t have the budget for that.

So wondering about using a similar rim – e.g. ex481 (30mm internal diameter) some double butted j bend spokes and a hub that’s as light as a DT Swiss 240 but a bit cheaper.

So what rim / hub options are people running / would you suggest?

joebristol

To add detail, the rear is boost 12×148 and the front is non boost 15×100

qwerty
    Free Member

Try looking here for cheaper DT Swiss rims:

https://www.starbike.com/en/dt-swiss-xm-481/

joebristol

Thanks – that site definitely has good prices on DT Swiss rims – as long as postage isn’t too high. Has quite a lot of hubs too – although not too many boost ones at the cheaper end of the scale.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

actionsports.de

Custom wheels. DT as well.

Thier own brand is “FunWorks” (which I use in connection of DT370 hubs. Rims I use: 25 mm and 35 mm internal)

riklegge

You could potentially look at the superstar hubs.

joebristol

The new v6 ones that aren’t out yet? I couldn’t see any of the others are available in boost for the rear hub.

Thinking about:

dt Swiss xm481 rims – as linked above for circa £70 each

Alpina double butted spokes from Cyclebasket – £0.45 per spoke

Hope Pro4 hubs – looks like you can shop around to get the rear for £136 Winstanleys / front £63 Wiggle.

Total cost something like £365

Plus tubeless tape and valves.

qwerty
    Free Member

Go to Rose bikes for spokes & nipples if you want DT Swiss.

joebristol

I think I looked at spokes from them and compared to cycle basket and went with the latter. The guy there was really helpful with working out spoke lengths and talking me through a few tips for wheel building as it was the first set I’ve built. Seems to have gone ok and now I’ve got the bug for building some more! 🤪

ta11pau1

What do the E1900’s weight? To save a couple of hundred grams to get something close to 1700g or less you’re probably looking at spending quite a few hundred quid.

Also hope Pro 4 hubs aren’t particularly light, 480g a pair Vs 380g for a pair of DT 240’s.

Have a look at Newmen hubs, 350g a pair and €394 euros, might be cheaper than DT Swiss. There CNC machined in Germany like Hope, and have a star ratchet system like DT Swiss.

With the hope hubs (480g), xm481 rims (980g) and spokes and nipples (330g) you’re looking at 1800g which I doubt is much lighter than your current wheels. According to the DT website your wheels are 1900g

joebristol

Had a quick look at Newman, thats probably a higher price than I want to pay. I think £200 is the top price for a pair of hubs – Hope is achievable in that and I know they’re decent quality. If I can find something comparable but lighter in that budget then I’ll be all over it.

sillyoldman

Nothing wrong with the hubs you have – just rebuild with DB spokes and the DT rim of your choice?

joebristol

Except I’d like to save some weight and get a quicker freewheel pickup to see what the fuss is about. I can also then sell my current wheels to offset some cost of the new ones.

nixie

Keep an eye out for second hand hubs. That will but the cost a fair amount.

joebristol

Good point – will check eBay etc when I have a bit of cash ready to spend. Are certain makes better for getting spare parts – e.g. DT Swiss / Hope etc?

joebristol

Reviving this thread, are there any other brands of rim I should be considering?

On the DT Swiss I’m thinking Xm481’s which are all mountain and just sub 500 grams but 30mm internal diameter. However it looks like they aren’t eyeletted and need special nipples.

Wtb / Spank / Easton / Stan’s equivalents? Sub 500 grams but 27-30mm internal diameter. Preferably £80 per rim or less. Tubeless ready clearly. Would like them to be at least as strong as the rims on my DT e1900’s. Probably 32 spokes.

Thinking I’ll buy some rims when I have the cash, then look at hub availability when I’ve saved some more. Interested in the new Superstar V6 hubs, waiting to see some more information on them etc.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Custom wheels on a budget’ is closed to new replies.