Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Cross or TTs which are more likely to have some sort of season this year?
  • kelvinshuffle
    Free Member

So I’d quite like to have some sort of “target” for my indoor training and post lockdown bike window shopping but torn between thinking about TTs vs Cross.

All things being equal, which do you think is more likely to get some sort of season in?

Obviously cross is usually later in the year, so that’ll help but TTs not being mass start have that in their favour.

What’d you collectively reckon?

TiRed

Central League CX have cancelled the season. I don’t think there will be any TTs either.

convert

Closest I think you’ll get is KOM hunting on Strava of Zwifting this year.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

TT is more likely than CX as you are naturally separated by its nature, Howe we I doubt either

13thfloormonk

Scottish CX Season cancelled also ☹

Am aiming for the Raid Pyrenean next year instead, base miles and strengthening till the winter, turbo and maybe fortnightly CX ‘keeping in practice’ rides through winter, then start ramping up distance and hills through spring and summer.

reluctantjumper

The issue won’t be the TT racing, it’ll be the support crew at the start and end. Anything that involves a small gathering of people (say 10+) that is of a non-essential nature (sport) won’t be happening for a long time.

aP
    Free Member

Cross by its nature means that distancing can’t be practiced. I’m surprised that no one has come up with CX-TT’s. As long as the approach to the start and exit from the finish is properly managed it should be possible to run at least some limited form of individual racing.

ferrals
    Free Member

@aP I was thinking the same. At least no-one is suggesting Zwift-CX 🙂

Also the Cx season has been drifting earlier and earlier; I guess we could ahve a few races in Jan and Feb if things go well.

Otherwise, from a TT perspective, hill climb TT season being a bit later may happen?

whytetrash

Cross better happen, or these lockdown miles are a waste of time… I race in the North Wales league and it will hopefully be my first season in the over 50’s… fingers crossed

tomd
    Free Member
    Garry_Lager

You could run a complete socially distanced TT in terms of the actual event. No push off, timekeeper well back, e-sign on, done. Just the before and after riders congregating in a car park getting changed couldn’t happen.

Might suit a club event where everyone rides to the event in kit. But then you can’t have those on winter evenings.

TiRed

No push off

What’s a push off? You don’t need to trackstand a trike 😉

kelvinshuffle
    Free Member

I like the idea of CX TT I reckon that would fall nicely for me fitness/skills wise as well!

I do wonder if instead of proper TTs we’ll see more “Here’s a strava segment, everyone ride it today whenever you like and see who gets the best time”

tpbiker
    Free Member

I was hoping some kind off club tt events would be running. As has been said, maybe avoid the sign on element at the start bit other than that can’t see much risk.

alwillis

We are already using the strive segment approach- create a few 10 mile TT suitable segments and all ride them over a day or so (some on winter bikes, some on full TT rigs) and compare. Just a bit of fun between mates really, it keeps everyone training!

Garry_Lager

What’s a push off? You don’t need to trackstand a trike

Would break social distance regs when you turn at the roundabout, Tired, and the entire field catches you up 🙂

ferrals
    Free Member

Welsh cycling have announced they hope to run a CX season, probably starting in mid-november and lasting to Feb; but with fewer events than a normal season.

I think there will be a lot of hurdles to overcome (pun intended) with people’s perception of safety since events rely on volunteers but hopefully there will be some races

jonba
    Free Member

I am thinking about CX TTs but I’m not sure they’ll really work. You’d need a long course as <10min laps would make for a short race. Multiple laps would limit people on the course. My league is still undecided. TLI official recommendation is cancel events and unlikely to allow anything this year. But if there is demand and willing organisers a new year season isn’t out of the question.

By the time we are allowed to run events again we’ll be at the very back end of the TT season. There might be some hill climbs but realistically in the NE of England running TTs in October could be a disaster weather wise so there would eb about a month to do it.

There’s quite a lot to consider as an organiser. It has always been a hard job and now it is even more so. There is the governing body approval that is needed to say go ahead. There will likely be council and police requests required – where new anti covid measures will be required. There’s a need for race volunteers who might not be as forthcoming in current circumstances. I’m leaning towards it being too much personal hassle and cancelling until there is more certainty and we have proper time to plan.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed I’ll have a job in July. I’m going to keep riding my bike and taking KOMs. But racing wise I’ve come to terms with it being 2021 until I pin a number on again.

trailwagger
    Free Member

If 22 men are allowed to run around together chasing a small round ball I don’t see why TTs shouldn’t be allowed.

TiRed

We run one of the biggest central league events. The number and density of people means that it is an easy choice to not run these events. It’s not the distancing on the course, it’s the huge number of people coming and going during the event. Sorry.

As for TTs, some suggestion of local club TTs might be ok, but not opens due to travel. For open events, I’ll typically drive up to 100 miles, perhaps stay overnight. That’s not going to happen this year.

BC have an update on racing. They’re suggesting the same. Local events to limit travel.

kilo

I think the prospect of even regional BC road racing anytime soon, (this year) with a complete lack of social distancing in a peleton and the usual 4th cat crash-fests is pretty fanciful

footflaps

You could run a complete socially distanced TT in terms of the actual event.

I’m suprised they aren’t already doing this, would be quite easy to keep everyone apart.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

While it would be tricky to get entrants setting off ~2mins apart for more similar weather and daylight conditions, I don’t see why you couldn’t have TT and hill climb comps going where you spread the start time over a longer period, perhaps even a few days.

kilo

I believe CTT have said any tt’s run at present will result in bans for competitors and the possible removal of the course from the approved regional lists.

TiRed

And every decent CTT course is a Strava segment. So off you go. Some clubs have these as their Club 10s already. Ok it’s not the same, but virtual TTs on the road is possible.

Garry_Lager

I’m suprised they aren’t already doing this, would be quite easy to keep everyone apart.

It’s likely far more of a political consideration, rather than a pratical one – you could run a covid-compliant TT tomorrow in terms of the technicalities. I mean the golf clubs are bouncing, and what is golf but a perverted form of time trial?

But the CTT has a lot to consider in terms of the perception of the sport – sharing the ‘race track’ with cars is something not all cycling disciplines contend with and it’s a big deal, plus balancing the views and attitudes of the riders which are highly polarised right now, at least from what I see on some TT discussion groups.
    You have (often younger) guys saying WTF is the delay, let’s get the show on the road, and older voices saying it’s basically an affront to common decency to be even discussing racing in the current climate.

kcr
    Free Member

I don’t see why you couldn’t have TT and hill climb comps going where you spread the start time over a longer period, perhaps even a few days.

There’s a lot of volunteer effort that goes into running a TT. Would you really expect people to give up more of their time for that? Running a TT over days is completely impractical.

Suggesting that TTs can be run because the individual entrants are socially distanced while riding ignores all the other activity that is involved in a race (setting up, people travelling to and from the event, running the admin, etc, etc). Lots of non essential travel and potential contact between people.
    I think it is unlikely racing of any sort will take place this year.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’m talking about adapting to the pandemic situation, where previous organisation would need changing, I’m not expecting volunteers to be camped out on the course for days! Strava segments for the timing (including proof of starting from a standstill), maybe webcams and/or camera shot at start and finish etc.

It would give the “racers” something to focus on, even if results didn’t attract the normal BC points.

hjghg5
    Free Member

I am due to organise a TT in early august and am fairly sure that I will cancel. Although the racing part is low risk, I don’t want to put volunteers at risk, and for a 50 miler it’s a significant commitment for people who help out. Not to mention that last year I got a fair amount of hassle from locals about people parking in their village near HQ. No-one parked illegally, the start itself was outside the village and no one was racing through the village so last year I was happy to deal with it as mainly nimbyism but in the current circumstances I’m not prepared to risk the club/sport’s reputation.

Particularly if there is no HQ and all the riders pee in bushes…

trailwagger
    Free Member

We have a local Strava TT club that has popped up recently. They publish a 10mile TT course. You get a week to ride it, and can have as many goes as you like. Results get posted.

Seems reasonable.

ferrals
    Free Member

There’s quite a lot to consider as an organiser. It has always been a hard job and now it is even more so. There is the governing body approval that is needed to say go ahead. There will likely be council and police requests required – where new anti covid measures will be required. There’s a need for race volunteers who might not be as forthcoming in current circumstances. I’m leaning towards it being too much personal hassle and cancelling until there is more certainty and we have proper time to plan.

Yes there’s a lot to think about. Our existing first aid group aren’t keen and I imagine all are similar so that might prevent races going ahead even if other things line up. I’d contacted the council but hadnt thought about if you’d have to contact the police too.

The other concern is financial, we more or less break even with a cake stall but I think a cake stall won’t be allowed and if there is the perception of risk there could be a low turn-out; this would mean running at a loss. Also who fits the bill if a club has invested in venue hire fees etc. then there is a spike in autumn/winter and we are back in lockdown with no racing.

I think it’s still a case of wait and see.

footflaps

You have (often younger) guys saying WTF is the delay, let’s get the show on the road, and older voices saying it’s basically an affront to common decency to be even discussing racing in the current climate.

Reminds me why I’m not a memeber of any cycling clubs!

kelvinshuffle
    Free Member

Little bit of an update from CTT

We’re receiving an increasing number of enquiries about when it will be possible to start events once more.

Many will have seen that British Cycling issued a release yesterday in which it was said that for international and national level races, including national series and championships, the suspension of events was extended until 01 September 2020, and that for regional racing the suspension of events was extended until 01 August 2020. The Board of CTT consider that by its very nature time trialling is different to road racing and consequently for time trials it will be easier to accommodate the government’s guidelines on the measures that need to be put in place to help control the spread of COVID-19 and in particular the requirement for social distancing.

We’re hoping that it will be possible for events to take place, perhaps initially in some limited form, in the not too distant future. We understand that the government is looking at ways outdoor sport and social activity can resume once more, although currently we don’t know when that will be. Presently all CTT events are suspended up to and including 30 June. There is to be further government guidance announced on Monday next week, 01 June, and it is anticipated that a further CTT release will be issued shortly after. Plans are being put in place so once we’re able to, we can start events once more and guidance will be given to all clubs and CTT districts in good time to allow this to happen.

aP
    Free Member

CTT are wrong. They should just forget 2020

trail_rat
    Free Member

Think the CTT are delusional.

A quick tot up of the qualified commissares and time keepers they insist on for insurance purposes will be the restriction not the nature of the event.

Those that are not shielding will be under a fair amount of demand.

Not to mention locals pissed at folk being encouraged to travel into their local area.

kcr
    Free Member

Reminds me why I’m not a memeber of any cycling clubs!

What do arguments on TT discussion groups have to do with membership of cycling clubs?

crazy-legs

Several CX leagues have cancelled already; the issue isn’t so much social distancing (although that’s obviously part of it), it’s the fact that venues are not “open” for hire plus the overall perception of it.

There’s also the huge hassle of opening up for entries, taking a load of money and then simply having to give it all back if/when the ban on racing is extended. That’s why Three Peaks has cancelled now – entries were due to open on 1st June but the hassle and stress of opening for entries, sorting/accepting the field only to have it all pulled from under you isn’t worth the risk.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

A quick tot up of the qualified commissares and time keepers they insist on for insurance purposes will be the restriction not the nature of the event.

Maybe, but will that stop club TT’s run by a couple of people with high vis, stopwatch and a clipboard?

In the absence of a second wave I reckon by September things will be considerably more normal. A fortnight ago we were arguing whether a ride over an hour was morally right, and should it cross the borders. This week Boris officially launched BBQ season as long as there’s less than 6 of you.

ferrals
    Free Member

it’s the fact that venues are not “open” for hire

We’ve had to cancel ours due to an event clash (hope to find another date but not rushing to book till we see how covid progresses), but surprisingly the council were still happy for the event to go ahead so long as we had social distancing protocols in place.

However its dubious whether you could enforce social distancing mid-race, I’m sure I’ve been less than 2m from another competitor for over 15 minutes many times in a close cx battle.

Would it even be fun? Not just the racing, if you can’t stand around chatting and heckling before/after, you lose a big part of the day

footflaps

Not to mention locals pissed at folk being encouraged to travel into their local area.

Currently all our local TT courses have more cyclists than usual due to the lack of cars and the huge rise in popularity of cycling. Resuming TTs wouldn’t make a lot of difference.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Cross or TTs which are more likely to have some sort of season this year?’ is closed to new replies.