Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Crispy Bacon 1 – Cancer 0
  • crispybacon
    Free Member

On 15th April 2009 I was diagnosed with skin Cancer after having a mole removed from my shoulder which was later found to be a malignant melanoma & so my Cancer journey began.

Since my diagnosis I have had another operation to harvest any residual cancerous cells resulting in a superb long zig-zag scar & over 60+ stitches (chicks dig scars). I have also had regular check ups to monitor the situation. The journey has not been without some extremely stressful & very dark times but I have been blessed with having a great team who have been there for me to explain that these feelings/emotions are normal. They have listened, sympathised & counselled me to a better place and I would like to publically thank all those individuals who have helped me on my long journey over the years, sadly not all of my team are here today to share this moment.

Let my story be a lesson to all my STW friends. Please be very careful out in the Sun, do not get sun burnt, cover up, wear a hat & use a high SPF sun screen. If you have any irregular shaped moles, flaky/itchy moles or moles that bleed, please FFS tell your Doctor & get them checked out. I was very fortunate that my Cancer was diagnosed at an early stage & was treatable without the need for Chemo &/or Radiotherapy.

Today 15th April 2014 I had my 16th & final check up and I am now 5 years into remission and more importantly I have now been given the ALL CLEAR!!!

neilthewheel

Delighted to hear you are out of the woods and thanks for the sound advice.

Legoman
    Free Member

Congratulations mate – crack open the bubbly, you deserve it!
    Good advice too.

Bunnyhop

Great news 🙂

Yours are wise words. I’m forever slapping the factor 50 on, however you just can’t tell some folk.

cranberry
    Free Member

Congratulations. Cancer is a complete **** and anyone who beats it is a star.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Nice to read something positive on here for a change. Great news.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

This is excellent news! Good for you!

However, I can’t help but feel a bit disappointed. Reading the title without referencing the OP’s name, I had rather hoped that this was confirmation by science that bacon cures cancer. 😉

rickmeister

Well done and a great result… chapeau to everyone that kicks cancers *rse….

vickypea
    Free Member

Wonderful news 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

Well done, but for just a moment, I thought your thread title was a prescription. Eat lots of well done bacon and never get cancer. Really got my hopes up.

KonaTC

😀 Cancer is s#ite

julianwilson
    Free Member

Great news Les 😀

MussEd
    Free Member

Superb Mate, good on you fella!

but for just a moment, I thought your thread title was a prescription. Eat lots of well done bacon and never get cancer. Really got my hopes up.

me too…

MoreCashThanDash

Spent a dreadful Christmas a few years back awaiting test results on some of my mole collection. I was lucky, but was so **** scared.

Which reminds me, I need to dig out the lovely photos of my mole covered body for my 6 monthly “That one’s not changed, that’s OK, wtf did that come from, oh it’s OK it’s on this photo….” session in front of the mirror

scaredypants

Good work crispy !

(for those with kids, or who look after them – there’s a strong correlation for sunBURN as a child and melanoma, so keep ’em out of strong sunshine)

leffeboy

takes note and applauds

grtdkad

Star, great news.

crispybacon
    Free Member

Thanks for the support & i hope that everyone takes care in the sunny weather B-)

meehaja
    Free Member

Yeah, been there, though your scar sounds more awesome than mine! Still, frightening times and good to hear your clear. I find bbq’d bacon good.

teasel
    Free Member

Nice one, Crispy.

You make me feel all good inside…and hungry…

Pigface
    Free Member

Great news Bacon, good luck in the future

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

nice one crispy bacon been there too had a mole removed from left leg and then back in 5weeks later to have more flesh removed + skin graft and apart from graft failing which i then choose to leave to heal by itself which has left me with a big scar(looks like gunshot wound so quite cool)its all been good been clear 5+3 years 😀

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Congratulations!

However I am slightly disappointed that this wasn’t a topic about how research has proven well cooked bacon products prevent / cure cancer.

robdob
    Free Member

Great news! Always nice to hear.

I think we need to do extensive testing on this bacon cure. I am personally going to easy crispy bacon on a regular basis now just in case it works!!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Great News!! Very happy for you and your family.

Just shows “Cancer is a Word not a Sentence”

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Nice one sir!

Currently on holiday in the USA, and the number of crispy people around is frightening. We’ve all got our hats, plus factor 50 sunblock, and are still pasty white 🙂

I’m the one in Endura shorts and an On-One t-shirt (a walking STW cliche)

andywill

Great news Crispy :-).

weeksy

Congratulations 🙂 Well done indeed !

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Brilliant news.
    Great to hear you got the All Clear.
    🙂
    It’s so easy to put on sunscreen it’s madness not to do so.

As someone who’s moleier than field full of moles I’ve had one removed and half a dozen are being watched just in case they get any ideas.

busydog
    Free Member

found to be a malignant melanoma

10 years ago, I was diagnosed with a melanoma on the middle of my back–same big zig/zag scar and about 60-70 stitches like Crispy. This past February, found another one on my shoulder, but caught early and was classed “in situ” so just on the surface. Had that carved off. Now back to seeing the dermatologist every 6 months.

Mine the result of practically being outside in the sun all the time as a kid–we didn’t even know what sunscreen was. Follow that by the last 40 years living in the desert Southwest US—so can’t say I was all that surprised knowing what I know now.

Like others have said above, really pay close attention to anything that looks unusual on your skin and don’t let it go–along with always using strong sunscreen.

taxi25
    Free Member

Great news crispy 😀 . But sorry good advise or not I won’t spend the rest of my life hiding from the sun.

bullheart
    Free Member

I expected nothing less, old friend…

singlespeedstu

Les.
    Great news.
    Maybe we will catch up for a ride round your neck of the woods afterall.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Good news mate, another vote for Factor 50 here.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Crispy Bacon 1 – Cancer 0’ is closed to new replies.