• This topic has 14 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by jkomo.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Cushcore for BPW?
  • TheGhost
    Free Member

How rocky is BPW? Shall I take my Cushcore wheels?

nickjb
    Free Member

Not very rocky. There’s a few rocky patches and a specific rocky trail (“Rim Dinger”) but it’s mostly hard pack, berms, jumps, drops and swoopy bits

Trimix
    Free Member

Even Rim Dinger is OK to be honest. I’ve ridden there on 18psi and I’m fat and clumsy. Single ply tyres were fine.

oikeith

Cushcore might help with arm pump or fatigue over the course of the day, the runs are long and bumpy.

argee

If you’re uplifting then the weight penalty isn’t an issue, might as well go for the wheels you like best, also depends what you do, even rim dinger is pretty simple if you aren’t hammering it down.

If you are into the big tabletops and jumps, then heavy landings might make them a better choice, but even then, i find i just have spare stuff in the car as it’s an easy place to switch wheels or the likes if i need to.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Is the uplift running now then?

argee

Later this month i believe, it’s still closed to all until then though

dc1988

I’d be adding a few psi to ride a bike park either way so the cushcore might not even be necessary.

matt_outandabout

I found it fine on a HT without inserts, and I am a hefalump in size these days.

If you have the choice of taking wheels with inserts, I probably would ‘in case’.

Even Rim Dinger is OK to be honest. I’ve ridden there on 18psi and I’m fat and clumsy. Single ply tyres were fine.

I would say the same. Rim dinger was the only place I had to slow down to preserve my rims, and I was on relatively light tyres (Goma’s).

jkomo

Nah, I run 20psi and I weigh a ton, never broken a rim. However, my rear wheel is a funny shape.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Whilst Rim dinger is a great trail, I found its rockiness to be greatly overstated.

I think it says more about todays flow riders than it does the trail.

Northwind

I think Rim Dinger might have been tamed a bit since opening, whether naturally or by the builders, it used to have some really awkward “hard edge in a bad place” stuff which I don’t remember on more recent visits. Deep Navigation is pretty lumpy-rock but not so much sharp edges. There’s a couple of places that you can definitely clumsily drop onto an ugly rock, but for sure they’ve gradually removed a lot of those (the one that broke my rim on one of the reds is gone, I guess I wasn’t the only person to stupidly hit that one)

TBH I think Cushcore’s about as good an idea as it is basically everywhere, don’t think about it as a BPW thing, it might be good for you all the time and if it’s not then it’s probably not good for you there.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Whilst Rim dinger is a great trail, I found its rockiness to be greatly overstated.

Yeah. Deep Navigation and Zut Alors had the most rugged rock gardens from what I remember. I think the lower section of Watts Occurring (had low expectations but it is pretty good) is rougher than Rim Dinger, although I did it last and could hardly hold on to the bars by then!

If you’re running decent carcass tyres and not stupid low pressures you will be fine without inserts. Obviously with it being mainly hard packed and there being jumps and stuff you could do with clearing, running slightly higher tyre pressures and stiffer suspension is a must IMO.

peter1979
    Free Member

Rim dinger, deep navigation, pork belly, Coal not dole, 50 shades, hot stepper, watts occurring, top of wibbly wobbly are all pretty rocky. If you’ve got cush core and using an uplift why not use it?
    But saying that, I run single ply tyres and have only had maybe 20 punctures there. In 10 rides. 😆

jkomo

I’ve never used rim protection, but am taking delivery of a posh set of carbon wheels, so I’m thinking I might give it a go.
    Is cushcore the go to one?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Cushcore for BPW?’ is closed to new replies.