Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Criminal has registered various details at our address
  • TheFlyingOx

Not quite sure what to do about this one. Long and short of it, a few months ago we got some bank mail to our address, never heard of the guy it was addressed to. New bank card, PIN number, etc. so a fairly major cock up somewhere, or so I thought. I called the bank and got them to remove our address from their system and thought no more of it. Today we’ve had a “signed for” letter addressed to the same guy regarding details of his arrest, remand, holding of his car at local police impound, the lot. I’m starting to think that something dodgy is going on and, at the very least, our credit score is going to be in tatters.
    Don’t even know where to start getting all mentions of this person removed from our address.
    Anyone got any ideas?

Oh, and we now know who he is. Local, seems ok but obviously been up to no good.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Naughty, very naughty.

shermer75
    Free Member

What would TD do

Cougar

at the very least, our credit score is going to be in tatters.

Credit score is linked to individuals, not addresses, AFAIK.

shermer75
    Free Member

this forum is so hard to use!!

croe
    Free Member

The last time I looked at my credit report online fairly sure it had a linked addresses section.

TheFlyingOx

Well precisely, shermer75. I’m a paragon of virtue, pillar of the community, riding God, all-round debonair bastard. That kind of thing. Other guy is a spotty, dumpy youth that bombs about the place in an apparently uninsured shitted up “scene” VW.

kcal

For a while after my mum had moved out to sheltered housing (not before I don’t think); I’d pick up a good few insurance documents – not just quotes but full on insurance details – car insurance.

Not sure what was going on, initially I though it was a mix-up with name/address but it’s a low cost insurance area so I think something dodgy was going on w.r.t. insurance but at different address. Don’t know how they twigged on her address though.

mashr

The last time I looked at my credit report online fairly sure it had a linked addresses section.

Addresses linked to the individual

boomerlives
    Free Member

Go on spending spree. Relax in the knowledge that names and addresses aren’t in any way connected.

If you believe the above advice, obv

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Addresses can be blacklisted and can affect the credit score of people living there – for example, shared flats, etc.

But for that to happen they have to be on the Electoral Roll at that address.

There are many sites where you can check your credit score plus other details such as Electoral Roll so keep checking in case anything changes.

In the meantime, just stick any unsolicited mail back in the post after writing “not at this address” on the front of the envelope.

slimboyjim
    Free Member

I would suggest notifying the local police – if he’s giving your address to them then the last thing you want is them waking you in the middle of the night if they are looking for him…

Greybeard
    Free Member

I understood that credit score links people at the the same address if believe hey are related, but otherwise. Worth asking the agencies for copy of their records on you, anyway.

I assume you didn’t sign for the correspondence, so the sender should already know the guy isn’t living at your address?

Rich_s

Um, that’s what I was wondering. Surely you send mail back to sender “not known at this address” etc. Why would you sign for a letter that’s not yours?

TheFlyingOx

We didn’t. We weren’t in. The cleaner was though…
    The missus recognised the envelope through exposure at her job so opened it to see who to get in contact with. She’s phoned the police and given them the correct address but my thinking is that now we know who he is, and more importantly which house he lives in, there’s a fairly strong possibility he’s using our address to keep the police away from his.

el_boufador

You can dispute data in your credit report and the agency and the information supplier have a time-limited period to investigate and rectify, should anything dodgy turn up.
    You can also have notices of dispute/ correction added to your report which must be taken into account by any lender making a decision on the basis of it.

Rich_s

We didn’t. We weren’t in. The cleaner was though…

Blimey. Kinda lucky then!

footflaps

For a while after my mum had moved out to sheltered housing (not before I don’t think); I’d pick up a good few insurance documents – not just quotes but full on insurance details – car insurance.

Not sure what was going on, initially I though it was a mix-up with name/address but it’s a low cost insurance area so I think something dodgy was going on w.r.t. insurance but at different address. Don’t know how they twigged on her address though.

In the paper recently, apparently a huge racket in cheap (and invalid) insurance. A dodgy broker registers 100s of his clients to a street in a low crime area and sells on the cheap (and invalid) insurance to higher risk drivers. Can’t recall where, but residents of one street were getting 10s of insurance documents a months to each house all year round….

BillMC

I acted as a guarantor for my daughter when she was in a Hall of residence. Some years later someone defaulted on their rent and my name appeared. It doesn’t appear to be straightforward.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Criminal has registered various details at our address’ is closed to new replies.