Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Current state of play with Reverb warranty
  • submarined
    Free Member

My circa 14 month old Reverb has developed about 5mm of sag when I put weight on it.

Anyone know if RS are still just replacing them? I’ve heard tales that they’ve cracked down on warranties, and are demanding that the post has been serviced according to a schedule before they’ll even look at it.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I had mine warrantied earlier this year without a problem.

Have you checked the air pressure?

JackHammer

Or send it for a service?

submarined
    Free Member

Yeah, air pressure seemed fine. A smidge under 250.

Or send it for a service

At the risk of being an arse, if it hasn’t passed what I believe is the 100hrs service interval, why should I pay to have it fixed when it has failed? It’s had little use, probably less than 200 miles. Now, I know I’m slow an’ all, but…

carlos
    Free Member

Yeah, apparently it has to have a receipt as proof of purchase and iirc ideally sent back through the shop it was bought from. From what I’ve heard if you’ve no receipt or proof of purchase there’s a flat rate charge, but not sure what that is. Could be £50 could be £100

Best option would be to take it back to where you got it from or as above send it in for a service

Carlos

JackHammer

If it’s still in warranty send it in, and more to the point if it’s inside the service interval what are you worried about? Send it in, the worst they’ll do is say “it’s not warranty, it’ll cost £xx to fix or we can send it back to you broken”.

submarined
    Free Member

It was part of a complete bike, so I’ve contacted the vendor. I’m happy to send it back via them 🙂

If it’s still in warranty send it in, and more to the point if it’s inside the service interval what are you worried about? Send it in, the worst they’ll do is say “it’s not warranty, it’ll cost £xx to fix or we can send it back to you broken”.

Just curious to know what experience others have had recently before the process gets underway (while I’m waiting to hear back from the vendor), that’s all, no biggie 🙂

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

Sag = air past the IFP = not related to regular servicing. (Think of it as a damper service in a shock/forks vs a lowers/wiper seal service).

I warrantied mine last month for the same issue. They fix them now rather than replacing, took 1.5 weeks all in.

submarined
    Free Member

Heard back from the bike vendor. Apparently <10mm movement is within tolerances…

DickBarton

Get it serviced if the sag bothers you…I got mine done and it fixed it and hasn’t returned (yet)…that was after Sram were sent it and they sent it back saying nothing wrong with it.

teethgrinder

The vendor is being a dick. Name and shame.

Northwind

I got a new one, then the second time I got a refund. Then i bought a new one for less than the refund value, with a new warranty.

10mm is not within tolerances. In fact 0 is within tolerance, for up and down. It’s the classic IFP fault, known issue, tell him to stop pissing about.

Irony is, it’s actually really pretty easy to fix the IFP leakage- or at least to get rid of the sag and reset it.

sillysilly
    Free Member

LBS sent mine off expecting a replacement recently, SRAM fixed it but demanded the original receipt for a FOC fix on a 10mm sag. A receipt for a bike purchased elsewhere was fine. I think this is a reasonable request from SRAM, otherwise they will be hit by eBay bandits buying broken items.

scc999

I’ve just been told that without proof that the post has been serviced SRAM wont entertain a warranty on a sagging post any more.

At roughly £100 to service it (including postage there and back) it’s cheaper to buy a replacement assuming it lasts 200 hours before becoming useless. Can probably then sell on as “spares or repair” so making it even cheaper.

However, I really don’t want to do that, it’s wasteful.

So, do I pay for it to be serviced and hope it doesn’t fail again soon?
    Service it myself (and hope that I don’t screw it up and that the service fixes it)?
    Ride it until it’s unusable whilst saving up for a different post?

Si

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Mate of mine does complete service on them, all parts included, for 40 quid. It’s 25 to buy the parts alone IIRC, but it’s just a wee sideline for him, so he’s quite happy to makes small margin.

Pm me if you want his number, fresh suspension based in Troon.

scc999

PM sent.
    Shame he’s not in Southeast London / North Kent!!

joemmo
    Free Member

interesting to read this… my 150 Reverb stealth (b2) has about 3-4mm of compression after 5 months. This weekend was the first time I actually noticed it while riding, partly because of the clunk. I wondering whether to suffer it a bit longer then look for a warranty replacement or deal with it now

scc999

I’d recommend getting SRAM to warranty it now if you can. The longer you leave it the better the odds that they will demand it is serviced (even though the sag issues isn’t due to wear and tear).

Just my 2p.

joemmo
    Free Member

cheers, that would make sense. What a pain

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Current state of play with Reverb warranty’ is closed to new replies.