• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by mefty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Crossword or Sudoku?
  • RustySpanner

Or are you one of those perverts who like both?

Mrs S loves Sudoku – I can see the appeal, but, well they’re all a bit samey, aren’t they?

Much prefer a decent crossy – the prize general knowledge in the Torygraph on Saturday for preference.
    i, Indy or Grauniad during the week.

What’s your poison?

nickjb
    Free Member

Sudoku is handy for when you get stuck on the crossword and fancy giving your brain a rest.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Telegraph and Times cryptic and occasionally dip into the Graun cryptic online.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

When I was wasting my years at university, I became a dab hand at the Irish Times cryptic (v similar to The Times) and used to breeze through the Torygraph, which is only semi-cryptic at best. Observer Everyman was quite fun, and briefly got into the Guardian one, but never really mastered it, or got used to the different setters’ styles. These days, I don’t do any, but if I want to bullshit up my prowess online, then I say I do the Guardian one.

Tis funny, how once you get really into cryptics, a definition crossword (i.e. mostly one word clues) can leave you a bit lost. They often require more lateral thinking than cryptics.

chvck
    Free Member

Sudoku for me, but I’m more of a numbers person than words. I’m not sure that makes sense!

tang
    Free Member

Crossword. Guardian quick on tea break, quiet ‘sit down’ later with the cryptic if I have time.

fasthaggis

Sudoku for me,use it to unwind .
    Share the crosswords with OH,we do better as a team 🙂

RustySpanner

Observer Everyman was quite fun, and briefly got into the Guardian one, but never really mastered it, or got used to the different setters’ styles. These days, I don’t do any, but if I want to bullshit up my prowess online, then I say I do the Guardian one.

I used to like the Graun cryptic a while back, but I find it virtually impossible these days.
    My linguistic prowess has all but disappeared since I stopped working in an office, tbh.
    🙂

Tis funny, how once you get really into cryptics, a definition crossword (i.e. mostly one word clues) can leave you a bit lost. They often require more lateral thinking than cryptics.

The ‘i’ and Indy concise used to be a nightmare for this – many of the synonyms are very sneaky indeed.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ah yes, “concise” was the more correct term I was looking for. Just shows how shite I’d be now. 🙂

nickc

2048?

I’ve a game up in the millions that I’ve not touched for a while, because if I don’t spawn a 4 it’s goin dannnnn 😯

andytherocketeer

cryptic crossword.

sudoku isn’t really a number thing, but just uses numbers as a convenient way of having 9 “things”. could have 9 symbols or 9 pictures if you wanted.

nickjb
    Free Member

sudoku isn’t really a number thing, but just uses numbers as a convenient way of having 9 “things”. could have 9 symbols or 9 pictures if you wanted

Like this:

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Times cryptic is an institution here.

http://times-xwd-times.livejournal.com is a great help for the afflicted.

aracer
    Free Member

Yep, which is why I stopped doing them. Kind of like doing the Rubiks cube – you follow a basic set of rules and get the answer which gets boring.

I should have another go at crosswords – mum does them, and I probably ought to be good at them, but have never really worked out the technique required.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Am philistine so Whirlyword

mefty
    Free Member

Never managed to get into the Times cryptic despite my father’s best efforts, he used to complete it during the evening news and weather, which in those days lasted 20 mins.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Crossword or Sudoku?’ is closed to new replies.