Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Cross or TTs which are more likely to have some sort of season this year?
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

There couple well be another reason for not wanting an influx of 80odd folk from outside (in some cases well outside) your local area arriving at your village.

Can’t imagine what….. It’s not the bicycle.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Agreed.

But a Tuesday night club time trial isn’t that. The only change you would need to meet the letter of the law is change having a starter to having to start with your foot down. Allow online signup and allocate start times in advance so people only need to arrive at the layby with enough time to roll to the line, put a foot down and off they go and it’s sussed.

Or as others have said, do away with the organisation all together and just give a 2h window and rely on STRAVA.

It’s not like TTing doesn’t have a history of stretching the rules! Could go back to the “no logos” rule to go with the secret course names!

kcr
    Free Member

Allow online signup and allocate start times in advance so people only need to arrive at the layby with enough time to roll to the line, put a foot down and off they go and it’s sussed.

I can’t see how you can do it. You’re not going to be exempt from the normal risk assessment and mitigation, which means marshals, signage, etc, even for a club event. I wouldn’t be surprised if insurance requirements change under the current situation. Running any sort of event will involve unnecessary movement and activity, and raise the risk of mingling. It’s unrealistic to think people will just smoothly arrive at the last minute and immediately depart in an orderly distanced fashion.

Having said that, I don’t think you should be opening up golf clubs either.

I think people can simply compare times on Strava if they are really desperate to compete just now, no special arrangements required.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Depends if it’s a Mickey mouse operation or not.

Our midweek league time trials were reaching 80 and coming from all over the shire.

More than that you sure a **** don’t want to end up uninsured. One of our lads hit an open van door last year. Made an awful mess and alot of paperwork.

While the competitor may see two folk with clipboard and clocks even at a simple club TT assuming it’s a decent sized club there’s alot going on in the background to make it happen

Being responsible we have done our racing and our group rides on zwift. It’s been working really well. I predict a really good set up for training next year that doesnt involve transporting you your bike and your turbo to a village hall somewhere where someone shouts at you. It’s basically the working from home of turbo class training .

kcr
    Free Member

I’d be surprised if anyone was organising club events these days without some form of insurance. Our club switched to running the club TTs under CTT (like many other Scottish clubs) because of the costs and restrictions of operating via BC levies and insurance (e.g. BC wouldn’t allow visitors to ride club confined events). I believe there is still insurance cover under CTT.
    Forget about cycling, no one really runs any sort of formally organised event these days without appropriate liability cover, or some sort of waiver.

ferrals
    Free Member

Another CX league has said no racing this season: Western league also cancelled.

daern
    Free Member

Another CX league has said no racing this season: Western league also cancelled.

Yorkshire too, a couple of weeks ago, although they are still hoping to run a handful of non-league races if it’s at all possible.

In theory, TT should be easier but, at our club at least, the people that run TT events are mostly at the older-end of the membership spectrum and I’m sure this may have additional impact in getting events up and running.

TBH, I’m not anticipating any racing in 2020 and am enjoying a bit of time away from the youth racing circus just riding bikes with my son. It’s not all bad!

pdw
    Free Member

On the plus side, TTs are hopefully restarting in the 2nd week of July, subject to final approval, and of course additional risk assessment.

Allow online signup and allocate start times in advance so people only need to arrive at the layby with enough time to roll to the line, put a foot down and off they go and it’s sussed.

This isn’t far off what’s going to happen, but the TTs need to be run under CTT (or BC) rules or you’re not insured, and currently CTT say “no races”.

CTT are, quite rightly, consisdering not just the legal and technical issues of running socially-distanced TTs, but also the public perception of seeing such events.

Garry_Lager

My local district (Manchester) decided not to run any TTs July Aug, other districts may go ahead next month depending on govt guidelines – I’d guess a small minority will do this but let’s see.

I’ll try to take the TT bike out for at least a couple of spins on our ten course on my own, just to see if all this zwift racing means anything, but basically that’s it for testing 2020 for me.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Cross or TTs which are more likely to have some sort of season this year?’ is closed to new replies.