Custom steel frame builder

Home Forum Bike Forum Custom steel frame builder

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Custom steel frame builder
  • Premier Icon ton
    Subscriber

i have been down this road.
    it seems that custon frame builders in the uk have 1 or 2 jigs that cover the frames that they offer.
    if you want something away from the norm it is a nono.
    i contacted 2 well known frame builders in leeds to get some rigid 29r forks made out of 853 but fitted with braze ons for a front carrier.
    i was told they do not do forkblades in the length i wanted.

bonesetter

Oh dear

Brant was the guy I thought of, he’s working on just the HT geo I’m looking at, but I don’t think he does custom sizing

Quite a few out there who will do ti to whatever spec you ask for. Designers who will CAD them up and then get them built in either Russia or China

Premier Icon ton
    Subscriber

the guy in scotland is good i think.
    cant remember his name, someone on here as a frame in brown….

bonesetter

That’s a steel frame?

Did you get the lenz linky?

Premier Icon ton
    Subscriber

steel, yes. very nice too.
    yes i got the lenz link.
    was talking to the guy at zinn the other day. 😉

bonesetter

Jeesz! those Zinn’s are Lenz’s but 10x the price 😯

mcmoonter

Try Charles Ralph in Alves, Moray

Contact Charlie Ralph: Tel: 01343 860382 charlie.ralph@btinternet.com

I got one built around 1989. Still got it. Great frame builder. Just dont expect it next week!

robin mather?

Premier Icon ton
    Subscriber

bike was a SHAND…..

have a peek on here mate..
    http://www.framebuilding.com/custom_uk_bicycle_framebuilders.htm

and this is the bike

conker

bonesetter

Recommendations please

They seem a little thin on the ground…

Nicknoxx

+1 for Robin Mather

brant

http://www.18bikes.co.uk

I am making a bike for Tony at some point, but it’s all got a bit behind 🙁

Premier Icon ton
    Subscriber

😀 😀 8)

bonesetter

Woooha!

This is like white Chinese herion to a smack addict

Thanks for all the replies 🙂

WHat about that DemonFrameworks guy? His frames but all custom geometry?

If you want summink like this….

With brazing like this….

Let me know.

Oops, forgot to mention, he’s got a jig frame you can sit on & get it right.

Premier Icon funkynick
    Subscriber

Is Lee Cooper still making frames? He was the one who did the building for Solitude, when they were about, and I just love mine…

Have just done a search and he is… have a look here

Hi, thanks for the mention!

We will (at some point) be offering our own custom frames, made right here in the Peak District. Working mainly in Reynolds steel, kicking off with TIG welded hardtails, we will likely roll out to offer lugged and fillet work too. In terms of launch date, I don’t know at the mo. As soon as we can!

Jig wise, it’s an Anvil Journeyman, plenty of scope for tiny/massive/odd frames, there’s a few shots of it here

One big tube vise and angle plate

Cheers,
    Si

aP

Isn’t a shame that Andy Thompson stopped building frames just at the point at which people really started wanting them 🙁

Premier Icon singlespeedstu
    Subscriber

If I was after a new frame I’d be looking at a Wolfhound.

Wolfhound

aP

Do they now make 29er dog baskets?

Enigma
    They are a fantastic bunch and if the mountain bike frame is half as good as my elite road frame – you will be delighted – best steel frame i have ever set my eyes on, full custom build and cheap prices for what it is – think its about £800 ish
    bargain
    personal service
    you talk to jim or mark (mark builds the frames) and talk through everything
    my recommendation fwiw

Premier Icon Clink
    Subscriber

http://shandcycles.bigcartel.comShand is in Scotland – very helpful whem I spoke to him last year.

Premier Icon edd
    Subscriber

Independent Fabrication

…and from this mornings ride:

Premier Icon paulosoxo
    Subscriber

Ton, how tall are you?

Joxster

mcmoonter – Member

Try Charles Ralph in Alves, Moray

Contact Charlie Ralph: Tel: 01343 860382 charlie.ralph@btinternet.com

I got one built around 1989. Still got it. Great frame builder. Just dont expect it next week!

Is Charles still building? He built my Kilo bike for the Olympics.

Another good builder is Doug Pinkerton, he’s built quit a lot for the Para Olympics.

REDDITCH, WORCSTERSHIRE AREA
    07778 429313

MrSmith

surely if you go custom you shouldn’t need more than 1 or 2 spacers and such a long seatpost?

Premier Icon edd
    Subscriber

MrSmith – Long seatpost was deliberate – I’ve got very short legs so needed a very sloping top tube. No water bottle bosses on the seat-tube means that I can drop it all the way down.

I’ve now got a stem with some rise and greater stack height and 10mm of spacers below the stem, the photo was at the try some stems and spacer arrangements and see how it works out.

The other problem was that we had to keep the head-tube relatively short in order to maintain stand over height, the old short legs thing again…

MrSmith

short legs!? it’s a miracle your feet touch the pedals with the saddle at that height.

wellhung

Is Charles still building? He built my Kilo bike for the Olympics.

Another good builder is Doug Pinkerton, he’s built quit a lot for the Para Olympics.

REDDITCH, WORCSTERSHIRE AREA
    07778 429313

Also a demon Pennyfarthing racer

CountZero

IIRC Rob Mather isn’t taking orders at the mo’, but that could have changed. Worth contacting him to find out. There’s also Curtis bikes, they do custom builds in Reynolds, including 853.

With brazing like this….

You sure those tubes are brazed?

colnagokid

just been looking on Yatesies site reminiscing about me old custom Diablo. Magic that old bike was

You sure those tubes are brazed?

Er…yes. Why? what did you think? Glued or something. I’ve had it 12 years & bits have been replaced/changed. So yes, it’s brazed.
    I’m a bit confused as to why you asked actually.

tomlevell

i contacted 2 well known frame builders in leeds to get some rigid 29r forks made out of 853 but fitted with braze ons for a front carrier.
    i was told they do not do forkblades in the length i wanted.

That’s probably because they don’t!

Chas Roberts
    Bob Jackson
    Lot’s of other roadie based builders who I’ve never heard of and all of the above.

brant

just been looking on Yatesies site reminiscing about me old custom Diablo. Magic that old bike was

Aye, G, but I’d still love a Fleet done by Kev.

swamp_boy

Argos cycles in Bristol build frames to order as well as repairs, resprays etc. I can’t say how good they are at designing them, but the workmanship is pretty good, they put a rear disc mount and brace on my frame and the joins don’t show, it looks like it was made that way.

Brant, is that Kev Winter your’e on about? He built mine when he was at Fleet Engineers. Last I heard he was building for Donohues’s in Bishop Auckland, but that was a bit since.

brant

Brant, is that Kev Winter your’e on about? He built mine when he was at Fleet Engineers. Last I heard he was building for Donohues’s in Bishop Auckland, but that was a bit since.

Yeah. Really love his work.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/demon-frameworks-new-frames-first-look

Demon Frameworks – Anything you want and pretty to boot – check out the pics in the thread above.

Lovely guy too 🙂

bonesetter

I phoned around quite a few builders, both here and in the US and the one I made best/easiest contact with was Justin Burls.

All the others either away on holiday, didn’t return messages, emails, or did not do custom builds, or were too expensive – which is most of the US frame builders.

The Wolfhound (US) looks brilliant but would work out to close on £2K – for a steel frame!

So, Burls has supplied a few ti 29er’s although his main thing now is ti road frames, all made in Russia.

Here is a drawing he has made

Since then I am leaning to the side of steel as I think this might be the the material with the most compliance and alive feel – more soul

I have found a local frame builder looking into a similar full Reynolds 853 design…

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Custom steel frame builder’ is closed to new replies.