Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Creaking under load – possibly BB?
  • jayx2a
    Free Member

So this is a new creak this weekend. Only creaks when under load. For the most part when on the flats and just lightly pedaling there is no noise, but when going up the hills or just putting more pressure on the flats you can hear the creak (whether I am standing or sitting).

It sounds like its coming from the BB area, but my last creak was from teh compeletly differnt area so I cant 100% be sure.

Worth just taking off the crans and regreasing it all?

Any other possible places that could cause the creak under load?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Is it FS?

simon_g

BB is really common, and doesn’t always sound or feel like it is.

Could have sworn last week my left pedal bearings were falling apart – nope, gruanchy BB instead. Stuck a new one in and all good again.

vincienup
    Free Member

Might be worth checking the hanger is plumb straight, but otherwise could be many things. What (if anything) have you moved/changed recently?

gkeeffe

Pedal possibly? Grease and tighten.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Yeah its FS – nothing canged recently from what I can remember – its had a recent service so all shoudl be running ok! Guess i will just grease everything bit by bit!

pdw
    Free Member

If it’s QR rear, check it’s tight.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Yep it QR – will have a look at that too!

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve had a QR rear axle creak under load, just needed a bit of grease on it to sort things out.

pedlad

I’ve got to chase one of these down on pedlad eldest son’s. Changed the bb (which did need doing) thinking that would be an easy fix but still creaking like a b’stard when you pedal. Nothing when you bounce but don’t pedal so I don’t think it’s the suspension bearings.

mikeys

I had this once and replacing the chainring was the eventual solution after lots of changing of bb, tightening pedals etc. It was a narrow wide and a bit worn but I thought it had some life left in it. A brand new one solved it.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Could be the mech clutch if it’s got one. They get notchy and creaky.

pedlad

Sorted mine – pretty certain it was cassette lockring not tight enough, but did grease QR, dropout and mech

russianbob
    Free Member

What crank do you have?

superjohn71
    Free Member

If you are clipped in, try greasing your cleats very sparingly.

MrPottatoHead

My last one like this ended up being a slightly loose replaceable dropout 🤷‍♂️

molgrips
    Free Member

I know how it feels.

nicko74

The last creak I had sounded like the BB, even though the BB was pretty new. I went round tightening chainring bolts, checking the QRs were tight, tightened up the saddle bolts and seatclamp. Eventually I think I traced it to the bottle cage bolts – they were a bit loose, so under load the minute flexing of the frame caused them to creak. Greased and tightened and seems to have been banished for now.

grimep
    Free Member

I get that a lot, for me it’s the BB creaking against the frame. I tried copperease grease last time, worked for about one ride. Thick white waterproof grease is better

skink2020

Bet you it’s the rear wheel bearings.

blueflamespecial
    Free Member

I’d try the chainring bolts first. Amazing how much noise just one can make if its even slightly loose.

easily
    Free Member

@nicko74
    Bottle cage bolts! I’d never have thought of that! Right, I’m checking mine tomorrow.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Its Sram GX Eagle – Eagle Cranks too.

Going to have a play later and see if I can find it!

rone

Freehub. Easy to identify. Will just get worse and the bearings will collapse.

bgascoyne
    Free Member

Rear cassette not tight and dry. I had that on mine – I was sure it was my BB so I replaced the bearings only to find the creaking still there. Tracked it down to the cassette. Took it off, cleaned it up. Bit of grease and done!

jayx2a
    Free Member

So many possibles. Will do one bit at a time and hopefully track it down!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Creaking under load – possibly BB?’ is closed to new replies.